Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to grill with BGE? Is it worth it?

jld
jld Posts: 63
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
Love my BGE, and do a ton of BBQ'ing on it (pork, chicken, ribs, etc), but tomorrow having a party for about 35 people and having brats/hotdog fare.

My house came with a Weber Gas Grill which I was thinking would be easier, and would save the hassle of managing the egg during the party, but it got me thinking... how does one grill (hamburgers, hot dogs, etc) on an egg? Is it it better than gas for cooks so short? I can imagine cooking some really sweet burgers with a sear and then closing down to bake, but I don't have a huge desire to be tied to the grill all day either.

Thoughts? Tips?

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    The Egg isn't only a low and slow cooker.  

Potatoes

Desert

Chicken

Pizza 

Spatchcock
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I would be doing the brauts in a beer bath with onions and green peppers on the gasser and then the final sear on the egg. Really easy like this. I have a good gasser but would still use the egg for the dogs. You could grill all the dogs while the brauts are simmering then put the dogs in a covered pan and sear the brauts.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tarheelmatt
    It's not hard for general purpose stuff... I recommend a lighting technique that lights quick and come up to temp fast.  Tonight, for hot dogs, I had dogs on within 30 min.  That was roughing old lump, scraping ash, lighting, and then to come up to temp.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • I've got a Weber gas grill hooked up to natural gas.  14 years old and still works fine.  Haven't fired it up since getting the egg a couple years ago.  Makes a great storage cabinet.

If you ask my family, everything tastes better from the Egg.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Yes. Totally worth it. The egg is a passion, not just another cooker.
    NW IOWA
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    I'll second VanDawg. Used our Weber as accessory storage cabinet for a year before selling it and purchasing the second member of our egg family. We sear and cook our steaks to m/r in less than 6 mins.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2014
    jld said:
    Love my BGE, and do a ton of BBQ'ing on it (pork, chicken, ribs, etc), but tomorrow having a party for about 35 people and having brats/hotdog fare.

My house came with a Weber Gas Grill which I was thinking would be easier, and would save the hassle of managing the egg during the party, but it got me thinking... how does one grill (hamburgers, hot dogs, etc) on an egg? Is it it better than gas for cooks so short? I can imagine cooking some really sweet burgers with a sear and then closing down to bake, but I don't have a huge desire to be tied to the grill all day either.

Thoughts? Tips?
    I have noticed no difference in taste on hamburgers/hot dogs using the BGE vs. a gas grill.
    The BGE will be more fun to cook on and a prettier tool to use, but if your main goal on this day is to just char some meat and get back to the party...I'd use your Weber.  

Specially if you have a larger surface on the Weber...35 people, that means you are probably making a combination of 70 items.  You could do that in two rounds on the gas grill...or, if you want to have fun use them both.  Do one meat on the gasser and the other on the BGE...closing the lid a bit to slow down the cook and try to put the lump taste into those brats. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I use the Egg as a grill all the time, and have friends with Eggs that ONLY use them as grills - burgers, dogs, steaks.  My goal is to get them to see all the other things the Egg can do.  That's the advantage of the Egg. Bread, pizza, desserts, smoker, low and slow, hot and fast, cave man, roaster, Dutch Oven, CI seared, meat, vegetables, fruit, breakfast, bacon, french toast, eggs, seafood, raised direct, indirect, etc. etc. etc.  The versatility is the key  
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'm sure a gasser has a time and place. Don't misunderstand me here. I was tired of replacing part after part on my old gasser which realistically did not hold a candle to the flavor or flair I get from my egg. I had a medium to low high-end gasser. It found its home on the curb by my trashcan and w/in minutes so poor SOB nagged it. Look it doesn't take that long to get the egg ready»»»»creosote cleared and to temp. By the time I'm done w/ my prep it's ready. The flavor between the 2 vise versa is not even a contest. I have one outdoor gasser and that's for a kettle for large fryer or a large Low Country Boil. So per the OP title....hell ya it's worth it. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @jld‌
    Everyone has different tastes and preferences. That being said I much prefer the grilled taste of food from the egg as opposed to gas. Here is a small venue of items that I "grilled" on the egg with outstanding results. Given a choice and I would chose the egg over gas everyday of the week. Just my thoughts my friend.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    You asked: Is the BGE worth it as a grill? Yes sir. I think that it is.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    Just for the record. I'm a pretty big fan of the BGE!! Especially the mini! :D

Status- Standing by.

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    @SGH‌ Grilled watermelon? How's that?
    NW IOWA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2014
    The egg can certainly be used as as grill.  I think the egg adds some smoke flavor.  Even though it is a shorter cook I can definitely tell the difference between a burger cooked on a gas grill vs the egg.   I don't have a working gas grill so I use my large and small eggs are my only tools for grilling.  

That being said I agree it might be hard to pull cook for 35 people on an egg.  Assuming you have a large egg, an 18 inch grid is a relatively small grill. 

I like the idea of using both if they are next to each other.  For example, you could grill some brats for a while on the egg and then transfer them to a beer and onion bath on the gasser.  Load up the egg with burgers and use the remaining space on the gasser for dogs and burgers as well.  You could do a head to head taste test of egged burger vs gasser burger.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Yes it may be hard to get hot dogs and hamburgers for 35 people, but you'll most likely be putting on 2 pork butts instead once you get the egg. I can't remember the last time I grilled dogs (and I love hotdogs)
    Dunedin, FL
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Did some simple beef dowgs last nite on the egg. I was smacking like it was a ribeye.

