Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

instant read thermometer

Options
g37
g37 Posts: 450
I need a instant read thermometer. Is there a big difference between the thermapen and thermopop? I'm using a cheap weber 1 right now but it takes way to long to give me temperature readings.
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    As I understand the difference between the two is a few seconds.  I love my Thermapen, but the thermapop would probably be sufficent if money is an issue.
    NOLA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have a Thermapen and my buddy has a Thermapop. I agree with @buzd504.

I think the difference in time is only a couple of seconds, but the difference is money is a good bit.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have a ThermoPop and love it. There has been a few occasions that I wished it was slightly faster. If your doing a lot of hot cooks or checking multiple things, you might want to consider the Thermapen. A few seconds can equal a lot of arm hair.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I think the old saying of pay me now, or pay me later comes into play here. Yes, you can get by with the less expensive pop, but I bet eventually you will wish you had the pen and will buy it as well. So why not apply that pop cost now toward a pen? Watch for their open box sales or contact them for a refurb.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Save the money and wait for the pen.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I'm also in the save and wait camp. The ThermoPop is probably good enough of you are only checking one thing like a spatchcock bird but if you ever cook more then one steak you would wish you had the ThermaPen. Buy once cry once. 
  • g37
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks, I made my mind up. I'm gonna get thermapen.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    You won't regret it. 

• g37
    Options
    Oh boy this is getting expensive. Hahaha.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    It's the correct decision.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Yup, I just can't imagine egging without my Thermapen.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • g37
    Options
    Thanks, 4 all the great advice.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    RRP said:
    I think the old saying of pay me now, or pay me later comes into play here. Yes, you can get by with the less expensive pop, but I bet eventually you will wish you had the pen and will buy it as well. So why not apply that pop cost now toward a pen? Watch for their open box sales or contact them for a refurb.

RRP is correct.  I waited for an open box special and I think I paid $76 for the thermapen.  My only regret is not buying one sooner.  That was a month or two ago.  I don't know how often they have those specials, maybe another forum member might know?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I have the Thermapop and it works good - only $25. I do however agree with @RRP‌ that you're better off buying the Thermapen up front. I wish I got that but at the time I also purchased a Maverick e733 so I didn't have another $100.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @anzyegg I just got a Maverick 733 and I love it! 

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    The Maverick e733 does make it easier during a longer cook. I can be in the house and read the temps....it also will alert you for too low or high.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited August 2014
    Options
    g37 said:

Like I suggested give them a call and ask about refurbished ones. They have them, but just don't advertise the fact. A buddy of mine went that route 10 years ago and his is still working fine. As I recall they give the same warranty on the refurbs and you save some money...plus unless you tell anybody no one will know the difference! It's not like they have a RF branded on them! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • g37
    Options
    @rrp thanks 4 the great advice I'll call thermoworks. I just got my maverick 733 just need a good instant read thermometer.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • buzd504
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:

RRP is correct.  I waited for an open box special and I think I paid $76 for the thermapen.  My only regret is not buying one sooner.  That was a month or two ago.  I don't know how often they have those specials, maybe another forum member might know?

Frequently - at least once a month, I would say.

And with that said, now I wish i had gotten a backlit model.  I know now I will be getting another one in the not too distant future.
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    Options
    Also, speaking of which, no Thermapen listed, but they are currently having an open-box sale:  http://thermoworks.com/specials/82014_open_box_sale.html
    NOLA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    g37 said:
    They may be pricey, but they are a long term investment. I got mine 7 years ago. I use it every day and it still works great. Paid $85 so that works out to $12 per year. Small price to pay to make sure I don't overcook that expensive steak or get dried out chicken.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.