Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Older big green egg

Well I finally bought my second egg from a private owner and after I purchased it I found that it's an older BGE and will not be able to use the current plate setter! So I will have to purchase a new fire ring also! Does anyone know of some one that has the older plate setter with the shorter legs?

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Why not see if AR fits? Probably worth your while to look into it.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Ar does fit. If you get a spider just get the 3 leg spider and not the 5
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Well I finally bought my second egg from a private owner and after I purchased it I found that it's an older BGE and will not be able to use the current plate setter! So I will have to purchase a new fire ring also! Does anyone know of some one that has the older plate setter with the shorter legs?

Can someone tell me the difference between the old versus new PS? I know the newer fire rings have indents for the PS legs, but are the new legs then taller or shorter or what? Or does it make any difference? I'd hate to think if I ever break my old PS then I will need to replace the fire ring also. TIA
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

RRP said:

Can someone tell me the difference between the old versus new PS? I know the newer fire rings have indents for the PS legs, but are the new legs then taller or shorter or what? Or does it make any difference? I'd hate to think if I ever break my old PS then I will need to replace the fire ring also. TIA
    Ron,

I believe he is referring to the old XL

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP

Ron,

I believe he is referring to the old XL

Thanks Steven! I didn't realize you were a mind reader besides being a great cook! BTW I couldn't help but notice you have been MIA for the last few weeks...family vacation time or busy with bizzness?
  • Little Steven
    Its our busy season. Just about over

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Its our busy season. Just about over

That's right! Now I remember the ground up there thaws July 15th and you have 4 weeks before the first freeze of the winter... LOL
  • Little Steven
    The op. If you have a small angle grinder you can deepen the slots on the fire ring with a thin metal blade. Word of caution: wear a full face shield and welders arm covers and leather gloves. :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    If the plate setter fits within the diameter of the egg, why do you have to use the slots. On my LBGE, sometimes I use the slots and sometimes I don't. On extended cooks when I fill it up with lump, I never use the slots. Not sure if it's true or not, but appears that there's more space for better airflow. Also, if the egg's fire is blazing, I don't worry about using the slots. Don't like burning my arm hair trying to get the PS into the slots.

I hope I'm not way off base, but is it a problem if the slots aren't used?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Thanks for all the comments!
  • I'm actually talking about an older medium BGE plate setter. The legs are shorter then the new ones. After talking to BGE company they do not offer the older plate setter, so now I have to buy the new fire ring and the new plate setter. I'm not familiar with the AR or the spider, can someone explain what they are?

Thanks for your time!

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited August 2014
    http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/categories/Medium-Big-Green-Egg®-Set%2dUps

I am going to order the medium woo2 and wok ring.  I just have to wait until the boss leaves town!
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • RRP

I'm actually talking about an older medium BGE plate setter. The legs are shorter then the new ones. After talking to BGE company they do not offer the older plate setter, so now I have to buy the new fire ring and the new plate setter.

Guess I'm still confused - are you saying with a newer shorter PS then the top of the PS is below the lip of the base making ingress and egress of say a pizza more difficult? If so then are you also saying the new fire ring in a new medium is taller to compensate for the shorter legs on the new PS?
  • timekpr1

Give them a call.  They are very nice people to deal with and will be able to do a better job of explaining it.  They will also be able to determine what you need based upon what you want to do.

Ceramic Grill Store

Phone: 940.387.0100

Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • timekpr1
    Did you figure it out?