Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean burn

Options
I haven't did a clean burn in about 6 months. So it was about time. Can't have it looking bad when people come over and get the "egg talk" as the other half likes to call it. image

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Let 'er rip!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options

How often do you do this?  I usually cook 2-3 times a week on my egg and have never done this?

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    jcaspary said:

How often do you do this?  I usually cook 2-3 times a week on my egg and have never done this?

Do you cook/bake pizza at high temps? If so after the pies are done....pull the thermometer and let her rip.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I've only did it one other time and I've had my egg almost a year. I cleaned my drip pan too. I use foil on it most times.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited August 2014
    Options
    It depends @jcaspary. Is there a greasy soot build up on the dome and base sides, does it smell ranciid, or are you just embarrassed with the way it looks inside. The more low and slows the more I clean burn. The more high temp pizza and steaks the less it is needed .
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have only done it once purposely. Other than that I find a good high temp (650+℉) pizza cook is sufficient. That's just me. I spect if all ya did was L&S may want to do it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Yeah. I don't do pizzas that much. I need to start doing them more. they're fun. image

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Burn baby burn! Let that clean burn rip >:)
    Kurgans statement: http://youtu.be/a0aERAJ18_s
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options

Thanks for the tips.  I do pizza quite often.  Have only done low and slow a couple of times.  Need to do them more often.

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I haven't done one for about a year and I'm long overdue!
    NW IOWA
  • Philly35
    Options
    It looks a lot worse in person.
    NW IOWA
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I do mine about 2 times a year, but we have several kamados and they don't get used as heavy as when I just had one.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    It looks a lot worse in person.

LOL - but yours doesn't even yet have those horrible looking big flakes of crud just screaming "WE WILL FALL OFF ON YOUR FOOD THE NEXT TIME YOU SERVE COMPANY! " I just wish I would have taken one or two pictures of my embarrassing domes before doing burn outs so I could post a picture when people ask why, or when you do a burn out! For some reason just telling them "you will know when it is time, Grasshopper" just doesn't seem to register with those doubters!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have only done it once purposely. Other than that I find a good high temp (650+℉) pizza cook is sufficient. That's just me. I spect if all ya did was L&S may want to do it.

Very true. 650 burn for an hour or so then wipe with a wadded up boil of foil. Works awesome.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Philly35
    Options
    I ball up some tinfoil and scrape it off. Been working good so far.
    NW IOWA