Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck & Friends

Options
We modify pepper stout beef to mushroom wine beef when our 'vino friends' come over. Turboed one today with merlot and portebello and stupidly pulled it off the Egg at 205 IT when I know a chuck needs to go a little higher for it to pull. But hey, it 'softened' ok in the oven while we made a few ABTs and some peach blueberry cobbler. Side dish was mango salsa. Our vino friends gave it an A+!

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm not a vino fan. Can I be your beer buddy?
    Flint, Michigan
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Beef, mushrooms, and merlot make quite a team!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks outstanding. Solid cook. =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I like the pepper idea. More cheese and pepper that way. Nice.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    The japs were halved lengthwise, seeded, filled with a sliver of cheddar, potted with raw egg, and covered with a sliver of bacon.
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Additional details if you're interested. The chuckie had to be 'turboed' due to short notice. First double-startered the Egg and set up for indirect with AR at 325F grate using oak for smoke. Oak and beef go very well as most know. Had to separate 'Chuckie' from his brother in a frozen Costco two-pack (getting good at this) and micro-thawed it for 15 minutes while the Egg was ramping up. Seasoned with kosher salt and ground on some black pepper. Soon as the Egg hit 325F grate threw it on still half frozen in the middle as indicated by the ----- temp probe reading but we seem to get nicer smoke ring this way. 'Smoked' it at 325F (if you can smoke at 325F) grate until it hit 156F IT (couldn't wait for '160F'), threw it in a foiled pan with slice portebello mushrooms and onions and about a third bottle of merlot. Bumped the Egg up to 350 - 375F grate and threw on the cobbler on the next AR grate up. Pulled them both about the same time, chuckie at 205F but should have gone higher since it didn't pull so sliced it and stuck it in the oven covered at 375F and braised it while settling the Egg back down to 300F direct for the japs and some dogs for the kiddies. Had plans to grilled some fresh Flarida lobster that RD had on sale that morning for $5.99/lb, too, but we had plenty by then and saved the lobsta for today since we're on vacation this week anyway, life is good when there isn't a hurricane!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Very nice meal. Enjoy your time off!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!