Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip Pan

Options
marianneiamele1
marianneiamele1 Posts: 119
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
I think I found some easy drip pans at Sam's today.  $4.98 for 30.  Of course if there is too much dripping going on...it could be a problem.  But these look easy to me and I look forward to trying them out!
XL...Round Rock, TX

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nice call. Be sure to put some type of spacers between it and the plate setter.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    @Hotch What do you mean by spacers...still a newbie here.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Nice find- I think that will work well.  You could always get some of the matching 1/2 steam table pans for bigger jobs as well.  

Spacers just means something to elevate the drip pan off of the plate setter do the drippings don't scorch.  You can use little balls of foil or some kind of rack such as a "cooling rack".  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    If you set them directly on the plate setter whatever is in it be Juice, fat drippings etc... will burn and could possibly give a gnarly taste to the food

I have the feet that came with my egg i used under drip pans, pizza stone etc....

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    @smokeyPitt and llrickman thanks for the tips...makes a lot of sense!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I use either 1/2" copper tees or cooling rack
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

Good idea.

Seems like a lot cheaper than what I normally buy. 

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I can't tell how deep those are from the photo, but you can't beat the price.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That is a great price especially for that many. I used a drip pan for the first time yesterday on my first butt and FORGOT to use a spacer. Luckily I didn't scorch my drippings. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @marianneiamele1 - Just be careful when removing those drip pans if they are full of hot grease. I would imagine that they are pretty flimsy and will fold or flop. If you don't plan to remove any of your setup to change the cook while things are still hot, you should be fine.

I used to use a foil pizza pan before I spent a few bucks and purchased the stainless steel drip pans from CGS. They could be my best accessory purchase to date. I wrap them in foil to simplify clean up and I can carefully remove them to go to a direct cook without them folding unexpectedly. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    My crunchy granola self can't justify disposable pans. I also use SS for my drip pans.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • lensegg
    lensegg Posts: 35
    Options
    What size aluminum foil pan fits into a legs up large platesetter, please?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Hotch What do you mean by spacers...still a newbie here.
    Easy way is to make some golf ball size foil balls, squash them to flatten a bit so they are 1/2"-3/4" thick. Great thermal insulation and inexpensive. I have three that I've used for the past two or three years. Similar to your heat table pans, look for some round pans - they fit the egg profile very well, easy to centre with no overhang of the setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    @lensegg. These fit perfectly in the large platesetter...$2.00 each at Dollar General..Great for big indirect cooks.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    @johnmitchell I think we need to keep a variety of stuff on hand.  I'm always looking for easy, cuz I work...this looks great!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I picked a pack of these up today but for $2.00 more in at SAMS in Fla. Oh well should get plenty of use out of them...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• marianneiamele1
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Sixpack1...it is interesting how much prices vary from one part of the country to another.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I never use liquid. I use a thin layer of salt. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• marianneiamele1
    Options
    @Mickey how does that work?  What is the advantage of using salt?
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Mickey
    Options
    You should not use liquid in the Egg. This collects the drippings. This is just about the only cook I use a pan with. As said; do not set directly on the stone.

• Mickey
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Also note I do not buy pans. HD foil works fine over cookie sheet.

• marianneiamele1
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Mickey I agree with you...but I have seen some people say that they put water in a drip pan during a cook...my fear would be if the drip pan tipped.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Mickey
    Options
    I am president of the NO WATER in the Egg Club. Remember: three different ways to do anything with a Egg. Don't over think the tipped pan deal.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I bought the deep pans that go with the lids and put a layer of heavy duty foil in it to cover the whole brisket I was doing and it made an air gap so the drippings wouldn't burn. You could stick small balls of foil under it to keep the drippings from burning.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    As far as spacers, I bought 4  1/2 inch steel nuts at local HD.  Pretty inexpensive, and they'll last as long as I do.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    For those worried about the pan not being elevated on the plate setter do you not cook with the PS and no pan? If so then do the drippings not get cooked off and burn? I haven't experienced the foul of not raising a pan yet but I'm only using it on L&S pork butts.
    Jacksonville FL