Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ACRID WHITE SMOKE...

Thanks to those who responded to my question yesterday... for the second night in a row I am having white smoke (and funky smell) issues from my BGE... Before I used it today I got rid of all the charcoal in the BGE, cleaned it thoroughly, and refilled it (stupidly with more of the same charcoal from the bag, Frontier Brand Lump Charcoal)... same issue... I have only used my BGE 5 times, will try again with Big Green Egg Brand Lump later this week.  But my question is, could anything else be causing this?  Lighting the charcoal incorrectly (the white smoke began as soon as the charcoal was lit)?  Placing the plate setter on (legs up) immediately after the fire was lit?  Not keeping the cover of the BGE open long enough?  Just trying to think of other things that might be causing this issue... 

Thanks all for your help!

Jeremy Perelman
Scarsdale, NY

Comments

• RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    How you getting your fire lit? Just curious.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Just give it time to clear. Depending on the lump, this could be ten to forty minutes.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Let it burn till clear. 30 minutes maybe more with fresh lump
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    It sometimes takes as much as an hour to clear but it also takes that time to get your egg stabilized at your desired cooking temp.  Patience.
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Just give it time to clear. Depending on the lump, this could be ten to forty minutes.

^^^^^ this
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    It's either the lump or how your lighting it. Curious as to how your lighting it?
    NW IOWA
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Good tips so far. Also consider using much less charcoal. Especially if you are just grilling for an hour or two. The less you use, the cleaner it burns.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    I was having the same problem. Was using Royal Oak lump. Over the weekend switched to Rockwood. Problem want away immediately. I don't know much but am convinced the quality of the charcoal is extremely important.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    It is more than likely your lump. Rockwood will not do this. If you can't get it locally order it from Firecraft.com. You will be so glad you did. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Thanks all for the responses -- I am lighting it with a looftlighter -- are there other preferable methods? Could I not be lighting enough of the charcoal?  

The white smoke eventually cleared but there was still a very funky smell coming from it.

Thanks again.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited August 2014
    I could be the charcoal, I have never tried frontier. I use Rockwood and it clears quickly, I used to use BGE and Royal Oak (they are same thing) and it took longer to clear. I would let the temp get stabilized at around 350 prior to putting in the plate setter and see if that works, your fire may need to get hotter to burn off that nasty stuff.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • If i wait until I stabilize the Egg at 350, then put the plate setter in, will that impact the air flow/temperature at all?  Also -- is there a prescriptive measure for how much charcoal to light, or ultimately when it gets up to temperature does it auto-correct itself?

Thanks!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Using the loft lighter the way you describe is not causing the problem.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • iPaddler
    iPaddler Posts: 14
    Don't be discouraged. Make sure that you have a good light going in the lump before closing the lid. I put in my platesetter and install the grid when the lump is showing a good amount of flame, then close the lid but leave the daisy wheel off and the vent open. With either BGE or Costco lump charcoal I get smoke at this point but stay patient until the Egg reaches 600+ and there is no smoke, probably 30 minutes from ignition.

Hope this helps, I too am a noob, had my XL since mid june 2014.
    Ontario, Canada. XL BGE, Napoleon Gasser
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    If i wait until I stabilize the Egg at 350, then put the plate setter in, will that impact the air flow/temperature at all?  Also -- is there a prescriptive measure for how much charcoal to light, or ultimately when it gets up to temperature does it auto-correct itself?

Thanks!
    Yes, the temperature will drop to around 250 then close your vents to where you set them for a 250 cook and let it when the white smoke clears you should be good. Remember a 25 degree plus or minus isn't a problem.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I just ordered some Rockwood and Ozark Oak. We don't have any outlets (that I am aware of) here in the Northwest, so I order some from Firecraft. Anxious to try them out.
    Thanks to everyone for posting your experiences and reviews on both of these brands.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I just bought my first bag of frontier. It definitely takes longer to get rid of the white smoke than cowboy, bge and RO. I hope I can find some other stuff
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • @mokadir Firecraft is in West Chester. If you order and call them you can go pick it up at their window. I am a Rockwood devotee. Buns very clean.
    LBGE; Adjustable Rig
    Delaware County, PA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2014
    I'm have no way if pin pointing your problem as I'm not there to see your egg. That being said let me name a few things that can and will cause acrid smoke. It then becomes a simple matter of process and elimination. Here are a few of many in no particular order or priority.

Lack of oxygen. Usual causes. Plugged or fouled lump grate and air inlets in the fire bowl.

Wet ceramics. Usual causes. Rain, water pan, large greasy cuts of meat, spritzing and mopping.

Poor quality or wet lump. Usual causes. Poor quality control at the manufacturing plant. Rain.

Green or unseasoned fuel. Usual causes. Natural resin and moisture.

Non neutral flame. Usual causes. Overcrowding, vents to closed for the amount of lit fuel, dust and particulates.
    Any type of air restriction. Improper vent settings etc.

Soot or build up on the inner ceramics. Usual causes. Spills and oxygen deprivation. Poor quality lump. Unseasoned fuel.

I would recommend a good cleaning of your egg. Be certain that all air holes in the fire bowl are clear and free of ash and dust. Check the lump grate as well for debris or build up. Load with a fresh supply of lump. Open the bottom screen and vent all the way. Remove the daisy wheel from the egg and then light. Give it 10-15 minutes and see what happens. It should burn hot and clean. I hope this helps to point you in the right direction. Let us know how it goes and good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Thanks to those who responded to my question yesterday... for the second night in a row I am having white smoke (and funky smell) issues from my BGE... Before I used it today I got rid of all the charcoal in the BGE, cleaned it thoroughly, and refilled it (stupidly with more of the same charcoal from the bag, Frontier Brand Lump Charcoal)... same issue... I have only used my BGE 5 times, will try again with Big Green Egg Brand Lump later this week.  But my question is, could anything else be causing this?  Lighting the charcoal incorrectly (the white smoke began as soon as the charcoal was lit)?  Placing the plate setter on (legs up) immediately after the fire was lit?  Not keeping the cover of the BGE open long enough?  Just trying to think of other things that might be causing this issue... 

Thanks all for your help!

Jeremy Perelman
    Scarsdale, NY

I would definitely change lumps - I've heard nothing but bad about Frontier. Not sure I'd go to BGE, though, since that is just RO with a pricier label. RO almost ruined the experience for me. Personally, I am a huge fan of FOGO, but my step-father prefers RW or OO. Just my 2 cents.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    The one bag of frontier I tried did the same thing, burned more like green firewood.  Un-cookable.  I returned the second bag.  By far the worst lump I ever used.  Worthless.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN