Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Is your Big Green Egg still cooking even though it’s cold out? We hope so! We love the opportunity to cook heartier meals on the EGG during the winter. Some recipes you definitely want to try are Double Smoked Potatoes, BBQ Chicken Soup, Monte Cristo Sandwich and Breakfast Quiche. These are sure to keep your stomach warm & full! We can’t wait to see what winter-inspired dishes you cook!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

PSA~ Don't Be In Such Damn Hurry To Eat

Hope everyone is doing well...

Just a little cautionary tale to help remind everyone of food safety.

Last Thursday in an effort to put together a quick dinner, I figured why not whip up some simple tomatoe and cheese omelets. Luckily I took enough time with my wife and daughter's before I made mine. Apparently I didn't cook mine long enough...

My body let me know this rather dramatically starting Sunday afternoon around 2pm after returning home from brunch for the inlaws. From then till Wednesday morning, about every 30min round the clock, I basically prepped for a colonoscopy, accompanied by fever and occasional vomiting.

My wife took me to the ER Wednesday and they pumped me full of IV inbetween trips to the toilet and loaded me with potassium pills. After several hours they sent me home...

Now it's Friday.... I've eaten a whole 2 small bowls of oatmeal all week, burned PTO days I didn't want to(happy to have them though), and I'm about 18lbs lighter than I was Sunday morning.

Test confirmed that the cause was salmonella; most likely from my undercooked omelet.

I am truely grateful that I'm the only one I harmed with my haste and impatience.

Please make sure and remember good food safety practices while enjoying our passion, especially while enjoying them with adult beverages(not in play in this case).

Happy sitting here now on the deck in this beautiful weather, enjoying a cigar and large glass of water as I start to feel somewhat human again.

Egg on and be well!!!

Looks pretty good don't it? :))

Comments

• CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,655
    Wow is that scary! Glad you're on the mend. Thanks for the warning!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 3,028
    Man that sucks! Glad to hear your getting better though... :D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,685
    edited August 2014
    Hope you feel better Hap!! I really didn't think you did it to yourself when you told me about. Holy ****. Do you flip your omlettes or do you just cook one side?

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • jcasparyjcaspary Posts: 1,477
    Glad you're ok Hapster!!  Enjoy the water and hope you get to egging soon.  Thanks for the PSA!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,921
    Damn Hap! Sorry for your misfortune and glad you are now doing well.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DMWDMW Posts: 8,479
    Glad to hear you're on the mend. That sucks though. 

That plate does look good, do I see scrapple on there?
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,409
    I will only eat French style omelettes. I can't stand an omelette rubbery.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,873
    Sorry man. I had that in Mexico where they don't refrigerate the eggs. Not a good feeling.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,280
    Thanks guys...

Cooked only on the one side, no flip.

And yes, that is some scrapple and kelbasie
  • RRPRRP Posts: 17,338
    Sorry to hear that as a reminder that it can still happen. Just the same I love my raw egg Caesar salad dressing I make plus I insist that my egg yolks be nice and runny or I won't eat them! I had food poisoning once from seafood so I know the seriousness, pain and discomfort you went through, but I'll still take my chances with eggs as dumb as that sounds!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • SGHSGH Posts: 19,300
    @hapster‌
    Glad to hear that all is well my friend. Having a first class seat on the toilet train is no fun at all. Thankful to hear all is well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
  • So how did the colonoscopy go?

........................................................................................

Shangri la where life is beautiful and everybody's happy.

So how did the colonoscopy go?

LOL...
  • XC242XC242 Posts: 686
    Glad to hear you're okay. When you were in the hospital as long as you were getting rid of everything did you take advantage of the opportunity for the colonoscopy???
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 17,915
    That blows.  Sorry to hear and glad you're over it.

If you have a SV rig, you can put your eggs in at 134.6F for 2 hours and completely eliminate that risk. 

XC242 said:

Glad to hear you're okay. When you were in the hospital as long as you were getting rid of everything did you take advantage of the opportunity for the colonoscopy???

No... I had one a few years ago. I was simply trying to describe nicely the volume and violence of the round the clock diarriah I was experiencing.

There's no way anything that wasn't supposed to be in there hung on during that.
  • That blows.  Sorry to hear and glad you're over it.

If you have a SV rig, you can put your eggs in at 134.6F for 2 hours and completely eliminate that risk. 
    and they are sooooo good too

• Thanks for the "volume and violence" picture. Might not sleep tonight.

• johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 2,899
    Glad to hear you are on the mend..Thanks for sharing.Get well soon,and have a great weekend.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,067
    IF you get the shits, BRAT diet and lots of clears.
  • LitLit Posts: 5,021
    18 pounds in a week? 1 omelet please! Just kidding glad your better
    Lit said:

18 pounds in a week? 1 omelet please! Just kidding glad your better

I'd rather have 15lbs and the PTO back. :)
    @hapster‌
    Agreed brother. 100%.^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    SGH said:

@hapster‌
    Agreed brother. 100%.^^^^^^^

Amen... I didn't need to get any better looking. :))
  • @johnmitchellThanks for sharing.

Centex: Would have been fine not knowing

@hapster‌
    I have the same problem my friend. Every where I go women mob me! ;)

Status- Standing by.

That was another attempt at humor.^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,217
    "Volumne and violence"  Great quote, but Pics or it didn't happen
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    thetrim said:

"Volumne and violence"  Great quote, but Pics or it didn't happen

:))
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,359
    Glad you are feeling up to your old self, not a great experience I bet. 
    Sounds like you need a Trés Booblay machine, as noted above you can "pasteurize" your eggs and enjoy them how you like. We have rediscovered the coddled egg in a Caesar Salad thanks to sous vide. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter.