Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder bacon is smoking on the small

Options
I decided to try my hand at curing a boneless piece of shoulder into bacon.  The pork bellies I am finding are thin, and kind of pricey, so giving this a try.  I am using Ruhlmans basic cure with a little extra sugar.  It cured for 9 days in the fridge.  Following that, I rinsed and gave it 2 days uncovered to develop a good pellicle.  I threw it on the small early this morning and have been holding sub 200 temps for 3-1/2 hours now with maple for smoke. Here is a pic at the start.

IT is now 129, I am headed to 140.  I will post another pic when it comes off.  I plan to cool and ultimately slice over the weekend.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Oh.... this one is going to be good! I can't wait to see your final results. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    makin' bacon.  I'm very interested in this...
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Here is the finished pic.  It got lots of smoke time, and I can tell it is really smoky.  I wrapped in plastic wrap and will let it sit and mellow in the fridge for a couple of days before I slice it.  I wish it was bigger!  I cut the bone end off a butt to make this, would like to find a boneless shoulder, though I will wait till I slice this to decide on the next one.
    Rochester, NY
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    That's interesting

Options
    Did you cheat a little bit?

Options
    paqman said:
    Cheat in what way?
    Rochester, NY
  • paqman
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

paqman said:

Cheat in what way?

Try a slice or two?

Options
    paqman said:
    paqman said:
    Cheat in what way?
    Try a slice or two?

I sure would have!,
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Actually I did not! 

Believe it or not I am working today and fairly busy (home office).  Wife just got the place cleaned up from a breakfast party she hosted, I don't have time to fry up a slice right now (though I can screw around on this forum - go figure).

You make me feel guilty!  I may fry up a couple slices at dinner time as I will be egging again tonight and plan to use the steel "flat top" for some zucchini pancakes.
    Rochester, NY
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Actually I did not! 

Believe it or not I am working today and fairly busy (home office).  Wife just got the place cleaned up from a breakfast party she hosted, I don't have time to fry up a slice right now (though I can screw around on this forum - go figure).

You make me feel guilty!  I may fry up a couple slices at dinner time as I will be egging again tonight and plan to use the steel "flat top" for some zucchini pancakes.
    Fry them up FOR dinner. 
    Dunedin, FL
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Don't know how it's gonna taste, but it looks awesome.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    I can't wait to see sliced pics and hear how it turned out!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• minniemoh
    Options
    C'mon @Cookinbob, we all think you need a night snack. Fry some up!
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    OK, Here is the money shot.  I'll be cooking some up for breakfast. Will post one more plated pic.
     Also off topic, but walking the dog this AM I saw the biggest Great Blue Heron I have ever seen.  

I even saw him catch a fish which was pretty cool
    Rochester, NY
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Dude, that looks awesome!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Looks amazing indeed!
    canuckland
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Wow are these big slices!  one was enough for this B.E.L.T sandwich, but I used two.  Great bacon, but the smoke needs to mellow for a few days IMO.  This stuff won't last long, I need to start another one!imageimage
    Rochester, NY
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Fantastic! While it was made from shoulder, does it still have the same kind of texture as tradition bacon from the belly? I would assume so but thought I should ask.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Cookinbob
    Options

minniemoh said:
    Fantastic! While it was made from shoulder, does it still have the same kind of texture as tradition bacon from the belly? I would assume so but thought I should ask.
    This is my first shoulder bacon, but based on a couple of slices, I say yes!  The lean to fat ratio is a bit higher, and these hand cut slices were thicker than I will get from my slicer, but make no mistake, this is bacon!

I will do it again for sure (soon), and will choose the fattiest shoulder I can find.  I think you should go for it!  It is so easy and so good you will wonder why you waited.  Let me know if you need any tips!
    Rochester, NY
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I bet this is what Australian bacon is made of. When I went to Australia I couldn't figure out for the life of me why their bacon was so different. Looks just like that slice.

I have a berkshire butt I was going to make pulled pork out of.. but now I think I want to do this instead!!  It is bone in though. How do you think that will affect the curing process.
  • paqman
    Options
    What can I say? Beautiful!

Options
    I bet this is what Australian bacon is made of. When I went to Australia I couldn't figure out for the life of me why their bacon was so different. Looks just like that slice.

I have a berkshire butt I was going to make pulled pork out of.. but now I think I want to do this instead!!  It is bone in though. How do you think that will affect the curing process.
    I would not expect the bone to affect the cure, but it will be tough to get slices from the bone end.  I would separate the butt close to the bone, cure the boneless end (that is what this is) and do a small pulled pork with the bone end.  It's a win-win!  For the cure, I use 17 g of Ruhlmans basic cure per lb.  Worked perfectly.
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    paqman said:
    What can I say? Beautiful!
    Thanks Man!
    Rochester, NY
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    @cookinbob  you have my mouth watering!!  I'm doing this!
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    @cookinbob  you have my mouth watering!!  I'm doing this!
    Post pics!
    Rochester, NY
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm doing this too.
    NOLA
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    +1 gonna do this myself.  So the way I understand it, I'm taking your standard 10lb boston butt, cut it in half, use the bone-in half for pulled pork, and the boneless half for bacon?  Do I have that right?
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Yep.  that is what I did.
    Rochester, NY
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @Cookinbob - My local Costco sells boneless pork shoulders. If I were try it with one of those, would you recommend cutting it in half prior to the cure to make for more even smoking/curing?

Also, my wife got me the A-mazin-smoker for my birthday but the air temps have been too high to do a cold smoke with my BGE in direct sunlight so I thought I would have to wait until Fall to have a cool night to give it a try. My understanding is that hot smoking provides a much firmer texture when the smoking process is done. Is that right?
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Cookinbob
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Wow.  If I had a boneless shoulder, I would do the whole thing.  I plan to look for one this weekend.   It should cure completely if you give it time, thickness means more than weight from what I read, 9 days should be enough, followed by a day or two uncovered in the fridge

As for hot versus cold smoking, I would say it is a bit firmer with the hot smoke, but good either way. The best conventional bacon I have done (of three) was the one I hot smoked.  I was concerned about the fat rendering, but that was not an issue at all, I had about a teaspoon in my drip pan after yesterdays smoke.  Once the bacon is cured, you can do almost anything with it.  If you were making Pancetta for example, you would not cook or smoke it, just let it rest for a couple of weeks at about 65 degrees.   There is no reason not to smoke it with your AmazN Smoker, even if the temp goes above 100 deg in the egg (which it probably will).  If it was cheese, that would be a different story, but bacon should be fine.

BTW, some folks talk about smoking bacon all day or longer, I find it is really smoky after 3-4 hours, that is long enough for me
    Rochester, NY