Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10Hr Sous Vide Mediteranian Style Lamb

Options
I've pretty much done nothing but stir up trouble around these parts the past few months and I haven't posted anything constructive in who knows how long. This cook seemed kind of cool when we thought of it so I thought I would share with the group as a sort of atonement for my forum sins of late.

TFJ came home with a leg of lamb steak from the whole foods and neither one of us had much of an idea what to do with it. Thought about grilling it hot and fast and doing a "street gyro" thing but thought it might be too tough for that. We do something similar with ground lamb so we did that too as a back up. It was delicious but no back up needed.

We gave the leg steak a 10hr bath today and pulled it and coated in a paste of EVOO, Lemon Juice, lemon zest, smoked paprika, fresh mint and organo and salt and pepper (make extra and use as a board sauce).
I seared on cast iron then dredged in the board sauce before carving.

The lamb was like the best ribeye you have ever had. Marbled, fork tender, and full of delicious nasty bits. The marrow was insanely good.

We served with wood fired naan, raita, farmers market tomatoes and feta. Home freaking run.

The patties were awesome too but the texture of this lamb steak was out of this world.

imageimage

Here it is just out of the bath and coated with the herb paste

On the egg for 60-90 per side

Dark and dank lamb marrow

imageimage

Marrow all gone:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Even Coop got in on the fun. Whatever marrow I left is long gone now. Happy dog.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nom nom nom...

Glad to see you posting again. You were the source of my wallet being lighter on a few occasions.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    That looks pretty good man.  My mom would tear up that marrow man.  Reminded me of my childhood when she would steal my bones and gross us out.  LOL
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:

Nom nom nom...

Glad to see you posting again. You were the source of my wallet being lighter on a few occasions.

Nothing makes me happier than costing people forum dollars. I do believe I have met my match in @badinfluence though. Might be the most accurate forum handle ever.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Dats fancy. Ima be doing me a leg now!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hmm- the finished pic didn't make it. Mediteranian street tacos:

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Hmm- the finished pic didn't make it. Mediteranian street tacos:
    I would crush that ****!   B-)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options

DMW said:

Nom nom nom...

Nothing makes me happier than costing people forum dollars. I do believe I have met my match in @badinfluence though. Might be the most accurate forum handle ever.
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ hey hey now I just plant the seed if you water it and nurture it at the end you get the fruit :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me brother Tex!! Excellent cook and thanks for sharing.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Fan-farkin-tastic! Love the street taco spin on this.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I love the crispy nasty bits of burned lamb.  That looks delicious - what temp did you SV?

I love the crispy nasty bits of burned lamb.  That looks delicious - what temp did you SV?

130- 10 hrs. Like butter.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

Fan-farkin-tastic! Love the street taco spin on this.

Was really tasty and I've never had a tough cut turn out so tender and juicy.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nom nom nom... Glad to see you posting again. You were the source of my wallet being lighter on a few occasions.
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ hey hey now I just plant the seed if you water it and nurture it at the end you get the fruit :D

you are selling some primo fruit my friend. :). Thanks for the input. This one may set a forum record. Hope so.
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    That looks absolutely amazing. I'm obsessed with lamb (which will happen to you when you live in New Zealand) and that is one if the finest looking lamb cooks I've seen in a long long time. Bravo sir! :-bd

I would DESTROY that marrow!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌ Do you live in New Zealand brother Chilly? Sorry to clutter your post brother Tex.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That looks absolutely amazing. I'm obsessed with lamb (which will happen to you when you live in New Zealand) and that is one if the finest looking lamb cooks I've seen in a long long time. Bravo sir! :-bd I would DESTROY that marrow!

here is another: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139841/sous-vide-lamb-loin-steaks-why-not#latest
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    looks great!  I really should buy a sous vide one of these days.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    @SGH‌ I lived on the south island of New Zealand for a year in a tiny town in the mountains called Wanaka. It was one of the finest places I've laid eyes on on this green earth. Truly breathtaking.

I've also lived in Scotland (Edinburgh) for two years. I've had itchy feet brother, and wandering has treated me well.

Now I live just south of Boston, where I was born and raised.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:

as a guy who loves to cook as much as you- go get one tomorrow. You can paint it up like darth maul and put it put on the patio. Nobody will ever notice :).
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ you are reaffirming my belief that I need to pick up a SV (although I have no doubt you'd pull off something delectable if only using an egg as well). Great looking cooks! I'm sure I'll be using these as inspiration for a cook of my own very soon...

With or without the SV your lamb recipes look phenomenal. Thanks for sharing.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

R2Egg2Q said:

as a guy who loves to cook as much as you- go get one tomorrow. You can paint it up like darth maul and put it put on the patio. Nobody will ever notice :).

Great idea! Maybe my wife won't notice! :D
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Very nice....I have often wondered what to do with those lamb steaks. Now I know..Thanks for sharing.
    :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ you are reaffirming my belief that I need to pick up a SV (although I have no doubt you'd pull off something delectable if only using an egg as well). Great looking cooks! I'm sure I'll be using these as inspiration for a cook of my own very soon... With or without the SV your lamb recipes look phenomenal. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you. The SV makes it so easy. Dropped it in at 9 am, worked all day, pulled at 7pm, seasoned and seared for 2 min total and ate. It was unbelievably tender and moist. Like the best ribeye you'e ever had but started as a sinewy, tough cheap leg cut. AND you get the marrow from the leg bone. This will be my go to cut for lamb every time now. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks incredible.  I love the finished street taco pic.  I have seen these at my local grocery store but had no idea what to do with them.  If I recall correctly they are cheap too.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    R2Egg2Q said:

Great idea! Maybe my wife won't notice! :D
    a little war paint and nobody will be the wiser :))

imageimage