Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Modifications

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Just curious how does everyone trick out there minis? What is everyone's favorite modifications and accessories? Just picked up a mini a few days ago and am curious. HighQ lump grate or factory grate? Rutland gasket? Cast iron grid or SS? Woo or plate setter? Your thoughts and input is most wanted. Thanks in advance.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I have the Hi-Que, Woo ring and the 2 stones. I would like to see a little more room between the stone and grid so I will be working on something to create that extra gap.

Sometimes we just use the mini as a burner like on the range. Creating pan sauces and maintaining their heat.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    fry basket for my mini kub, i think this ones too big for a mini but im sure theres some 8 inch ones out there. 20 wings on a ten inch grill

:D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WC1
    WC1 Posts: 42

Hotch nailed it. When using the woo, the gap between the stone and the grid isnt enought even for the thinnest of drip pans. Might look at the plate setter to see if there is a little more of a gap. Hi-que is a must. Brings it up to temp in no time.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I would buy a high que, a woo ring, a stone and a Rutland the day I bought a mini.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    When I bought this mini the band and vent were rusty. After cleaning them up with some acid I painted to match the egg. Replaced the gasket to a Rutland. Not a fan of the scissor hinge. If I were to do it all over again I would have bought the new style band. When first looking at the new style band they wanted $50 for it. I passed on it. After months on the scissor hinge I grew tired of it. Went in last year to pick up a new style band and now BGE wants $75. Um......no. The scissor hinge band works but not as nice as the current band.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited August 2014
    High que, woo, stones, cast iron, Rutland.

Need: better handle, mines pretty mucked up but I guess I can sand and coat it.
    Seattle, WA
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255

There isn't a lot you can do with the Mini to make it more effective, but some of the better accessories have already been suggested.  On the other hand, it doesn't take much to create some wonderful dishes on the Mini.

Over the years I've been amazed at the creations our fellow Eggheads have come up with.  I began collecting the photos and putting them into an easy to watch video and posted them on YouTube.

This is the seventh one and there is another soon to follow.  But I think this one will give you some ideas as to what folks do with their Mini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_DIshWuRLE&list=UUd8OXP_tkp28l2eMVZJHBXg

Mine just sits on the counter top on the three ceramic feet.  When I got it many years ago there wasn't much available to go with it.  But the Mini Woo, 10" stainless grill, pizza stone, cast iron griddle, and Mini Wok took my Mini to a much higher level.

Let us know if you come up with something totally new.  But to my thinking, the Mini is Perfect right out of the box.  Anything else just makes it Perfecter.

Spring "Mighty Mini Makes Mighty Magic" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited August 2014
    5" High Que, Mini Woo, 10" stainless grill, pizza stones (indirect with these and Woo no need for platesetter), cast iron griddle, and Mini Wok. Plus my Grid Lifter and ash tool (thanks LawnRanger). Also the Carten. Oh, the three Egg Feet. Also important is OO for lump (thanks @henapple). This is the real reason I will most likely not get a Mini Max, I have all the toys and don't wish to have to do it all over. And yes, I do use them all.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The platesetter. Since you have the new fire ring it gives you that extra inch plus from the notches that is really handy if you want to do something bigger. The platesetter doesn't have room for a drip pan either the legs are short and it will also burn food from the radiant heat but you can make an aluminum foil disc to put between the plate setter and the grate and that helps. The woo for raised direct obviously.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited August 2014
    Here's a list of the customary accessories for the Mini:

Mini Woo (http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/mini-10-woo-ring/)
    Old Stone Oven Pizza Stones (http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-Oven-4444-Stones/dp/B0000E1FDC)
    Lodge CI griddle #L70GH3 (http://www.missionrs.com/L70GH3.html or http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_309165)
    10" Carbon Steel Wok (http://www.wokshop.com/store/detail.php?show=64)
    BGE has a cast iron grid (part# 10CI) that isn't shown on the BGE site and now offers a plate setter (part# PST).

