Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock ready to go but raining; will it be good to cook tomorrow?

Options
SmokyBear
SmokyBear Posts: 389
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys..

Ugh!  Rain (all day according to weather forecast) is gonna mean I can't cook the spatchcock chick I bought yesterday..

I washed and dried it, and left it naked in the fridge for about 4 hours starting around noon yesterday.  Then covered with DP Raging river around 4 PM.

It's been uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours now.

Since I don't want to <gasp> BAKE it, is it safe to cook tomorrow night?  That'd be around 2 days and 6 hours uncovered in the fridge from the time I washed it (shortly after buying).

Thanks..
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    Why is rain a problem?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I would think it would be OK, but I'm with @mlamb01, I'd cook it in the rain.

Also, the FDA advises against washing poultry - there really isn't a benefit, and you risk more cross contamination: 

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/washing-food-does-it-promote-food-safety/washing-food
    NOLA
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

You aint gonna let a little rain stop you are you. That egg has a lid on it. Get out there and enjoy your cook.

BTW, the chicken will be fine if you wait another day!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The worst that can happen is the skin dries out even more (good thing). Unless it was close to spoiling when you got the bird, another 24 hours in the fridge won't be a problem.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    Well, since I'd have the DFMT open some, rain would come through and hit both the bird and the lump..

Even if the fire doesn't go out, the adder water won't help with crispy skin!
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Your so right! What was I thinking! 8-|

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    No worries. Here's a 4 step plan.

1. Light Egg

2. Get to temp w/ Umbrella

3. Put bird on Egg

4. Pull bird from Egg

Man, are you a Georgia Bulldog? They cancel practice if it's too cold and rainy! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    I routinely leave my spatchcocked birds in the fridge for 48 hours in order to fully dry out the skin. Not only will it be ok, it will help to provide even crispier skin!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    using the handle on the daisy, form some foil and make a tent on it. cook away
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    using the handle on the daisy, form some foil and make a tent on it. cook away
    Hey, THAT may work!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I hate cooking in the rain. :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    I hate cooking in the rain. :D
    its much better in the snow....come on wintah
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Been there. Done that. Sounds like a reasonable excuse to purchase Smokeware. & no waiting 1 day won't hurt the Spatchcock. If it was me I'd cook it in the rain. Then again this time of yr we get rain almost daily. I see no point in scheduling my cooks based upon weather predictions &/or conditions. But, to each their own I guess.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    Checked into the Smokeware but they are sold out until early Sept..and Matt thinks it may not fit my "Black Egg"..errr..KJ Classic.  He's apparently making one for the KJ but it won't be out until EOY (ugh).
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    Wife is wondering..should we cover the chick with plastic wrap?  She's worried about it either picking up other food flavors, transfering chicken flavor to other things in the fridge, or bacteria (we always cover meat out on the counter..usually don't even leave it buck naked in the fridge for similar reasons)..
  • DMW
    Options
    No, don't cover with plastic wrap. That will cause condensation to build up and ruin the skin you spent so much time drying. Just push it to the back of the fridge and leave it alone.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Go out and cook it! I've used my BGE in pouring rain without any problem... If you are really worried you can make a cover with alluminium foil as suggested by fishlessman.

The only problem I can see is taking pictures... Remember, pics or it did not happen!

Options
    Maybe I'm odd but I don't even think about chicken in packaging for a wee. If it was washed and dried even longer. You have it rubbed with a heavily salted rub which acts as a preservative. Maybe I should read the FDA guidelines again.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The amount of salt in a rub is not enough to act as a preservative.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ballardbbq
    Options
    I live in Seattle. If we didn't Egg in the rain, we wouldn't Egg for 8 months of the year. The rain doesn't hurt anything, it won't hurt your chicken and the skin will still be crispy.

Large, Medium & Mini-Max - Seattle & a Puget Sound Island

• SmokyBear
    Options
    OK, so can I still wait until tomorrow to cook it?  It's POURING here (animals 2 by 2 pouring..) and I'd have to stand in the middle of it to get things going..plus, electric lighter is my standard method, and I'm not in a huge hurry to electrocute myself by mixing electricity and water..
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    REALLY do not want to waste a good DP-rubbed chick by <yikes> BAKING it..
  • DMW
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    OK, so can I still wait until tomorrow to cook it?  It's POURING here (animals 2 by 2 pouring..) and I'd have to stand in the middle of it to get things going..plus, electric lighter is my standard method, and I'm not in a huge hurry to electrocute myself by mixing electricity and water..
    Yes, you are fine keeping it in the fridge until tomorrow. Unless that bird was sitting around past it's sell by date at the store already and you did not keep it properly refrigerated, you are fine. Wait til tomorrow, in the mean time, grab a drink and relax, that's what I'm about to do. :D
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SmokyBear
    Options
    Awesome!  Thanks guys.  Sounds like leftover pizza (albeit, grilled and homemade) for dinn.  :(
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    This occurred on my last cook on Sunday. Saturday too but, no pic. Rain stop me =)) The 2nd pic was during a TS. :)) imageimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    Wow..that's a nice setup!

Just so you guys don't think I totally wussed out with a little sprinkle...

I just read that SE MI got ** 4.5 inches ** of rain today.  Streets and basements are flooded everywhere..roads are closed..it wasn't just "rain" - it was "torrents"!

I also think I saw a bearded guy dressed in sackcloth, with a whole bunch of critters in a very large boat go down my street at one point.  Not entirely sure, but looked that way..
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    LOL....I was just about to tell you I cooked this tonight in the rain.  But, yeah...mine was a drizzle compared to what you described.

I have cooked in the rain, but haven't had hard enough rain to stop me yet.  (meaning, I didn't have a cook planned in a torrential downpour).  But, once that happens I guess I'll be buying one of those smoke stack things that doesn't let rain in the egg.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SmokeyBear‌ I'm just bustn' on ya man. But, FWIW a popup or umbrella does wonders.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    No worries. Here's a 4 step plan.

1. Light Egg

2. Get to temp w/ Umbrella

3. Put bird on Egg

4. Pull bird from Egg

Man, are you a Georgia Bulldog? They cancel practice if it's too cold and rainy! 
    I agree with everything you said except the last sentence! Don't mess with a Dawg fan. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @SmokyBear‌
    Just for the record on more than one occasion I have let them sit uncovered in a cool controlled environment for up to and exceeding 72 hours. I'm not saying that you should do this. Always follow FDA guidelines and recommendations. But my point is simple on this matter. If there was a imminent threat or hazard I would not be here to respond to this message. Cook it tomorrow without fear or concern my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.