Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is going on lately

What is gotten into all these outdoor cooking enthusiast on the forum lately? This month will be the end of my rookie season as an EggHead and have really learned so much. But, just as I am gaining confidence of great egging that includes long cooks, fast cooks, variety, plating, taking food pics, etc. etc., I get humbled by some amazing EggHeads.

Is it just me, or does it seem like everybody's upping their game in the egging world lately? I can think of a few cooks in the last few weeks that have an extreme WOW! factor.

What say you?
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited August 2014

I know what you mean.  I don't even bother posting my cooks 'cause I'm so far outta my league here.

One day, though . . .

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I agree 100 percent. There is some stiff competition on the forum. Brother husker and brother chilly have really been turning out some impressive stuff as of late. Brother grim guy has been one upping us all. I may have to change forums if this keeps up!'

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jwinn44
    Jwinn44 Posts: 49
    The forum is great and yes there are some very good posts on here. I do think that people should continue to post relative easy cooks as well though for all the new eggheads. Some cooks can be overwhelming to look at but once you give them a try you realize how amazing the egg is.
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Agreed. Why post pics of cooks with my crappy $100 phone while others are posting with their $1000 Cannon? Or whatever they own. Nobody here cares anyhow unless you have a couple thousand posts.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    I SO disagree! I want to see everything, from everyone! I can always learn from someone and I don't care if your posts are beautiful. I want to see your pics, even if they are from your dirty screen ipad (oh, wait - that's me. See my breakfast pic post, lol). Love the upping the game, but love the Average Joe cooks just as much. IMHO.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited August 2014
    tjosborne said:
    Agreed. Why post pics of cooks with my crappy $100 phone while others are posting with their $1000 Cannon? Or whatever they own. Nobody here cares anyhow unless you have a couple thousand posts.

Au contraire, mon frere' .

Pics are worth a thousand words and are motivational. Lots of people on here are using cheap cameras. For me, it's not always the quality of the pic that motivates me, it's the visual concept that helps me understand things.
    FWIW, I care, and I don't have a couple thousand posts. I encourage everyone to post pics, good or bad. It's just another tool to help us become better cooks.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    There are numerous astute cooks on this forum and some really helpful people as well. It's why I joined. To soak up their knowledge. As of late there has been a lot of folks that have really stepped up and posted some amazing cooks. Some of the big names drop in and post here and there. But lately it's been us lower ranking chefs posting most of the cooks. I have also noticed some of the people that I really like seem to have suddenly stopped. Examples- TOTN, Ponder, fusionhq, hapster just to name a few. Anyone know what become of them? At any rate just want to say no matter who you are post away my friends. We all started with post #1. For months I only gave advice. I was still using a flip phone with no internet. Could not post pics. This ultimately caused me some issues. People thought I was a troll because I only gave advice. No photos as evidence. Bought a iPhone and problem rectified. Now I post almost everyday. Even if it's just hot dogs. Somedays if I'm feeling lucky I may post 5 or more cooks. Just depends. I do not have fancy camera equipment either. Only a iPhone. I couldn't work a camera if you gave me one. My point in all of this. No matter who you are or what you cook or what you take pics with post it brother. The forum is just as much yours as it is anyone else's. Have fun and let rip my friends.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH said:

I agree 100 percent. There is some stiff competition on the forum. Brother husker and brother chilly have really been turning out some impressive stuff as of late. Brother grim guy has been one upping us all. I may have to change forums if this keeps up!'

.....and the above quote shows us all how we come together. I've been relying on this forum to show me the way on my LBGE since before I ever picked it up. Fast forward one year and someone who can smoke a pork shoulder on a mini within a weekend of picking it up is saying I'm "competition". (I wish brother @SGH‌ ).

The great thing about this place is that there are a ton of like minded cooks looking for new ideas to put on the table and also looking for ideas to make our assembled recipes and make them POP even more with a new idea.

It's a rare place on the interwebz that folks can (more often than not) come together in the interest of the common good, and here we usually do..... to the benefit of all of our dinners!!!!

Now if you'll all excuse me I'm going to go back to attempting to debone a chicken..... I'm gonna get this down.
  • SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Well said brother chilly. And for the record you have been turning out very impressive cooks and giving solid advice. You vastly under estimate your contributions here. Keep cooking brother. You have our attention I assure you.

Status- Standing by.

• @SGH‌ thanks for the kind words my friend
  • stemc33
    edited August 2014
    @ChillyWillis‌ , can't wait to see the pics of the deboned chicken. Looks like @NPHuskerFL‌ may have started something. It was his deboned chicken and the egg in the avocado that @PNWFoodie‌ posted that made me start thinking about all the crazy stuff going on. We've had everything from monster chops to tomahawk steaks, even kangaroo. What'll be next?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    @stemc33‌
    I'm gearing up to smoke some bovine eyes on the egg.

Status- Standing by.

• @stemc33‌ Haha ya want to see a pic..... This is what my chicken looks like now:

I made a mistake early and pulled a wing bone before I should have. That lead to the top 1/3 of a side of the rib cage pulling out and making the rest of the process tougher than it should have been. After about 30 min struggling with it I decided to save this bird for a soup and try again another day.

