Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Cook on my LBGE!

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I had my 1st cook tonight and my wife and I were very pleased with the results. I am new to egging and to BBQ so I need to figure out how to que other things besides ribs.  I'm winging it so far and it's obvious how forgiving the BGE is.  As Tom w/ CGS told me, I need to start jotting down notes for my cooks.   

Getting the fire going was a breeze which tells me I can now que during week nights!   I'm 100% satisfied with my new baby!  Worth every penny!! :D
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• welcome to the club.  try a spatchcock chicken!

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• What a refreshing sight, a clean Egg with good felt!  We have cooked almost every night for two months on ours.  You are going to love it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I just ate and now I'm hungry again. Welcome aboard.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Looks delicious -- good job! :)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Nice cook.  Get that ceramic black.  Pronto !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Welcome Crazy.  I got a LBGE for Christmas & just joined the forum a couple of weeks ago. 

I thought I was just getting an awesome grill that could do it all, what I realized was I just got another hobby that likes my money & time more than I do... haha

Not sure what accessories you might have but id look into a place setter or ceramicgrillstore.com product to cook inderect.  Also get a baking stone.

I just did a spatch last weekend.  Its a good medium between quick grilling steaks, chicken, etc to smoking ribs, butt, or brisket.  Learn how to manage temp & cook to internal meat temps & you will be golden.

I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

• cazzy
    I received my Large Adjustable Rig from CGS yesterday. I make alot of ribs and plan to do a brisket soon, so I went with R&B combo which comes with the oval stone. After I get used to cooking on the fire ring and at felt level, I plan to get the spider, wok and a small cast iron grid. I look forward to making pizza so I'm sure a pizza stone will be ordered soon too! I can see how the BGE could eat up cash, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

My wife is telling her friends this was our anniversary present cause she gets to reap the benefits! Lol
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    That's the whitest I've seen an egg in a couple of weeks since I started using mine :-) It's definitely in need of seasoning, not a speck of white left on mine after several cooks and one long 12 hour smoke.

Enjoy and definitely try the spatchcock chicken.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Bump, because this cook was awesome!!!

:D
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    Oh my...my virgin egg cook.

The enthusiasm makes me want to puke.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Welcome aboard @Cazzy!  Please let us know if you need help learning to cook brisket and take pictures :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    cazzy said:

Oh my...my virgin egg cook.

The enthusiasm makes me want to puke.

Sure it wasn't the food?

:P
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cazzy

Welcome aboard @Cazzy!  Please let us know if you need help learning to cook brisket and take pictures :P

Will do. Thanks for the warm welcoming. I hear @DMW is doing some big things in the brisket world.

Have you been to his restaurant? DW's BBQ? Place is freaking great. His brisket makes me HAPPY just thinking about it.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Holy thread resurrection! Now that really illustrates the express learning curve that @cazzy has shown us all. He really turns out some good stuff these days. (I'm sure he was a good cook before too) Nice job pulling this one back up @SmokeyPitt!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    This is awesome! 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    That was a long low and slow cook.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Welcome to the club...if you need any pointers, just let me know!
    ;)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    minniemoh said:
    Holy thread resurrection! Now that really illustrates the express learning curve that @cazzy has shown us all. He really turns out some good stuff these days. (I'm sure he was a good cook before too) Nice job pulling this one back up @SmokeyPitt!
    I didn't do it :D.  I was just playing along! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    edited August 2014
    fence0407 said:
    This is awesome! 
    It is.  I have always cooked...my mom taught me a lot, indirectly and directly.  My ma battled alcoholism (why I don't drink) throughout my childhood, so when it was rough, it was either cook something or starve.  Problem was, there was never much in the fridge besides Miller Lite.  At 11 or 12, I was forced to look at random ingredients and come up with something.  I am thankful that I was able to become a survivor as that still helps me today.

Before 2012, BBQ to me was seasoning it and letting someone else Q it outside.  Before my gramps passed away, he made me a pit and I started making ribs on it.  It was a lot of work, but the results were outstanding.  I was proud and I was hooked.  I started researching, found the egg, then convinced my wife that I had to have it.  That's all she wrote.  I think my learning curve was quick because I have always been into cooking.  The egg was a good tool as it eliminated some of the work and allowed me to focus on flavor profiles and technique.  

I also started shooting in December of 2012 after seeing Village Idiot's photos and wanting to photograph my food better.  Never owned anything more than a point & shoot that I used on auto.  Knew nothing about composition or DSLRs.

It's pretty awesome to see my growth in 2 years.  Thanks for bumping @DMW

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited August 2014
    @cazzy - great story man! Sounds like you learned a lot from your mother, both in bbq and in life. Glad to see you were positively influenced and thankful you are open to sharing your knowledge with the rest of us. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

@Fred19Flinstone must be loving this thread.

• cazzy
    hondabbq said:

@Fred19Flinstone must be loving this thread.

Why?
  • cazzy
    =))
  • ofcman29
    ofcman29 Posts: 28
    Nice first cook.  Welcome to the club.  I remember when my egg was that white.  Enjoy
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    This was a great read. @cazzy I thought you had been around a lot longer than you have. You only have me beat by 10 months in Egg ownership but by years and years in your talent on the egg and behind the lens. 

Anyway this was great to see a post this old when you were just starting out. I feel like I just watched little Phil Mickelson learn how to drive. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited August 2014
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Welcome. Enjoy that LBGE. The AR should be perfect for brisket. >:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    You are now part of the Dark Side never to return. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Ever since going, making bad choices and ultimately completing college, I have valued my ability to learn new things. Especially things that I enjoy learning. That's what life is about.

when it comes to food, learning to prepare a meal that can make others smile is what i LOVE to do. 

@cazzy - you have taught us so much with only 2.5 years of BGE cooking experience. It makes me want to keep reading, cooking and learning from my mistakes. 

Only if I can get SWMBO to learn to cook different dishes...... but that's another thread. 

:((
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD