Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Giddy with excitement...and broke

Options
Q-Scoop
Q-Scoop Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did a beer-can chicken and some grilled veggies tonight. Came out terrific! Tomorrow I will attempt pizza. I've read some of the instructions about pizza on BGE expert Web sites. That's why I'm broke. Went and got the pizza stone, the extender and then while I was at it, bought a v-rack and a roasting pan. Thanks for all the early advice. I'll keep learning. Catherine

Comments

• Banker John
    Options
    Catherine,[p]Pizza is something that took me several attempts to 'get right.' Don't get disappointed with the first few attempts. Here are some things that I have learned:[p]a) Let the egg stabilize for a good 45minutes to an hour ahead of starting the first pizza cook. It was difficult for me to learn the vent settings to hold 510 steady for an extented pizza cook (more than 1 pizza and usually up to 6-8).[p]b) Use a pizza screen for better crusts[p]c) Have a timer handy[p]My favorite pizza is Salsa Pizza... Roll dough, top with sliced Mozz cheese, then top with favorite salsa, then top with White and Yellow Cheddar and a little shredded Mozz, (optional) then black olives. Bake at 510 for about 9-10 minutes. Let pizza sit for about 3 minutes then dollop with sour cream, slice & serve.[p]Second favorite is Ham, roasted garlic, carmelized onions, mozzarella and Asiago cheese with pineapple chunks. (This is a hit at work functions).[p]Banker John
  • Q-Scoop
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I am a little intimidated about this one. I'll let you know how it goes! Catherine

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    Q-Scoop, Our favorite is BBQ chicken pizza. We use smoked chicken, half pizza and half BBQ sauce, onions and cheeses. and the crust is usually out of bread dough from Publix Grocery. A frozen pizza taste about 200% better done on the EGG.
    Sounds like the Egg has got you. We started out with one.
    Poppasam

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Banker John,
    Geeeeez, those sound really good! How come you never told us about these before? <grinning>.

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Q-Scoop,
    FWIW - my set up for pizze is the platesetter with the feet down, the main grid in place over that, brid extender and then the pizza stone on top of the grid extender. This puts the pizza up in the dome so it doesn't burn the curst oand the topings cook very nicely. Good luck - i do pizza a lot before egg and now on the egg, but I burnt my first one I did on the egg - too hot at 650*. I guess I was thinking restaurant style pizza oven??? Good Luck & keep us posted. Joe

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    My first pizza was a disaster! I gave it to our exchange student to eat. The second was somewhat better and since then they have all been ok. I found that if I use the non-stick aluminum foil under the crust, it makes it easy to get on/off the stone. I just line my pizza pan with the foil, roll out the pizza and then pull the sheet of foil off the pan and onto th estone for cooking. When removing, I just reverse the process and use the pan to retrieve the pizza. Be careful with your movements however. That non-stick foil will pull completely out from under the pizza if you jerk it too fast (not a bad thing once you have it back in the pan after cooking - then you can reuse the foil for the 3rd pizza - the 2nd already rolled out and on the EGG by that time)