Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get steaks right.

Options
Louisiana Redneck
Louisiana Redneck Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning,
I have a problem cooking steaks on my Egg. I start out with 1 3/4 inch ribeyes, well marbled. I coat with my seasonings. I bring the Egg up to 600 degrees and sear my steaks on each side for two minutes. I let the Egg drop down to 450 and put the steaks back on the grill for 4 minutes per side and remove. My steaks are juicy on the grill but by the time they set for 10 minutes, they are dry and tough. My wife likes her steaks medium and my daughter likes hers medium rare. I cooked my daughters steak 3 minutes per side. The meat was still simi tough.
What am I doing wrong. I spent about 28.00 on four steaks. I assumed they were good cuts. They just are not tender and juicy. HELP PLEASE.[p] Louisiana Redneck

Comments

• Banker John
    Options
    Louisiana Redneck,
    Meat cooked on the grill will continue to cook once removed from the grill. I personally use an instant read thermometer (Thermapen) to make sure each steak is done to perfection. The thermapen is used in house almost daily for more than just the Egg. [p]Others may have more suggestions.[p]Banker John

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Louisiana Redneck,
    i go by looks and temps and not by time. im thinking that you should lower the roasting temps to just below 400. i would cook 2 inch steaks closer to 350-375 after the rest.1.5 inch steaks closer to 400. the hotter temps your cooking at with the thicker steaks will have more carry over temperature rise when sitting on the plate

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rookie Eggcock
    Options
    Louisiana Redneck,
    What I do is this... bring the Egg up to about 650. Sear the steaks on each side for 2 minutes (like you have done). Then, flip the steak back over, move the steak off to the side a bit, close both dampers and let sit for about 3 minutes (3 1/2 at the most). Take off, and wrap in foil for 10 minutes. This should work for you.

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Louisiana Redneck,
    Looks like the timing is correct. I've come to the conclusion the grade of meat is often the issue. Had filet mignon steaks for XMas and cooked with sear, rest, and return. Not juicey nor real tender but cooked to absolute perfection. What a downer made worse by the great appearance.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Louisiana Redneck,
    i swear by the classic t-rex method for all thick steaks. . ..but one of the things i've found is there is a great difference in the final texture of the meat based on the sear temps and total time. .. if i sear at only 600 degrees, then the dwell time ends up being longer for the same doneness (say, medium rare) but the texture tends to be kind of mushy, compared to searing at 750+ degrees, then the 20 minute rest and dwell at 400 degrees till done. . .[p]on the sear, i go exactly (and i do mean exactly) 30 seconds per half inch of steak thickness . . .so a 1 3/4 inch steak would get seared for exactly 1 minute and 45 secnds per side at 750 +. . . .and then the dwell would probobably be for about 3 - 4 minutes per side at 400 degrees for medium rare. . ..

• Dublin Dawg
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    What is the "T-Rex" method?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,
    and you thought my turkey description was long :)[p]here is the link to the trex steak method. ... its long, but well worth the read. ..[p]basically, its a high temp sear, followed by a 20 minute rest, followed by a 400 degree 'dwell'[p]it the ONLY way i'll cook a strip/tenderloin/ribeye ...

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm[/ul]
  • Grillicious
    Options
    Dublin Dawg, see the Naked Whiz link below.

[ul][li]TRex[/ul]
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Louisiana Redneck,
    I'm not a TRex kinda guy. It is just because I'm lazy. You must buy at least a choice grade of meat to get great results. I grill my steaks at around 650 to 700 degrees. I turn my steaks a couple times during the cook. The timming depends on the thickness and how cold the meat is when you put it on the egg. I use meat tenderizer and steak seasoning on my steaks. I usually get great results. I cook to an internal temp of 135 and let rest for 5 to 7 minutes. LOL on your next cook. Tom

• Louisiana Redneck,[p]My two cents: I don't reduce the temp for the "dwell" time. Seared at 600 or so for one minute per side (turning 45 degrees on the same side at 30 seconds each side if I really want the hatched grill marks for aesthetics), and then shutting the vents and waiting about 2 minutes (still at about 600) for rare..maybe 5 minutes tops for medium. [p]As to meat quality, I agree that this method may only work well for high-quality steaks in the 3/4" to 1" range. Having said this, I have managed to turn some lower quality steaks into good dinner by putting a pat of hard-chilled, and very lightly seasoned butter (chives, garlic, Worchestershire, etc.) on the top of the steaks on my last turn. As you probably know, this adds flavor and fat to a cut that lacks adequate marbling.[p]In fin, the sear and dwell at 550-600 or so works great for me. Maybe get some serious face time with your butcher and be prepared to dig just a little deeper in your wallet at checkout.[p]Good luck!![p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Jack,
    to be honest, i think the high temp sear with rest and dwell actually helps a leaner cut of steak. ...i buy what ever is on sale at the safeway for the most part, so sirloins and rib-eyes tend to be 'select' (and can be had with safeway card deals in the 5 - 6 buck per pound range). .. .very lean. . .and i've become convinced that t-rexing them enhances the tenderness due to the 'relaxing' of the muscle during the rest period (as t-rex describes in detail in his missive). . granted, you still need a thick (1 1/2 inches or more) steak to optimize the trex method, but great results can be had trexing thick cut 'select' grade steaks. ..i agree with you about the benefits of a pad of butter at the end. .. .i do this quite often as well. .. .[p]just my 2 cents. ..[p]:-)

• Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    Thanks Fellow Eggers