The Egg Carten is pretty popular (http://eggcarten.blogspot.com/p/features-of-mini-egg-carten.html)

I use one of these MSR Alpine Plates as a drip pan (http://www.amazon.com/MSR-321104-Alpine-Plate/dp/B000FBSZGA)

High-Que grate is another option if you find your Mini needs a little better airflow. http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-High-Heat-Charcoal-Fire-Grate-Upgrade-for-Small-Mini-Big-Green-Egg-Grill_p_21.html

I tried the High-Que from my Small and it made no noticeable difference in performance in my Mini (it already rockets up to searing temps) but this can vary from Mini to Mini.

I have an old 9.5" SS grid with SS bolts attached for a second grid but it is pretty limited in clearance: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

My mini has a custom handle from AML wood art: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Gasket on my Mini is a Nomex (used leftover gasket from replacing the one on my XL and cut it down the middle since the wall thickness of a Mini is considerably less than an XL).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    one thing i do want to pick up for the little grill is a battery operated mattress pump to get it lit faster, seems i want the mini dinners served quickly compared to longer cooks off the large. its not that the mini doesnt do the longer cooks, its that i want quick treats done faster. im not seeing the need for all the setups, i made a steel inderect setup but find that tinfoil laid right on the hot coals works well, especially if you light thru the lower vent for the indirect cooks so you dont burn the foil as much
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited August 2014
    The platesetter. Since you have the new fire ring it gives you that extra inch plus from the notches that is really handy if you want to do something big. The platesetter doesn't have room for a drip pan either but i have made a barrier like a stone out of aluminum foil to help deflect some of the radiant heat between the platesetter and grate. The woo for raised direct obviously.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Yep forgot I have the wok also, you will enjoy that for frying from the looks of your appetite.
    Seattle, WA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
     Very cool bunch of information, @SGH, thanks!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Hotch
    Wok is next for me.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Forgot my handle (LawnRanger) and the Mapp Torch. Big torch is just toooo much. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Thank you all for the quick responses. Going to order the woo, cast iron grid, pizza stones tonight when I get home. I think I know a guy who can fix me right up with the Rutland ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hotch

@SGH And my Lodge 9 " cast iron fajita plates with holder. Great for getting that flat top taste. And works great to keep dinner warm with the wooden holder.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    edited August 2014
    @Hotch‌
    Now that's what I'm talking about. Will the dome close with that one on the grid?

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @Mickey‌
    I just noticed that aluminum box that your mini is sitting in. That's a awesome idea for sure.

Status- Standing by.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    SGH, search the forum, homemade from plywood
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Hotch
    edited August 2014
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    @SGH And the wooden plate holder is a separate item.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Is the plate stout enough to put on a Wok ring to use as a sear station?
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    one thing i do want to pick up for the little grill is a battery operated mattress pump to get it lit faster,

hmmm, I've been looking for something small and battery operated and can't seem to find anything - I never even heard of a mattress pump -Thanks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited August 2014
    RRP said:
    hmmm, I've been looking for something small and battery operated and can't seem to find anything - I never even heard of a mattress pump -Thanks!
    @RRP .. your local Wal*Mart ot Target will sell the small pump to inflate an air mattress. That is what a mattress pump is :-)

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SGH
    @Hotch‌
    Thanks for responding my friend. I really like the pan.
    @RRP‌
    The air mattress pumps can be purchased at any Dollar store, Kmart, Walmart etc. However if you already own a weed burner a 45 second blast through the bottom vent will bring the little mini up to a solid 350 degrees. This is the method I now use for high heat cooks on the mini. Just thought I would share.

Status- Standing by.

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Hotch said:

@SGH And my Lodge 9 " cast iron fajita plates with holder. Great for getting that flat top taste. And works great to keep dinner warm with the wooden holder.

Get these at KaTom restaurant supply..$20 for the 9" griddle and underliner..

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• SGH
    @bcsnave‌
    Thanks brother. I just ordered a bunch of new knives from KaTom a few days ago. Wish I would have noticed that they had the pan as well. I will get it the next time I order for sure. Again thanks my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I would fabricate a leaf-blower manifold for quick starts.  Also works well saving money on pet cremation. ;)  Ok, that wasn't funny.  Just getting my feet wet tonight.