The food just taste better on the egg. Very noticeable difference in flavor and moisture retention.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited August 2014
    KiterTodd said:
    I have noticed no difference in taste on hamburgers/hot dogs using the BGE vs. a gas grill.

Weird.  I've had the exact opposite experience - dogs and burgers on the BGE are AMAZING compared to cooking them on the Weber.

I actually go through the extra work of cleaning the Mini BGE out, loading it with lump and waiting for startup (can be at 400 in about 12 minutes) just to cook a couple of dogs.

I took some pics last time I did dogs on the Mini BGE but forgot to save them to the camera roll (from SnapBot) and don't have them any longer - but will post the next batch when I do some.

Hamburgers on the Mini are moist, smoky, and just undescribeable compared to cooking them on the Weber (dry, comparatively flavorless, no smoky flavor, etc). 

I've found part of the reason for the smoky goodness is using RO lump on the Mini and the closeness of the food to the fire..I use OO + RO on the KJ, but the RO puts off copious amounts of smoke on the little Mini and food on it - regardless of whether it's dogs, burgers, chops or anything else have a taste I haven't been able to replicate on the gasser.

Like some others, I haven't turned on my Weber since I got my Mini (and KJ) and it's now it's not much more than a glorified Kamado accessory storage cabinet..

PS: Since I have a Cookshack SM025 for dedicated smoking (which does an AMAZING job), I only use the Mini BGE and Kamado Joe Classic for grilling (literally 'everything' from Spatchcock chick to Chops to Burgers to Chick parts) and pizzas.  No L&S on the KJ as it's on a wood deck and I don't want to leave an unattended fire for 12-16 hours..

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You should do whatever you think is best for your situation. The idea is to enjoy yourself and your guests. When we do cook demos at our store we almost always do a range of dishes from baking to bbq to emphasize the versatility of the egg. It truly is a grill, oven, and smoker. The egg is a top notch performer for all tasks , IMO. That said, don't sweat it and enjoy the day.
  • tarheelmatt
    KiterTodd said:
    jld said:

Thoughts? Tips?
    The BGE will be more fun to cook on and a prettier tool to use, but if your main goal on this day is to just char some meat and get back to the party...I'd use your Weber.  

Specially if you have a larger surface on the Weber...35 people, that means you are probably making a combination of 70 items.  You could do that in two rounds on the gas grill...or, if you want to have fun use them both.  Do one meat on the gasser and the other on the BGE...closing the lid a bit to slow down the cook and try to put the lump taste into those brats. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I was never happy with my burgers till I got a egg. I can tell a huge difference. Night and day from egg to gas. Egg burgers are way better. And not near as many flare ups.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    My gasser has just been collecting dust since buying the BGE.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    My burgers are 100 times better on the egg than in my weber. They are very very Juicy and the flavor is much better.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    KiterTodd said:
    jld said:

Thoughts? Tips?

No difference in flavour? Are you nuts?
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    To answer your question, yes, it's worth it.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I "grill" frequently, but when you use a closed dome ceramic cooker, even if briefly, it turns out better than dessicated meat on a gasser or briquiette grill.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    jld said:

Thoughts? Tips?
    Yes, you can grill on the BGE like others have said. 
    There are some hardcore Eggers that use their egg for everything they can imagine.
    Then there are others like me that consider the Egg just one tool in a whole arsenal of cooking tools. (Yes, I could cook a Lasagne on the Egg, but I prefer to cook it in my oven).
    So I still have my gasser with rotisserie and I use it when I decide it is the cooking tool I want to use, and yes, when cooking 3 hamburgers for my small family, it's the gasser outside or a frying pan on the range inside.  But if I want to grill up some chicken wings or drumsticks, it's the BGE.
    As they say, it's your party, the choice is whatever you prefer to do.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    I sometimes have to use a Weber, and I use only lump. It gets reasonable results, but suffers greatly in lack of control.
    Kemah, TX
  • What I do when I am cooking for a crowd and doing brats & burgers, and this may be sacrilege, I will grill/smoke the brats at about 350 on the Egg---about 15/20 minutes.  I then transfer the brats to a disposable aluminum pan, with beer in the bottom and peppers and onions on top.  Seal the pan with foil, and place on the gas grill indirect.  I shoot for 325-350 on the gasser,  I am basically steaming the brats until cooked.  I also do about the same method with the burgers--get my char marks, let them sit and smoke, then do the aluminum pan trick.  Like I said, this is my preferred method when cooking for a crowd.

Thanks,
    Mitch
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    No....
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2014
    LOL...  I knew I'd get some disagreements on that.  Don't get me wrong, just about every food I cook on the large egg is noticeably better as you know.   It's incredible.   But, in my experience frozen hamburger patties (like you'd normally buy for a crowd) and hot dogs do not taste measurably different.  Certainly not that your average guest would notice the difference.

YMMV.
    No disrespect intended...I know in some circles these are fightin' words!    :D

I would like to get the smokey lump goodness embedded into my burgers or dogs, but I don't.  A big thick home made patty would be different.  It's on there longer, is better quality, and is doing more than just dripping off fat until done like the supermarket frozen patties.
    LBGE/Maryland