Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp in NOLA!!!

Options
Stay tuned, local people or those with frequent flier miles and a penchant for self-destruction.  Sometime in October, if all bodes well, we'll be having a brisket camp. 

What the f*ck is "brisket camp" you ask?!  I'm glad you asked. 

Brisket camp is basically an excuse for a few of us to get together, to officially learn the Texas method of brisket (yeah, right) and actually cook some brisket while replacing our blood with ethyl alcohol and meat by-products.   Seriously, Cen-Tex has cooked more briskets than I'm sure he cares to remember, and he'll be teaming up with me and special guest Eggcelsior (pending wife approval) for an educational and fun (and probably regretful) event lasting a couple days.  Our hope is that someone learns something useful.  And that no-one gets arrested or killed.  (special house lawyer available at discount rates!). 

I'll fill in the details as they materialize.  This event has limited space, and we're looking for some extra eggs.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    When is this scheduled for? I definitely need to learn how to Q a brisket. One day, I hope to post a "Nailed It" thread for Brisket.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't know zactly when, but the middle of October plus or minus two weeks, I can gar-un-tee!
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Hah. I'll prolly miss it by a few weeks. Next time I guess.

I'll just have to attend the Foodways 2015 Camp Brisket instead. :D

http://foodwaystexas.com/events/barbecue-camps/camp-brisket/
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It's a moving target right now.  Hey, you already know how to cook brisket like a pro.  You're welcome to attend if you can, but I want to get some locals involved and make New Orleans the brisket capitol of the world.  Texas will be forgotten for brisket and Aaron Franklin will cry rivers when the locals here perfect it.  People here can cook.  And eat.  They just don't know how to cook brisket.  This will be fixed, via grass roots.
    Options

but I want to get some locals involved and make New Orleans the brisket capitol of the world.  Texas will be forgotten for brisket and Aaron Franklin will cry rivers when the locals here perfect it.

=)) =)) =)) =))
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Count me so IN!!  I can easily bring the small... OR we can do it on the river at my place... just throwing it out there!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    Options
    In all seriousness, it sounds like a fun and educational event!! I'm sure the Darth Maul cup will make an appearance!! B-)
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Wish I was closer...sounds like a beersket fest.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy - that's an enticing invitation.  I'll keep it in mind if you're serious.

I was planning on renting the old Michaul's Cajun restaurant and dance hall, but I'm not sure it'll be available and we haven't cemented a date down yet.
    Options
    cazzy said:
    but I want to get some locals involved and make New Orleans the brisket capitol of the world.  Texas will be forgotten for brisket and Aaron Franklin will cry rivers when the locals here perfect it.
    =)) =)) =)) =))
    It's totally natural to laugh during times of lamentation.  Hang in there cazzy.

It has been on Hiatus since Salado. Might be time to crack the hermetically sealed "in case of party, break glass" box I keep It in.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    ^^^nola approves.  to break glass.
    Options
    We are building a Millennium Falcon float for the Intergalactic Krewe of Chewbacchus.  That cup will fit right in.
    River sounds fun but I'm not sure we should roll this out at anyone's home...Could get weird, and by all accounts, he seems like a very nice person.

I mean, a bunch of drunk people that met on the internet and keep all kinds of weird hours and habits meeting up at someone's lovely home on the river to cook briskets...what could possibly go wrong? :))

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Don't know zactly when, but the middle of October plus or minus two weeks, I can gar-un-tee!

Damn. Driving to Banff on the 10th. See you in Salado for class duex. Wish I could make that one. Headed to Glacier Nat and Banff then back to the west coast.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    River sounds fun but I'm not sure we should roll this out at anyone's home...Could get weird, and by all accounts, he seems like a very nice person.

I mean, a bunch of drunk people that met on the internet and keep all kinds of weird hours and habits meeting up at someone's lovely home on the river to cook briskets...what could possibly go wrong? :))

Alright, I am in!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Crap it's hell to get old. Well I was mostly the same in memory younger. Going on the trip in Sept. Would like to make your party my friend as I have never cooked a brisket. Plus Linda still talks about John's brisket.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Mickey - of course you're in oh venerable one.   Stay tuned for details.  October.  I'll be 50.  Midlife crisis is over, thanks to my last purchase of a death vehicle.  Basically the death star but made by BMW and with two wheels.
    edited August 2014
    Options
    We are building a Millennium Falcon float for the Intergalactic Krewe of Chewbacchus.  That cup will fit right in.
    He is available for loan for the right type of event and this seems like a reasonable request. He is all yours after Brisket Camp. Treat him well and he will guide you through the darkest of parties. Boring Chit chat? no problem for DM. Loudmouth doucher won't leave you or your lady alone (this could be me but don't judge)? DM has your back. people sipping wine or hipster beers? Nope- not for DM. He has been a true friend but he's too big for one man to hold. He runs on Titos and club soda but EW Black and Coke Zero work just fine too.

He can be like the "Flat Stanley" of the forum. I'll just send him around to people who have fun stuff coming up and they can post pics getting hammered with DM as their wing man. maybe I can get him added to the country guy's "summertime" video he posted on here. DM just cruising in the Master Craft listening to some killer country tunes. I bet DM loves Nashville Country. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    The cup can be added to this group, passed around the world, photographed and shared.

Options

Please listen to him. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I should be able to make myself available for this, depending on which weekend it ends up being.
    NOLA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The cup can be added to this group, passed around the world, photographed and shared.

Dylan looks much bigger in person...
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited August 2014
    Options
    If you're using theme cups you should include this one.  Would Nola be Bunson?image

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Oh hell yes. I'm in. MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Acn said:
    If you're using theme cups you should include this one.  Would Nola be Bunson?image
    yes. This is excellent

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @Mickey - of course you're in oh venerable one.   Stay tuned for details.  October.  I'll be 50.  Midlife crisis is over, thanks to my last purchase of a death vehicle.  Basically the death star but made by BMW and with two wheels.
    It ain't over until you sell the bike and the porsche... just sayin'. I didn't want to miss it anyway. Don't you take that from me NOLA! I need this. You can have your sanity back after October.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Lookie what I just ordered. JUKE BOX HEE-ROOO!!!!! EES GOT STARS IN HIS EYEZ!
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    DAm, I would love to come. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    DAm, I would love to come. 
    Bring it. Would love to have you