Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone Temperature

I've been having trouble getting my stone to stay at 500 degrees.  I can get it there initially - I let everything go for a good 40 minutes until about 700  - 750 at the dome and the stone initially reads about 550 or 575 [per the infrared thermometer] but as soon as I cook my first pie, it drops it to the low 400s and doesn't want to come up again.

So here's what I'm wondering:  
My setup is platesetter with legs up; a grid on that, small riser blocks on the grid and then the stone on the risers.   The stone sits about 1.5" above the felt line.

Does anyone cook without a deflector?  Suppose I use an arrangement where the pizza stone is about 1" above the felt line but there's no deflector down below.  Will that work?  I'm thinking it will keep the pizza stone temp higher during use.

Any thoughts??

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments