Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dickey's BBQ

Options
2»

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not a fan
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    If you compare it to an actual barbecue restaurant, it's probably not going to fare well.  If you compare it to the fast food alternatives, it starts looking a lot better.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    OK for a pre-Egg airport meal. At least I thought so traveling through DFW before I got an Egg. Now I'm just another BGE BBQ snob!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Funny story. The Dickey's by me just closed yesterday.

They haven't paid their employees since 7/2. Nice to see they live up to their name.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2014
    Options
    they are coming soon - tmi
    Options
    Had one open in Snellvlle Ga about 5 years ago. It closed within 4 months. We had a Famous Daves about 8 miles up the road about 8 years ago that closed within a year. They both were awful excuses for BBQ.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    Here's the one in Katy, TX:

I think that's @cazzy out front.  He told me it's amazing!
    @cazzy sent me an angry text about this post - he said that while he agrees that Dickey's is the best Que outside of Franklin's, that's actually @SGH out front.  My mistake, brother!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's an awesome mustache whoever it is.  This was my previous fav.

Options
    http://abc7chicago.com/food/lye-laced-tea-critically-burns-grandma-eating-at-bbq-restaurant/262703/
    SALT LAKE CITY -- Jan Harding and her husband had just arrived at a Utah restaurant for a relaxing lunch with friends when she filled her cup with sweet tea from a self-serve beverage station. The 67-year-old grandmother took one sip before spitting it out and exclaiming to her husband: "I think I just drank acid!" In fact, the tea was laced with a highly toxic industrial cleaning solution meant for degreasing deep fryers, authorities said. It contained the odorless chemical lye, the active ingredient in drain cleaners. Four days later, Harding was in critical condition Thursday at a Salt Lake City hospital's burn unit, unable to talk and fighting for her life, lawyer Paxton Guymon said. She hasn't improved since Sunday, when she and her husband went to Dickey's Barbecue Pit in South Jordan after church.
    Another good reason to Egg!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Good catch JohninCarolina.  I forgot there was a Dickey's thread here.  This news story was very disturbing, to say the least.   :(

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Wow - Lye in the drinks.  Scariest thing I've seen 
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I don't know how you mess that up. What the was lye doing near food or vice versa? Every food area I've ever worked in keeps foodstuffs and cleaning products on opposite sides of the kitchen.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    Ate there on e when my wife and I moved to Texas 11 years ago. I tried to order "dry ribs". The guy said..."they're dry before we out the sauce on them". Lol. We then both got food poisoning and spent the weekend in the ER / bed. Haven't gone back. Good luck.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    We had one in Greenville for a few years it sucked. Rudy's is the best chain. It's so good you won't even know your at a chain restaurant.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    edited August 2014
    Options
    texaswig said:
    We had one in Greenville for a few years it sucked. Rudy's is the best chain. It's so good you won't even know your at a chain restaurant.
    After Franklin's, Rudy's was the best brisket I had when I was visiting my FIL this past spring.

ETA, These were the places I went.
    Franklin's
    La BBQ
    Salt Lick
    Rudy's
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    http://abc7chicago.com/food/lye-laced-tea-critically-burns-grandma-eating-at-bbq-restaurant/262703/
    SALT LAKE CITY -- Jan Harding and her husband had just arrived at a Utah restaurant for a relaxing lunch with friends when she filled her cup with sweet tea from a self-serve beverage station. The 67-year-old grandmother took one sip before spitting it out and exclaiming to her husband: "I think I just drank acid!" In fact, the tea was laced with a highly toxic industrial cleaning solution meant for degreasing deep fryers, authorities said. It contained the odorless chemical lye, the active ingredient in drain cleaners. Four days later, Harding was in critical condition Thursday at a Salt Lake City hospital's burn unit, unable to talk and fighting for her life, lawyer Paxton Guymon said. She hasn't improved since Sunday, when she and her husband went to Dickey's Barbecue Pit in South Jordan after church.
    Another good reason to Egg!

BUMP.
    This is a "local" story anymore, but the lady is recovering; the couple hold no grudge against the restaurant, they're good people (better than I would be).  
    This story bothered me.  A lot.  Taking a swig of iced tea (which I do daily) and suddenly fighting for your life.... wow.    
    :(

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @botch me too. Her medical bills better at least be covered. It still blows my mind, especially since I've used the same type of chemicals but find it INSANE that they could get mistaken for a food product.