Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA~ Don't Be In Such Damn Hurry To Eat

Options

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I also worry about getting salmonella and other illnesses from the vegetables. The rate of salmonella in eggs is very low now - something like 1 in 20,000 eggs - so I take my chances and eat them a little undercooked. But I probably don't wash my vegetables well enough.

Glad to hear you are well.
    -- B
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Are you sure it was from the eggs?

Options
    paqman said:

Only thing really it could have been... Everything else I cooked or we had out was shared by all, I was the only one to eat my omelet... Thank god I was the only one to get sick.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited August 2014
    Options
    hapster said:

paqman said:

Only thing really it could have been... Everything else I cooked or we had out was shared by all, I was the only one to eat my omelet... Thank god I was the only one to get sick.
    Man, that's scary! Your omelette looks well done when compared to the ones I am cooking for myself...

edited August 2014
    Options
    Glad you're on the mend.

"PTO" is.....?  

"PSA" is.....?
    :-/

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    That blows.  
    LOL.

I see what you did there.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That sounds awful. Glad to hear that you're feeling better now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options

Glad you're feeling better, hap! 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Botch said:

Glad you're on the mend.

"PTO" is.....?  

"PSA" is.....?
    :-/
    PTO is paid time off

PSA was fine at the last ass doc appointment.
  • hapster
    Options
    Just had a half a grilled cheese... Heaven. The bite of of the 2nd half? Not so much...

Back to broth

I'm such and **** :))
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    I gotta stop letting my kids eat the cookie batter :( but it's so good :)

Maybe I'll get pasteurized eggs.
    Aurora,OH
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Glad you got better. Salmonella poisoning is no joke. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kielbasa
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Sorry to here about your illness. You might want to do a thorough cleaning of kitchen if you haven't done so yet.
    You might of just got a bad egg, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket per se. Meaning, don't rule out other possible means of contamination. Hopefully it was just a bad egg and problem is fixed.

So does mean no Friday Night cook? If not, I'll be ready for next Fridays.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • hapster
    Options
    stemc33 said:

Sorry to here about your illness. You might want to do a thorough cleaning of kitchen if you haven't done so yet.

You might of just got a bad egg, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket per se. Meaning, don't rule out other possible means of contamination. Hopefully it was just a bad egg and problem is fixed.

I don't see any cooks for a bit, unless you want sexy pics of saltines and broth ;)
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    hapster said:

I don't see any cooks for a bit, unless you want sexy pics of saltines and broth ;)

With your photography skills, you'd make all of us trade our steak in for crackers and soup.

Well, maybe not. ;)
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I see the good, the bad, and the ugly in this. The good, well, what can I say, I myself am only a few food poisoning bouts away from my ideal weight so that's the bright side here if there is one, but maybe you don't have that problem to begin with. The bad, could be that the tomatoes were the source of the salmonella. Google it and you will see that they often carry it internally from the garden from a variety of sources and it's not easy to detect ahead of time. The ugly here, besides me, is that dude, you prepped for a colonoscopy and then didn't cash in so next time maybe while you're in the ER see if you can't make a deal to kill two birds. Seriously, get better soon!
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Very glad to hear you are finally feeling better, thank you sir for sharing the story to remind us all.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Dang Hap.... what a bummer! Glad to hear you are starting to feel human again.
    There is nothing quite like food poisoning.
    Enjoy that cigar my friend.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    That sucks!  Glad you're feeling better!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Scraple. I need that right now!
    Dunedin, FL
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Glad you are on the road to recovery. FYI, you can buy pasteurized eggs in the grocery store. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    @hapster‌ it might not have been the eggs or your fault, never will know. But food safety isn't something to be taken lightly. Lots of nasty germs out there. Get well my friend, we miss your Friday night cooks already.
    Jacksonville FL
  • hapster
    Options
    Dobie said:

@hapster‌ it might not have been the eggs or your fault, never will know. But food safety isn't something to be taken lightly. Lots of nasty germs out there. Get well my friend, we miss your Friday night cooks already.

Thank you... Me too LOL
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Hapster, 

Did you use any condiments, I see the cheese, hot sauce, anything else? When I was in college I made myself sick with food poisoning twice. Once with tuna salad and once with egg salad. I thought the culprit was the tuna or the eggs. Turned out to be the jar of mayo. Just thinking you should check anything you used and maybe toss it. I had a friend who got sick from hot sauce, because he did not refrigerate it after he opened it, as directed. Be safe buddy, glad your felling better. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @hapster‌ I'm thankful you're feeling a bit better. #18 lost in a matter of days. That's a boat load of image

FWIW I used to prepare my eggs for myself over easy (runny whites and yolks). I now do mine over medium (runny yolks only).
    Again I'm glad you're okay amigo. Good PSA.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Glad you are feeling better, hope you continue to improve
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    You know, I was wondering where hap was - hadn't seen him post in a while. Glad all is well now and that you're on the mend! Soon you'll be egging again!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    So stupid question. When is an egg not safe to eat? I have always eaten them over easy to over medium range and never been sick. I prefer just the yolk runny but it a little of the white is not a big deal right? Am I risking getting sick?
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Glad you are feeling better Hapster!  I just got over a rather nasty stomach flu myself, only a 24 hour bug but it left me unable to eat solids for 4 days.  Just fired up the egg for the first time in a week tonight for some chicken kabobs and sausages.  I still haven't got the appetite back yet, but it felt good to get back at it. 

Hope you are back to Eggin soon!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I thought all you Pennsylvanians were tough and routinely drank raw eggs.

Flint, Michigan