Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy with questions regarding time

Options
I am doing my first butt tomorrow on my egg. I have smoked meat before and always averages 2 hours/pound @ 215 degrees. I have trouble getting my egg to hold that low of a temp, so I am planning on doing it around 250 degrees. How much should I reduce my "time block" based upon the rise of 35 degrees? 
1 Medium BGE(for now)
1 Charcoal Weber
1 Wood burner
Plans for much more......

Jackson - TN

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    The grate temperature will be around 225 so it's not off by much, that being said I always allow 2 hours per pound and that way its done and can hold in a cooler if needed.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    Options
    In my experience it varies greatly depending on the butt. I did an 8 lb but last weekend at 250 and it took almost 15 hours. That said it was by far the longest stall I've even encountered. If I were you I'd plan on around the same amount of time, and if it's done an hour or two early FTC it until it's time to pull and eat.
  • Cliff_Oo
    Cliff_Oo Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the info and am looking forward to the initial butt as well as the initial low and slow with the new platesetter

1 Medium BGE(for now)
    1 Charcoal Weber
    1 Wood burner

Jackson - TN
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    looking forward to see some pictures oh welcome
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

Good Luck, I'm sure it will be good!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Cliff_Oo said:
    I am doing my first butt tomorrow on my egg. I have smoked meat before and always averages 2 hours/pound @ 215 degrees. I have trouble getting my egg to hold that low of a temp, so I am planning on doing it around 250 degrees. How much should I reduce my "time block" based upon the rise of 35 degrees? 
    I don't have any problem holding 200*. The lower vent is open a fraction of an inch and I keep a floor fan running on low about three feet away from the front of the egg.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I've seen 1.5 hour per pound at 250 then check the temp. If, based on serving time, you need to bump it to 350 for a bit to get to temp will not hurt it. 

I learned with help here that you've got to catch the temp going up. It's more difficult to bring it down. 

Good luck. My first butt was a fun eggsperience and turn out well. Just plan ahead with your light time, time to temp time, cook time and rest time. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I usually run my dome temp at 250°F and pretty regularly get right at 1.5 hours per pound, but there are outliers every now and then.  In those rare cases where I get past 1.5 per pound, I start cheating the temp upwards to push it past the stall.  By then you pretty much have all of the smoke that you need.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    The problem with basing cook time on weight is i can guarantee you, that it doesn't take 2 hours per pound to cook sliced bacon.  If you have a perfect cube or a perfect sphere of meat, it will take longer to reach the desired internal temp than if you have a long thin slab o'meat.  It is really about the surface area to volume ratio.  I don't have any fancy formulas to offer, but this is one reason why one 8 lb butt may finish quicker than another 8 lb butt.  It will depend upon the overall shape of the butt.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Cliff_Oo
    Options
    Update- fire started at 4:45 am. Butt on at 5:30. Its smelling good so far.

If the pics load in order it should be
    1) the butt rubbed yesterday
    2) my "smoking juice"
    3) the sexy beast on the grate
    4) a random picture of how the sky looked this am.
    1 Medium BGE(for now)
    1 Charcoal Weber
    1 Wood burner

Jackson - TN
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Looking good so far!
  • Cliff_Oo
    Options
    5 hours in and at 160° internally.
    1 Medium BGE(for now)
    1 Charcoal Weber
    1 Wood burner

Jackson - TN
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Lookin good!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Fine looking butt. Looks like you will be good. If it's early, you can ftc. When I go low and slow I look to cook raised indirect. That usually give me 1.5 hours per pound. If I go turbo it's like .75 per pound and taste the same.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Cliff_Oo
    Options
    Pulled off the egg at 4:30 exact. 10.5 hours. Then wrapped in foil and put in a cooler. Just pulled it and ate and it was delicious
    1 Medium BGE(for now)
    1 Charcoal Weber
    1 Wood burner

Jackson - TN