Today was my first attempt at one but it won't be my last.
  • SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Mistakes happen to everyone. But you live to fight another day brother chilly!! Way to turn a error into a great meal. Chicken soup!

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    @SGH‌ Thanks brother..... I never walk away from a meal, I just try and reimagine it.
  • SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Brother please don't take this wrong but you remind me of myself. Always thinking ahead. That is a excellent quality my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    @ChillyWillis‌ , after looking at your pic, I tried to look up deboning a chicken on YouTube. I know I'm straying OT on my own thread, but I came across this guy cutting up a chicken. He's not deboning it, but cutting it up. It's about 3 minutes and is must see. Enjoy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V37Pc45P4HA
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • I agree and diasagree. I have only been egging for a couple of weeks, but have done some nice cooks. I haven't posted them all due to lack of pics and joining the forum.

Heck i have posted pics of stuff simple as a whole chicken and hamburgers. Why? It's fun for me and i know i enjoy seeing everyone elses. Each post is different seasoning, prep, rub, brine, temps, etc. I pick up a little knowledge and ideas from each one.

Of course when one of the "pro" Eggers post something out of this world, i think wtf am i doing.... but you gotta start somewhere.

Blake.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    When I joined the forum around December last year, the first posts that captured my attention were Hapster posts..He seemed to capture the whole atmosphere around cooking on the egg, this appealed to me, and I enjoyed his pics and posts and still do..I also don't post all my cooks but enjoy looking and learning from everyone else..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Its interesting as a want-to-be egger, i joined in order to learn more and to (hopefully) make less purchasing mistakes. I try not to be an impulse buyer. But i also know that my twenty years in the food service business will allow me to help others, so i post where i can. Some of my favorite posts from others are the simple ones, One picture or so of everyday cooks. It doesn't have to be a documentary, it just says, hey all I'm alive and egging. I love to hear about failures, especially from the experienced eggers. You know, when you turbo cook a butt and it comes out like a brick, or when you leave the steaks on caveman style and take your bosses phone call. THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION. Its a place to share an interest and a hobby.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I'm not upping my game. Work has been nuts so the egg has been cold and alone on many evenings lately.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Good morning. I like to cook period. I take pics with my 2 yr old (no special app) HTC One S Android "phone". I have had many failed cooks. And even took pics of those (gotta learn somehow right?). For me personally my pics have evolved because, I want to get better not because of anything else. My last cook's title was kind of a poke at myself as I have done so many different kinds of Spatchcock. Literally I've done close to a hundred or more Spatchcock so I didn't want to do another yesterday but, of course I'll do another. Yesterday the prep was VERY CHALLENGING & it took me time which I took the time to sort of document step by step but, by nomeans was it a cake walk. I like a challenge and believe it is necessary to challenge ourselves. This is how we get better. But, to be fair I believe everybody on the forum has some knowledge to offer. Share away. Happy egging :-)

OBW Sept will be my one yr anniversary egging. So, I'm fairly new still yet.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Livinloud5‌ I agree Blake.

Blake :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Between all the Rob Zombie, Kiss, Nirvana, Ozzy, Cash, Willie Nelson videos etc I also manage to watch MANY, MANY, MANY cooking and prep YouTube videos. And I get a lot of ideas there and also here from our forum. For me it's fun.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    henapple said:

tjosborne said:

I disagree. I shoot with my camera. Not everyone has a light meter and silver umbrellas in their kitchen @cazzy. I like to see people's pictures whether it's a spatchcock or ribs. Post count have nothing to do with anything.
    Haha...you're a clown. You and Jake have way more lighting gear than I do. I just barely got a flash this year.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    tjosborne said:

@tjosborne, I totally disagree.  Post count, per se, is irrelevant.  I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure I represent the majority with what I am about to say. 

I don't care who posts something.  And I tend to not really care about the quality of the photography as long as I can get a handle on the quality of the cook when I read the post and look at the pics.  A high post count might (and often does) represent someone who has been making regular contributions by posting many of their cooks, with pics, that allow others to learn from them.  To many of us they become a trusted resource.  In that regard they have some "street cred".  At one point, when someone asked for brisket advice, Centex and I simultaneously gave him contradictory advice.  He chose not to follow my recommendation and go with what Centex had said - even though I know my advice for his particular dilemma was better  :) .  I didn't pout about it, I just thought "Hmmm.  If I were that guy, I'd probably do the same thing he did."

So please.  Post away - with phone pics.  Join in.  Make regular contributions.  Go to an eggfest and meet some of the great people on these boards in person.  Or go to Salado and meet some of the other types.  Your input will always be welcome as long as it is thoughtful and constructive, or even a little bit humorous.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    i think its the newbies that up the anti every year, they see whats posted and go at it with a new enthusiasm, an enthusiasm that i had the first several years of egging. as they get better they start posting things ive never even thought of. 12 years ago most cooks posted were very basic, its really taken off
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it