Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA~ Don't Be In Such Damn Hurry To Eat

Options
13»

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's ^^^^^ funny because I have done thismany times many years ago though. Probably about when Rocky was whooping Apollo Creeds A$$ :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Every male in his teens that saw Rocky drink those raw egg's did it at least once.
    Jacksonville FL
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    @hapster..Prepping Egg for doing caveman. Any ideas for sides..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options

I thought all you Pennsylvanians were tough and routinely drank raw eggs.

I just watched that last week and gagged at that scene, lol.
    Dunedin, FL
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Hap, you might need a little yogurt or some probiotics to help get you system back in order. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better. Was just reading about eggs and salmonella and apparently the only way to be sure is to cook the eggs until there are no soft parts. I like hard boiled and scrambled eggs and can't stand runny egg whites, but I do like a runny yoke! Pasteurized eggs I guess.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Hap, I am SO glad you are feeling better. I hope your appetite comes back soon.

As for food safety...I get my eggs straight from the farmer. Perhaps I should worry more, but I don't. I was the outsides before using (which is where the cooties would be) and then use them as needed. My eggs are over easy, my mayo is fresh, and my carbonarra is yummy. I don't make cookie dough...but if I did, I'd eat it raw.

Having said that, I won't let my kids drink raw milk. I'm not crazy about the whole pasturazation process, but the potential effects of raw milk have successfullly frightened me enough to comprimise.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Dam... salmonella is no joke... Glad your well :)
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    @Hapster. That's funny my mom used to give us cream of mushroom when we were kids, god only knows why! Now our household staple for sick people is Ramen Noodles. My five year old calls them long noodle soup, as apposed to short noodle soup( chicken noodle soup). First time I heard her ask for it by long noodle soup I was like what the hell? My wife set me straight and now we all call it that. Hope you feel 100% soon buddy!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Even contemplating a cook tonight, maybe an overnight butt or two... not sure :)
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Options
    Contemplating a cook... that's really a good sign @hapster. Glad your feeling better.
  • hapster
    Options
    Keefer said:
    Contemplating a cook... that's really a good sign @hapster. Glad your feeling better.
    The weather is amazing... I want to smell the egg doing it's thing while I'm out there listening to the Tigers later. I may, just may, even try an adult beverage this evening... that's still a big if though :))
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    hapster said:
     Test confirmed that the cause was salmonella; most likely from my undercooked omelet.
    Hi Hapster,

I have question if you don't mind.

Were the eggs store bought or do you raise chickens?

I think I heard somewhere that eating raw eggs like some people do (I've watched Letterman do it on TV with Stallone et al), that you have a 20% chance of getting salmonella from that practice, but I would expect if the odds were truly one in 5, anyone that drinks raw eggs regularly would soon get sick and quit the practice.

Anyway, with that said, I'm wondering do sunnyside up eggs ever reach the 145 degree temperature on their top surface?  I've read that 145 is the required temperature for pasteurizing eggs and the yolk can reach that temp without hardening.  I've pasteurized egg yolks myself in the microwave for use in Pasta Carbonera.

BTW, glad to hear you are recovering and doing fine.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• hapster
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    hapster said:
     Test confirmed that the cause was salmonella; most likely from my undercooked omelet.
    Hi Hapster,

I have question if you don't mind.

Were the eggs store bought or do you raise chickens?

I think I heard somewhere that eating raw eggs like some people do (I've watched Letterman do it on TV with Stallone et al), that you have a 20% chance of getting salmonella from that practice, but I would expect if the odds were truly one in 5, anyone that drinks raw eggs regularly would soon get sick and quit the practice.

Anyway, with that said, I'm wondering do sunnyside up eggs ever reach the 145 degree temperature on their top surface?  I've read that 145 is the required temperature for pasteurizing eggs and the yolk can reach that temp without hardening.  I've pasteurized egg yolks myself in the microwave for use in Pasta Carbonera.

BTW, glad to hear you are recovering and doing fine.
    Thanks... they were store bought
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Glad you're okay....thanks for sharing....we all think it probably won't happen to us....but when it happens it reinforces our food safety practices....thanks for making me be a little more careful!

LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight