Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is going on lately

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    tjosborne said:

Agreed. Why post pics of cooks with my crappy $100 phone while others are posting with their $1000 Cannon? Or whatever they own. Nobody here cares anyhow unless you have a couple thousand posts.

@tjosborne‌ - I have to disagree with you. It is up to you to make your place in this world! Don't wait for others to do it for you. I think that what is blind siding you is all the off topic discussions that are taking place and drawing a lot of attention. Those discussions are often leading to outbursts of emotions and "drama". But let's be honest, the forum is an endless source of entertainment. Please don't let that stop you from posting...

henapple said:

Usually those with over 10,000 don't have a life.

You may be right!
    :-?

This is a very interesting thread. I am also in agreement with many of you that I don't care about post count or picture quality. 

Looking back I guess I haven't posted a ton of pics of my cooks. I did post a handful about my first butt this past weekend, but I mainly don't post just basic chicken breast cooks, etc. because I don't think they are anything special. I guess I have been 'intimidated' by some of the of heavy hitters here that produce cooks that look like they came out of a magazine. 

Mine don't look like that, but now that I have thought about it, maybe I should post more pics of my basic cooks. I enjoy looking at every post that has a pic in it regardless of how complex or simple it is, and when I see a basic cook picture posted here by another member I appreciate it. 

Maybe I have been too hard on myself and thought that mine weren't good enough even though I don't think that when I see others posting basically the same thing. 

At the end of the day I am here because I am an Egghead. I love the grill and what I can do with it. I like spending time with other people that share my passion for it. I can talk for hours to a fellow egghead and still have something to say. 

I like looking at the pics and reading about all of the cooks here. From the very complex that I would never attempt to the most basic. 

I say post away from the complex to the basic. And remember friends don't let friends cook with gas. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • paqman
    Mickey said:

Please Egg and post pictures. That's how this will grow. My wife says: "I wish I could eat I damn meal without have to take its picture first".

LOL, I had this discussion with SWMBO yesterday and it's not the first time. ;)

• Yea - I post very little and when I do very little response.....http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1169721/past-weekend-cooks-pics#latest Maybe my pics and post are not worthy......... This is a cooking forum though not a photo contest.... LOL
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • Keep posting.  I've got to have something to read at work.
  • Mickey said:
    Please Egg and post pictures. That's how this will grow. My wife says: "I wish I could eat I damn meal without have to take its picture first".
    My hubby laughs at me.  I don't post ordinary stuff, but if it's a first for me, I try to! :)

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    You think this is good? When I first joined, Village Idiot had me gawking at everything he posted. Not only did he post unique food, it was beautifully plated and there was usually a elegant place setting to go with it. All of his posts were professionally photographed too.

He didn't intimidate me, he inspired me to do better. Do yourself a favor and go look at his threads because he was in a league of his own.

Another to look at for just plain awesomeness, is @Zippylip‌ The guy is the Tim Burton of eggheads. I spent a day looking at his threads and loved every minute of it.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    One day I took a look at Village Idiot's personal blog where he has his cooks posted and OMG were they ever so good. 

I sent him a PM that day and told him that I was in awe. He really is a great cook. I miss him : ( 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • paqman

Yea - I post very little and when I do very little response.....http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1169721/past-weekend-cooks-pics#latest

Maybe my pics and post are not worthy......... This is a cooking forum though not a photo contest.... LOL

@davejames0426‌ - No problem with your pics or post. It may be a question of timing/marketing (catchy tittle?). There are so many new members and new posts that it is hard to keep up with the flow unless you spend the day on the forum... Personally, I usually don't look at the forum unless I am about to post something I cooked. I usually look at posts from members I've come to be familiar with and catchy titles. When I have more time like on weekends and now (I'm on vacation), I take the time to look at more posts.

cazzy said:

You think this is good? When I first joined, Village Idiot had me gawking at everything he posted. Not only did he post unique food, it was beautifully plated and there was usually a elegant place setting to go with it. All of posts were professionally photographed too.

He didn't intimidate me, he inspired me to do better. Do yourself a favor and go look at his threads because he was in a league of his own.

Another to look at for just plain awesomeness, is @Zippylip‌ The guy is the Tim Burton of eggheads. I spent a day looking at his threads and loved every minute of it.

I wonder where he is. He was truly an inspiration. He is the reason why I got a wok and a spider. Hopefully everything is ok for him.

paqman said:

cazzy said:

You think this is good? When I first joined, Village Idiot had me gawking at everything he posted. Not only did he post unique food, it was beautifully plated and there was usually a elegant place setting to go with it. All of posts were professionally photographed too.

I wonder where he is. He was truly an inspiration. He is the reason why I got a wok and a spider. Hopefully everything is ok for him.
    He's doing great! He sent me an email the other day. This reminds me that I forgot to respond to him.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    It is all good, that's what makes this place special to those that return daily. Like the TV, if you don't like what you see, change the channel - there is always another thread. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Seriously post count means nothing.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    Sometimes people just post for the sake of posting.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    You know...like instead of completing a thought in one post they use multiple :P.  

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    That's too funny @henapple‌ =))
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited August 2014
    Looks like I have 4672.  I think about 4000 are some form of "Looks good!" or "Nice cook!" ;) 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited August 2014
    This has really turned into a great thread. I love the posts that inspire me to try something new. There are a lot of great cooks on here, whether they are an egg newbie or a crusty old veteran.  I haven't posted a lot of my cooks because, quite frankly, I forget or don't have a free hand to get a capture of the end results. 

Here's an example, I had my whole family in town last weekend and my in-laws joined us for dinner. We had 27 people for dinner. I made a whole packer brisket, two pork butts, two spatchcocks, Alder planked salmon, and grilled veggies for dinner. Not to mention, mashed potatoes, potato salad, sweet corn, etc.  I had three eggs going as well as all the other prep work. By the time we were ready to serve, I had rubber gloves on and grease up to my elbows. The only pictures from the whole gathering are the ones below that my wife took. I didn't know she even took them until today. Everything turned out as good as I could hope for but as you know, "without pictures, it didn't happen!" HA!

My little 13 month old niece thought the brisket was pretty good! There wasn't a morsel left over from the whole 10 lbs.

Bottom line is - KEEP SHARING! I appreciate all the great lengths that people go to to share their ideas whether it's a simple cook or not. All good stuff.

imageimageimage
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I love all kinds of posts. As I spend some time here I start to recognize the most frequent posters and elaborate cooks and such. Yeah a lot of people can run circles around what I do but people are so willing to share and teach that it's great. Most nights I'm just trying to get a pork loin and some green beans in the table for the family at a reasonable hour - so I like to see other beginners do basic stuff. It gives me ideas. And I'm starting to bookmark more elaborate ideas, like a post by @sgh about a rib roast, which is almost certainly what I'll be eating for Christmas.

Photos yes - I'm going to try to artfully arrange some food with indirect lighting and some out of focus elements. And I'll use artisanal in the post. And I hope someone busts my balls about it!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @minniemoh - that last pic, hand feeding the wee one - that's what it is all about. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @minniemoh‌ ...you had me till the "rubber gloves and grease up to my elbow". Reminded me of Salado.
    X_X
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    another thing to remember is that the older posters stop taking pics of the hohum weekday cooks and when they put out their best they photoshoot it
    :D and from all my posting its the simple cooks that get the responses, like hotdogs

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    henapple said:
    @minniemoh‌ ...you had me till the "rubber gloves and grease up to my elbow". Reminded me of Salado. X_X

=))
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    edited August 2014
    Also being new on here I've posted up pics that have prompted corrective criticism to improve my next attempt. Some of the more seasoned guys on here can get more out of a pic and offer up ideas and possible changes to make your cooks more appealing  and tasty. Weather it be  going direct or indirect or raised maybe a temp change. All these things I've found to be very helpful and built my confidence to move on to bigger and harder cooks. I try a post up as many pics as I can remember to take just for the input that I receive be it good or bad. The BGE is definitely a challenge and there is a learning curve. Thanks to all for the advise received to date...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Great original post and awesome others, Just what I was thinking for the last month @Stemc33, thank you.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Mickey said:
    You should have seen the faces of SWMBO friends last week when I took a pic of a pork chops. She started to explain, " well, he always...... LOL 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    @Stemc33, It is not the price of the camera nor the price of the outdoor kitchen, it is the man behind both tools... 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site