Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How low can you go?

Options
What is he lowest temp you have been able to maintain? I am wanting to 'hickory' smoke raw almonds lightly coated with EVOO, kosher salt, pepper, cinnamon and Chile powder. Most recipes I have found say 175-200. 
Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    90% of the time 400.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    185 for a Prime Rib reverse sear. Held for around 2.5 hours, then I increased the temp for the sear.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    have done jerkey and held temps between 145 and 175 for several hours by just using a handful of used lump in small pieces. you want pieces small so the holes get plugged
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Mickey said:
    90% of the time 400.
    @Mickey, from what you've said your retired, why always the hurry? I really enjoy a good long day of low n' slow egging  ... 'specailly when I got some friends and or family over. I find it really relaxin'. Tim 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Mickey said:
    90% of the time 400.
    @Mickey, from what you've said your retired, why always the hurry? I really enjoy a good long day of low n' slow egging  ... 'specailly when I got some friends and or family over. I find it really relaxin'. Tim 
    More time left to live and travel!!   :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If you use a metal coffee can inside of you fire bowl and charcoal instead of lump you can hold about as low as you want.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    SGH said:
    If you use a metal coffee can inside of you fire bowl and charcoal instead of lump you can hold about as low as you want.

Moreso if you use half a dozen briquettes instead of lump.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Sorry I see that is what you meant now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    Options
    No problem my friend. You can also use a old colander instead of the coffee can with excellent results. Just thought I would share.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    If you are really wanting to go real low the colander is the better choice. Not as apt to "choke" if you will due to better air feed.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

The Canadians always get there late.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I've made jerky at 170F direct using a controller and it worked real well even down to 160F, didn't try much lower. Didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Started the controller right after the firestarter went out. It fanned the fire until grate temp was 170F and held it there. Not sure how low you can go without a controller but I just got back from riding wave runners since this morning and have had some ribs on that were 216F grate when I returned. Expect the Egg would probably run as low as 200F grate with the vents pretty well closed once you get it up and running.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I've gotten it as low as 225 once and held it steady.  I tried to go lower but cut off the coals.  Good ideas with the collander and the coffee can though.  Might give it a try.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Last Saturday I held 125 for 8 hours to make beef jerky. It came out awesome as always. I got a piece of round heating duct about 8 inches tall, mixed smaller pieces  of lump and hickory chips in a bowl, poured them into the vent, lit, let the voc`s burn off and set the vents for low and 8 hours later had fantastic beef jerky, and still had a good amount of lump left over.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @MeTed‌ - Galvanized ducting will emit bad fumes when heated. I'm pretty sure this is not safe...

Options
    I have held about 70 degrees with a couple pieces of lump that I started with a heat gun then put a chunk of wood on to cold smoke cheese. It was like 40 degrees outside but I have cold smoked cheese in the summer the same way just put a tray of ice on the plate setter.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    At paqman I don`t think it was galvanized, it was black and I put it in the oven for four hours at 500 degrees and there was no smoke or any smell, I hope I did not hurt myself but thanks for the heads up.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Little Steven
    Options
    henapple said:
    The Canadians always get there late.
    Generally we refer to lump as lump and charcoal. Briquettes are briquettes of folk from TN

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    This morning I held about 190 for 3-1/2 hours on my small.  I think the trick is to start small, and keep it small.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks all. Smoked em at about 230 for 1.5hrs. Turned out OK but needs tweaking. Excuse me, but I don't 'get' the coffee can and collinder setup that's mentioned. This is for a medium.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• SGH
    Options
    @berndcrisp‌
    When I get home tonight I will take pics for you. Currently in Mobile AL.

Status- Standing by.

• RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    I've done 150 degrees with no problems on my XL for 8hrs when making Jerky
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

I've done 150 degrees with no problems on my XL for 8hrs when making Jerky

Was that w/ or w/out a pit controller?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    PitMaster IQ120 :D
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Options

PitMaster IQ120 :D

I just noticed that on "full view" you have PitMaster IQ120 rocks in your signature line. I sure wish the "mobile view" showed everything the full view does.
    I'm wanting to do this w/ my Stoker I just haven't got around to it yet "YET".

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    What ever temp it is outside. I Cold smoke cheese and butter in winter. Great way to do BACON