Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foggy thermometer

Q-Scoop
Q-Scoop Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've used my Egg twice and the thermometer has moisture on the inside of it. Normal? Cure? Catherine

Comments

• Q-Scoop,
    Definitely normal. Not sure about a cure. Even my Tel-Tru thermometers occasionally get a bit of fog, but not as bad. You might look into getting a Tel-Tru when your original finally bites the dust. If you do get a Tel-Tru, you will see they have 2.5" and 5.0" stems. Here's some information about the two models, in case you are interested:[p][li]Which Tel-Tru?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Q-Scoop,
    It's normal. Some have put a bead of silicon sealant around the glass and metal ring before the moisture gets in. Once moisture is in some have put it in a low temp oven to dry the moisture. It may have to be re-calibrated after that. Or you can eventually get a different thermometer as suggested by TNW below.
    It's just another one of those egg things that we all learn to live with, adapt to or work around. Joe

• Q-Scoop,
    I keep a cover over my Egg and I have never had the problem of fogging the guage. [p]Jerry

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Jwirlwind,
    I cover my eggs too, but not while they are hot. What I do during the interim is pull the thermometer out (I never use the clip underneath)place it in dry spot and plug the dome hole with a wooden golf tee. Works for me!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Q-Scoop,
    normal.[p]easy cure.
    i drilled a tiny drip hole at the underside of the rim...[p]not only does it let out condensed moisture that is already in there, but it equalizes the inner humidity (in the dial) with the outside air. couldn't fog any more if it wanted.[p]the tip of the probe is where the action is (in side the dome), regarding recording temps. there's no magic vacuum or atmosphere in that dial that's required to make it work, so fear nothing about breaching the inside of the dial space....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,
    I did this when Stike mentioned it before worked for me...
    Jeff

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597

Jeff1,
    good to know.
    don't wanna be spoutin bad advice[p]jeff2

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Q-Scoop,
    I had one only last 2 months. Fog first then after a few more weeks the sound everyone hates to hear: Boing! Boing! spring detached from needle. I now follow suggestion the guage comes in with the food; hole plugged with nail. I expect to get many more accurate years with present guage.

• I had my best helper (husband) drill a small hole. Problem fixed. Thanks! Catherine