Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

shaking up the salt myth

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,753
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
seems that eating excessive amounts of salt is healthier for you than the recommended amounts
:)) and just when i got used to eating less

http://online.wsj.com/articles/recommended-salt-levels-could-do-more-harm-than-good-study-suggests-1407964274

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    If you haven't been prescribed by a doctor for a low sodium diet, I see nothing wrong with this study, but if your physician has you on a special diet due to hypertension or other medical condition, I would recommend you consult with your physician before abandoning the low sodium diet just because of this article.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
     High blood pressure is a health risk, certainly. And for people with high blood pressure that can't be controlled on simple diuretic medication then salt restriction is appropriate. For those whose blood pressure is normal, salt intake is irrelevant. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with salt or other sodium-containing foods. The WSJ is reporting something that physicians have known for decades but has been widely misunderstood and overreactted to by the general public.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Sodium is the most vital electrolyte. I fully agree with @Zmokin‌ though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i fully agree, but doctors nowadays seem locked into telling folks the same things, execize , drop a few pounds, eat carbs or dont eat carbs, use less salt. they tell it to everybody and everybody passes it along
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    Well, the vast majority of people in the US don't get any, or enough exercise, they are overweight, and eat too many carbs,
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Eat this, don't eat that, have 3 sprigs of asparagus at bedtime with 2 ounces of buttermilk, don't eat eggs, eat more eggs, no butter now more butter. Good fish bad fish, Bottled water or tap water, organic or non. Bugs in fruit and veggies grown in contaminated soil.

Cook and eat what you like. Listen to your body, if you are truly craving something it is your body telling you it needs a particulate that is in that item. Good food and nutrition is the foundation to a happy life. I am eating healthier within my grandma's guidelines of common sense, she lived to be 84 and was one of the happiest people I ever knew. Her diet would rewrite today's books.

Studying everything we eat can be interpreted to be whatever the advocates want it to be. Much as 'The Good Book' can be interpreted any way to justify one's beliefs of how to live. 

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    i fully agree, but doctors nowadays seem locked into telling folks the same things, execize , drop a few pounds, eat carbs or dont eat carbs, use less salt. they tell it to everybody and everybody passes it along
    :))
    That's because that info is pertinent for the majority of the population. It's the "one size fits all" info that is gernally beneficial for most, therefore most recommended as a first step.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options

The "Nutrition" section of the bookstore should be renamed "Fiction".

There are basically only 3 facts known about nutrition (short of what is known about severe deficiency conditions which are almost impossible for first world citizens to develop):

1) Your health (likelihood of illness/death) is best predicted by your Body Mass Index.  So your weight is by far the most important factor. 

2) The second most important factor (for most people) is your cholesterol level.  The reason it is the second most important is that for most people it is directly tied to their weight (weight and cholesterol go up together) so it does not predict illness INDEPENDENT of weight.  For some with bad cholesterol genetics it can be the most important factor.

3) Your weight is a function of "Calories consumed vs calories burned" over a given time period.  You MIGHT be able to circumvent this a little with either a very low fat OR a very low carb diet as it MAY render the fuel burning process inefficient if you don't have an adequate supply of both necessary fuel sources. 

But I'm pretty convinced that for anybody who has a BMI over 25 (I'm guessing that is 99% of the people here) - or certainly over 30 - there is no "food that is good for you" because you really should be losing weight.

I'm also convinced that for most people with normal cholesterol genetics taking in 1000 calories of McDonald's french fries (or ice cream or whatever is "bad for you") is just as "good" for you as 1000 calories of salad (or oatmeal, or green beans or whatever is "good for you") - because it really is all about the calories. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    Options
    then theres the new studies about unhealthy and thin
    :))  lots of thin people have never exercised in their lives and are at higher risks from fat within instead of fat under the skin.
     must be fruedian because i have to spell check exercise every time i type it
    :)) oh, and limit your exercise, too much is now bad
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Well, now that clears it up. At 6' and 143 lbs, I'll just exercise some, eat some, ride the sofa luge and Egg on.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My doc said 2K mg sodium per day. At first, 2K seemed an impossible goal. With practice, it has become fairly easy.

Another doc says 2K is ridiculous. He even said I could eat soy sauce!!! Who to believe?

Now this comes out. Sigh. I think I'll just continue to avoid "prepared" foods and limit the salt I add while cooking. And then there's saturated fat... another conundrum! Everything in moderation I guess.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut