Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine

Options
I've never brined before.  When it's done do I still put on a rub or seasoning?  Might be a dumb question.  My guess would be yes :)

Comments

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    yes.  Now, what are you brining?  I've read that if you brine in salt water, skip the salt during the rub.  Don't want to over salt the meat.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    I brined porkchops.  I'm not sure if my rub is too salty or not.  I use Dizzy Dust.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I brine all of my poultry because my wife and I feel it tastes better. Typically I always go 24 hours and just dump some coarse kosher salt in the water and stir until it dissolves. I don't even measure the salt. I do rinse the poultry before then rubbing it, but have never had any too salty.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I brine chicken also, and that's about all.  Never done pork chops.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Yes sir. When you pull your meat from the brine give it a good rinse with cold water to remove the excessive salt then season as normal. I find that the cold water rinse first removes the excess salt. If you don't rinse you certainly run the chance of being to salty. If you do rinse then it's business as usual. Hope this helps.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Thanks guys, that helps alot
  • RRP
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Now, if you find you and yours enjoy the benefit of a brine then you might be open minded to some very flavorful taste inducing complex brines for turkey's. We have a favorite brine recipe from John Ash in which I brine a whole turkey for 3 days by sealing it in a bag and then submerging it in a cold water bath within a large Rubbermaid water cooler. Monitoring the temperature of the chilled water using a wire type thermometer on the outside is easy to do so as to add ice during the 72 hour brine.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Is be interested in hearing that one Ron--
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Yes all the herbs and spices you can cram in there. The effect of the aromatics will be moderate. Use stems and whole seeds or flowers if you have them growing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Is be interested in hearing that one Ron--

I just realized I originally said Arthur Ash...the late tennis star, I meant John Ash the famous chef!
  • northlandinc
    Options
    I've been using a brine with chicken for about 6 months now and will never go back. The brine adds flavor and juiciness. Your basic brine is just a gallon of cold water, 3/4 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and whatever spices and herbs you like. I typically add a few pepper corns, some dry thyme and rosemary, a little garlic powder (fresh garlic if I have it on hand), a few whole allspice berries, and a dry bay leaf. If I have time I will heat the brine to a simmer to help dissolve the salt and sugar then let it cool in the fridge overnight. The brine needs to be cold before putting the chicken in. If I'm short on time I just use cold water. Next soak the chicken in the brine for a few hours for pieces or 6 to 8 hours for a whole chicken. Rinse well to remove all excess brine and trim any excess fat. Then I dry the bird with paper towel and put on a rack over a plate in the fridge (uncovered) to dry the skin for a few hours. This helps get a crisper skin. once the skin is dry I lightly coat with olive oil and season with a dry rub (no salt). I let the chicken sit in the fridge uncovered while getting the grill ready. Good luck.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options

@northlandinc Great idea, thanks for the tip.

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH