Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bringing A Little Of NM Home (For My Wife @HuskerMaMa)

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited August 2014 in Off Topic
This occured last night 8-13-14 5pm-1am.

Let me start by giving a huge THANK YOU to @beteez‌ for he let me know these were available and better yet on sale (89¢ per#) :) & to @henapple‌ for the foodsaver. B-)

My wife grew up in Taos,NM and Pueblo,CO and she remembers roasting freshly picked green Hatch Chile's. She said it was like a little sweat shop between doing these and making tomales for Christmas etc. :)

So, I finally found a few fresh green Hatch Chile's at a nearby grocer. I eagerly ran over and purchased roughly 16# hot and 3# mild. It has been storming most of the day so I realized I would be doing this in the rain because I really didn't feel like putting up the popup last night. I was also super hungry so the first 3 Chile's were used w/ a couple of spicy sausages I made up in the process. I roasted all of these (some raised direct and some on the lower grid) at about 350℉-400℉. Once roasted I cover with a paper towel to allow them to sweat a little bit & then vacuum saved them in portions as I got done with each batch. My wife got home after a long day at work and said this was the best surprise B-) imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• apfroggy0408
    Options
    Yes yes yes!! I'm from El Paso, Texas went to school in Las Cruces, New Mexico and now live in Indiana. =(

I miss hatch green chili so much, so so much!!

I need to search for some around here.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Can't wait for a Green Chile cook and recipe!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Phatchris said:

Can't wait for a Green Chile cook and recipe!

It's coming! The wheels were already turning when the first batch went on. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Nice, quick snacks. I bet the Misses was totally surprised. Your a good man brother, to think of her like that...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Sixpack1‌ The night air was filled with the fragrant aroma of Hatch roasting. Oh my! Yes, she was most definitely surprised. She posted it to her FB before I could finish the last 5 or so batches. :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I'm looking forward to September 5th. Wegmans gets them in(Melissa's brand) so I snag a box for hot sauce. I might just get the ones they roast because the whole process is a PITA.

Did you peel them before sealing?
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ No I roasted, let em sweat, then vacuum sealed. We've done it both ways ie peel then package or this way. Both work fine.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Cool. What I like about Wegmans is that they roast them in the roll cages similar to what you see in the SW. Buying a 40 lb box and doing it takes forever, so this year I think I'm just going to have them do it. Here is a video of the set-up that is basically what my store does.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    My parent's are from Albuquerque - love the smell of fresh roasted green chiles! Here's a few from a batch I'm growing. I have about another 10 that are ready to be picked and roasted.

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ Very cool video. My wife was telling me they often did them over a large open fire growing up in Taos.
    To me the "hot" are perfect. The last guy on video "Ok so this is the mild one?" Vendor "yes that's the mild one." Guy "oh that's..that's hot". :)).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @fence0407‌ my wife just got back from Denver area last month and my in-laws had fresh Hatch from their garden for dinner one evening. A little jelly I'll admit. :-). The amount I roasted should last us till next season.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ Very cool video. My wife was telling me they often did them over a large open fire growing up in Taos. To me the "hot" are perfect. The last guy on video "Ok so this is the mild one?" Vendor "yes that's the mild one." Guy "oh that's..that's hot". :)).
    My favorite are the hot too. I still have hot sauce from last year. I made a chili sauce(the chunky kind) that was insane. I hope I can remember what I added. I'm going to get the hot roasted and freeze them to use for the sauce throughout the year. Awesome on burgers and chicken.
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    Welp, you convinced me, I have requested some to be sent my way via facebook.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Just a mid-afternoon snack. 3 over medium eggs, julianned sweet peppers, fresh basil and curled parsley from our herb garden and finished with some diced Hatch Chile.

imageimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Life can be so damned unfair!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2014
    Options

How so brother man? No Hatch for Steven :-(
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Looks great, I cooked some last week in Austin.  I've never tried freezing...how long do they keep, and how do you ultimately end up using them? 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • fence0407
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    Looks great, I cooked some last week in Austin.  I've never tried freezing...how long do they keep, and how do you ultimately end up using them? 
    They'll last in the freezer a couple of years. Thaw them out when ready and eat as normal. Oh, remember to leave the charred skins on them after you've roasted them and before they go into the freezer. The skin will help eliminate freezer burn.
    Cumming, GA  

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @CPARKTX‌ ours have lasted well over 2 yrs in just glad freezer bags so I suspect in vac saved bags will last several years. But, the amount I made should last us close to 1 yr. We use on smothered burritos, eggs, chili rellenos, loaded nachos, tacos both crunchy & soft, burgers, brats, sausage, etc. Lots of uses in culinary cuisine.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    They sell canned (blasphemy) Hatch Chili but, fresh roasted kicks the $hi+ out of the canned stuff IMHO. And I've gotta say roasting them in the egg gave these a lil something extra. I used WGWW with no extra added wood. Although I'm sure a little oak would be a nice favor too.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fence0407
    Options
    I bought a dozen jars of the Hot Green Chiles from New Mexico Chile & Ristra and they are excellent. If you can't get it fresh, order these and you won't be disappointed!

Cumming, GA  

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    They don't grow up here and I've never seen them in stores or markets. I've done a lot of work in AZ and have eaten them three meals a day.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

They don't grow up here and I've never seen them in stores or markets. I've done a lot of work in AZ and have eaten them three meals a day.

Never seen or eaten. What do they taste like?

Options
    paqman said:

Never seen or eaten. What do they taste like?

Rainbows and unicorns!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @pacman‌ ^^^^^^^ +1!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @fence0407‌ the large cans of whole Hatch were okay (in a pinch). But, fresh roast is =P~
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Looks like you pulled out another ace from the deck. What can I say brother that hasn't already been said above. Solid as a rock my friend. You and brother Chilly have been killing it lately. Awesome job.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    They are available here in California at Whole Paycheck Foods - $1.49/lb.  Just picked up my second batch this afternoon.  I would guess they are available at most WF stores across this great land.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    Lil Red and I give it a big #1. image
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • fence0407
    Options
    @fence0407‌ the large cans of whole Hatch were okay (in a pinch). But, fresh roast is =P~
    100% agreed! Just an option for anyone who is unable to get them fresh.

So - last night SWMBO and I went to the Thursday night food trucks here in town. One truck offered a chicken and green chile quesadilla. Well, of course I had to try it! I asked the young lady where they got their chiles from. She said they grew them and/or got them from restaurant depot. THEN - she told me that they were just Anaheim peppers! It took all I had to not go home and get her REAL green chiles. She said, be careful - they're spicy! Yeah right! Food turned out to be pretty good, but that's false advertising!
    Cumming, GA