Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Brisket $$$ !!!!!

RLARLA Posts: 89
edited 4:17AM in EggHead Forum
Im kinda curious. I wonder what all you guys pay for brisket out there. Here in CA (Bay Area) it is going for $4.00/lb. and I find that kinda expensive for a cheap cut of beef. Given that they come in 7-9 lb packages, I am not wont to ante up $30 to $36 all that often.....if you get my drift. Too bad for me, cuz Id sure like to do a chunk o' chest as often as y'all do.

Comments

• JJJJ Posts: 951
    RLA,
    $.88 per lb in Northern Alabama

• RLARLA Posts: 89
    JJ, I can see that you dont have to apply for a bank loan in order to buy brisket in northern alabama...
    Bob

• sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    RLA,[p]Like JJ, here in S. IL its pretty cheap. The last 2 briskets I got I picked up at Wal Mart last weekend. I have 5 of them in the freezer now, stocking up for winter I guess. The brisket was $.89/pound but they were at the expiration date so they were 35% off of that. So I guess that made them about $.60/pound +/-. It always kills me to see what others pay for brisket, expecially on the east and west coast. I think NB pays upwards of $4 per pound also.[p]Troy
  • CatCat Posts: 556
    sprinter,[p]You think it kills YOU? ;-}[p]My big-city butcher charges $5.99 per pound for trimmed flats. If I get a whole untrimmed brisket (which I have to special order), he gives me a deal - just $4.99.[p]Cathy

• sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    Cat,[p]Thats BIG city prices I guess. I do miss the ability to have almost immediate access to some interesting food shops like you have. Being able to go to the local Italian/International market for different spices etc. S. IL definitely has its advantages but there are drawbacks too, access to things is one of them. For the price I could buy some brisket here, freeze it and ship it to you and you'd still come out cheaper than if you were to buy it locally. Thats STEEP for brisket.[p]Troy
  • RLA,
    Go to one of the out lying comunities, I'll bet you can find it a whole lot cheaper! I paid $.79/lb for the last three I bought. I got them at Wally World (Wal-Mart to the uneducated :-))) ) 'cause the butcher here in town wants to play like he's in the big city and get upwards of $2.50 to $3.50/lb. I won't pay that! I've told him so too! They use to consider brisket as dog meat, in all honesty! Why let them rake you over the coals? I see where CAT has to pay that much too! Youse folks need to come to da mid-west, and experience good, clean simple livin'!!!! I have paid as high as $1.99/lb when no one had them on sale or everyone was cookin' them. Now I stock up on them when I find them on sale. Freeze 'em in the cry-o-vac bag and keep 'em up to a year.(they'd never last that long here!)[p]Keep looking Bob, you'll find them priced better somewhere out there![p]Cheers,
    Dr. C

• DecDec Posts: 70
    RLA,
    I am also in the bay area, I have noticed that Costco prices are fair.
    I don't think Wall Mart has a meat section around here.[p]Dec

• CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
    Cat,[p]One pound of untrimmed flat: $5.99
    20 pound bag of lump: $5-$10
    10 pound of bag of wood: $5-$10[p]The expressions on your guests' faces when they try your deliciously slow-smoked brisket: Priceless![p]Infringer of copyrights,
    Cornfed

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    RLA,[p]Here in the sticks of Southern NJ they run $2.50-$3.00 lb if you can find them. Well worth the incredible taste.[p]Spin

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    RLA, That is eggxactly my my uncle moved form CA to Kansas. I have bought 3 briskets this year and cooked. Whole cry-o-vac briskets where bought for 79 cents a lb. That's crazy.[p]CWM

• bdavidsonbdavidson Posts: 411
    RLA,
    MAN! I'd hate to hear what your prime rib runs out there!@#!$%^!!

• RLA, You need to shop a little more. Here in San Jose the Albertson store has untrimmed brisket at 1.89/lb. Trimmed (?) brisket is 2.89. As noted, Costco has decent prices but I have not been able to find brisket in the store, but don't know if they can order.

• RLA,[p]I just came bach from Walmart(Alliance, Ohio). I bought a 12 lb. brisket for .98 per lb. I probably should of bought another one, in case this was a special deal. [p]Billy-Bob