Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Wrapped Shrimp

Options

Hi all!  I've had the Egg for a few months now and I can't imagine my life without it.  At the very least, my hubby is eating a heck of a lot better! LOL. 

Last week, we were on vacation at the Jersey Shore, and my hubby ordered a Bacon Wrapped Shrimp appetizer.  Based on the description on the menu, there was horseradish mixed in there somewhere and barbeque sauce on top.  I've done a search here and elsewhere to see if I can find a similar recipe, but have come up empty.  I personally don't like shrimp, so I can't describe it in more detail and all hubby says is... "Damn, that was GOOD!" LOL.

Has anyone ever had something similar?  When I mentioned that maybe I could do something similar on the Egg, I swear he drooled. So, I'd like to try it if anyone has any ideas?

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I add a sliver of jalapeño pepper and wrap in bacon. I like to grill direct raised 375 to crisp. if you have a rub you like put it on. I do peel the shrimp first and leave the tail on.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JenniferEgger
    Options

Thanks @Mickey!  My hubby isn't a jalapeno fan, otherwise I would have been all over that!  Thanks for the grilling info though.  That was my next question! LOL.

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Jennifer most cocktail sauce is nothing more than horseradish, ketchup and lemon juice. I would think you could take your favorite BBQ sauce add some Horseradish and lemon juice to baste on your shrimp and bacon.
    Duncan, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    google shrimp lejon appetizer, use as much horesradish as possible when stuffing, precook the bacon a little or use proscuitto, make the remoulade but its not needed, a good sauce alternative would be peter lugers steak sauce or a cocktail sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JenniferEgger
    Options

Since I'm not a seafood fan in any way shape or form, I didn't know that @Mross!  So thank you!  That sounds ridiculously simple, which is OK with me! 

One (hopefully} last question...  I'm assuming Fresh Large Shrimp are the way to go?  This must be love because I can't stand handling the slimy little suckers. LOL

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    I would get as large as you can find.
    Duncan, SC
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
    Try this, mix equal parts good honey mustard and creamed horseradish. Coat your peeled raw shrimp and wrap with Benton's bacon. Cook on very hot grill until bacon browns up, about 2 mins per side . Heaven
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You had me at bacon. 

Seriously if you get this worked out please post PICS and a recipe. Pics or it didn't happen. Your husband has to say "Damn, that was good" in order for it to count. 

You can do this! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JenniferEgger
    Options
    I may try it on Sunday, otherwise I have to wait until next weekend.   Daughter is at camp during dinner thru next weekend and she'd be ticked if I did it when she wasn't home.  But I will try it AND post pics when I do!! :) Thanks to all for the sugges

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    @Jenifferegger   If you're not a seafood fan, you might want to try some cedar-planked salmon.  I've converted non fish-eaters with it.

Where in Bucks County are you?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • JenniferEgger
    Options
    Right outside Doylestown...

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    I precook my bacon when doing bacon wrapped scallop so i don't overcook the scallops.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).