Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

going to Austin Tx this weekend

Options
going to Austin Tx this weekend. Any suggestions. Thanks

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    How much time do you have? If you can kill 4 hours, go to Franklin BBQ. If you cant, go to La Barbecue.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Be there all day Saturday. Thanks for info cazzy

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Ok, for Franklin, fill up a ice chest full of beer and get there around 7am. I know it's early, but you don't want to be outside waiting at 12p on in Texas heat. Take a chair and get ready to meet some interesting people while you wait in line. Also keep in mind that your entire party doesn't need to wait with you. Around 9:30am, they will ask you what you're ordering at that's all they care about. IE, you could order a 100 pounds of brisket and they wouldn't cate. Have your party join you at 10:30am.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    At all costs avoid any kind of contact with Cen-Tex. It's like crossing the streams so to speak.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Jebpot‌ ...have fun.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options

Barton Springs and also the Texas State Cemetery,  The Capital is nice, Mostly I would encourage a drive into the hill country,  if you see a road side BBQ pit, or a gas station with BBQ, stop and try it. 

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I'd go to Franklin BBQ. I'd go just to say "I've been there, done that". Plus, I like his tips/techniques that he records on YouTube.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    The food truck seen is going pretty good in Austin. Maybe check that out. Also check out the bats at sunset. There's a bridge with a huge amount of bats live under this time of year. Google it.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    When I was stationed in San Antonio we went to the Natural Bridge Caverns. I don't think it's too far from Austin. We also went and seen bats, but I don't remember that much about the bats. The caves were definitely worth the visit. Here's a link.

http://www.naturalbridgecaverns.com/(S(sleyh545y30bl4rdv1zk1peo))/Index.aspx
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    https://innerspacecavern.com is in Georgetown it's near Austin also.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx