Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can other things be cooked frozen besides steak?

Options
Can I do the same thing with a frozen spatchcocked chicken?
Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pork butt

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    A few weeks ago a buddy and I were at his house on the river, and we decided to cook something.  He always has something in the freezer to cook "in case of emergency".  Usually we think ahead and let whatever we cook thaw out first.  This time we were expecting to go somewhere to eat, but decided we didn't want to leave, so we decided to cook some wings that he had in the freezer.  They turned out great.  We couldn't even tell the difference except for the added cook time.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fellow forum member and good friend Nola cooks butts, brisket and many other items frozen. You should seek his advice. He has perfected the technique. He opened my eyes on the subject.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Wings may be fine, but in general I'd be pretty wary about using this technique with chicken. Salmonella is no joke.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have cooked chicken breasts and wings from frozen and they turned out fine.  As long as the food reaches a safe internal temperature I don't think there are any concerns from a safety standpoint.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Pork butt
    Impossible! Where did you hear that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pork butt

From some crazy Canuckian guy. I forget his name.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Pork butt

Actually if I remember right someone posted it on here a week or two ago.  Cant remember who, maybe @SGH??????

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    I do frozen chicken breasts all the time.  Never been sick yet!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    I do frozen chicken breasts all the time.  Never been sick yet!
    How much extra time did it add to the cook?
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Never done frozen chicken but I have done frozen pork tenderloins and they finished very moist and tender...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    thin pork chops
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Chuckies! Especially if you go the pepper-stout-beef route. Dogs. Brats. Sausage. Boneless skinless chicken parts. Pork shoulders. I have done all of these.The hard part is the 'prep' (separate frozen meats), Smoke ring always seems better, too!
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I kept the dome thermo at 350.  It was very THIN pounded out chicken breasts that didn't take very long at all.  Moist and tender; perfect for a sandwich!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    At the very first Eggfest I went to, the BigGreen Egg rep cooked a 16 lb turkey from frozen solid in 5 hrs at 350 degrees. I have done it a couple of times since then too. It turns out fantastic. The hardest part is getting the giblet bag out of the cavity after a couple of hours on the egg. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Legume Indirect or raised direct? =))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Wings
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    @DMW no idea, but I would definitely avoid caveman!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Chicken legs & wings. Poke butt too. I'm gonna try that frozen turkey idea. That appeals to my lazy nature.
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    dont forget frozen toast
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    Time to clean out the freezer.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    jerryb78 said:
    Wings may be fine, but in general I'd be pretty wary about using this technique with chicken. Salmonella is no joke.

As long as the finishing temp is 160 or more, going straight from frozen to cooked should reduce the risk of Salmonella or any other type of food poisoning. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    Options
    Pierogies. Toss them on frozen. By the time they brown up nice, the inside is thawed and hot.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA