Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High-temp remote thermometers

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not sure if this has been posted earlier, but I would really like to get my hands on a remote probe to replace the dial on my BGE. Needs to be a wireless unit that can handle egg temps (100-800F) and fit through the pre-drilled hole in the dome. I know...I ask a lot. But it would be great to get the egg going, go inside and start on sides, and know when to go out and regulate the temp. My recurring problem is that I get the egg going, get into my sides (or a drink or two) and come out to find my egg roaring at 700 or so. I lose a lot of time and coal shutting her down.[p]I suppose setting a timer to remind me to check the egg would be cheaper, but I really would like a high-temp remote in my stocking for Christmas next year.[p]Thanks...

Comments

• Dublin Dawg
    Options
    Jack,
    I bought a Taylor Wireless Remote meat thermometer for $34 on Amazon.com - But I don't think it will work over 400 degrees without frying the probe. It worked great at Christmas on my turkey. It freed me up to go inside and work on the dressing etc. Didn't have any problems.

• Dublin Dawg,[p]Thanks. I tried a high-end wireless meat thermometer as well. It died at 600F. I checked science suppliers and found probes that will handle +1000F, but they weren't wireless. [p]I've decided I need to call NASA for this thing. [p]But..it's not a big hassle to remember to go outside after 15 minutes or so. I just need a string around my finger or something.[p]Cheers.
  • Dublin Dawg
    Options
    Jack,
    Yeah, I wrapped my cord in aluminum foil, hoping that would help it not to fry. I plan to only use it on slow cooks, etc under 400 degrees.

• Banker John
    Options
    Jack,
    I too have experienced this frustration. What I finally did is learn the vent openings and their corresponding stabilized temperatures. Now that I know the vent settings, I set the vents, light the egg and go inside to work on sides/other fixins. After about 2-3 drinks, the egg is at temp and ready to go.[p]Banker John

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Jack,
    one thing will save you trouble and lump.[p]if you want a fire at say 450, then light the lump, wait maybe 5 minutes to make sure the fire is catching, and set your vents for a 450 fire.[p]it won't affect the time to get up to temp, and more importantly it won't go higher than your target temp.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jack, I have a wireless thermomoter, and another one that is not wireless, yet both have probes that have the same type of plug. I dont understand the difference. It seems to me that if the plug is the same type it doesnt matter. Who exactly is science supplier, and do they have a website?
    Thanks.

• stike,
    That's a good idea. I have always walked away with vents full-open to get the thing going. If you say the time to ramp up to cooking heat is just as fast with the vents closed to a particular temperature, I'll give it a try.