Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying this Frozen Steak Thing

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So after seeing all the stuff about cooking frozen steaks, thought I'd give it a try. About 1.5# Porterhouse. Going reverse sear on the Small. We'll see...
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Good luck and enjoy..,

Thinking about some beef bullion and crackers later :((
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Bring it on home brother! Sure it will be fantastic.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    My understanding of the frozen steak thang was you sear first, then roast.  Which would make sense as the core temp would be much lower than it would be with an unfrozen cut.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    That was my understanding of the technique as well. Quickly sear the outside while fully frozen, then roast at a low temp to bring the meat to temp.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @cazzy and @ChillyWillis have it right, the frozen steak is seared in a pan with oil, lots of oil to maybe 1/8" deep. Because the steak is frozen you get only about 1/8" of grey overcooked edge rather than the 1/4" grey overcooked edge you would get if you seared a room temp thawed steak. 

Good luck, let us know if you are onto something. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    Options
    I know I should have seared first, but I didn't feel like cleaning up the stove from the oil splatter, and I was going to start both eggs just for this.

This wasn't really because I wanted to try it, just poor planning on my part. Who knows, I'll take cross section pics and see what the gradient looks like. IT is at 106* right now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    Options
    The results will likely not be much different than your normal steak cooks.
  • DMW
    Options
    Here it is. Slightly larger gray band than I usually get. Next time I will pan sear first on frozen steaks and see how that goes.

And the bone after I gnawed it. :D

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    cazzy said:

Sure looks good (as usual) can you tell any differences?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Thanks. Only difference I could notice was the gray band was a bit deeper than when I reverse sear thawed steaks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• cazzy
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

cazzy said:

I agree...looks great to me!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Good to know. I never would have done that prior to this thread but maybe I'll consider it for last minute meals.
    Dunedin, FL