Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding an egg to my current Large, but should I get a Large or XL?

Options

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    So why the xl and not the xxl?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Beefer
    Beefer Posts: 41
    Options

So why the xl and not the xxl?

Too much for my needs.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Needs and wants....2 different animals
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    XL is the way to go 1000%  I just added an XL , I have a large and I love having the 2 .
    So glad that i went XL instead of another Large ,

Congrats and you did the right choice . ( at least i think so )
    Toronto
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Second Large. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    The only wrong choice would have been to not add another egg !!!

Toronto
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @Beefer‌ I think you will be happy with it. About a month ago we had friends over. I cooked 2 whole chicken, 6 baked potatoes, 6 corns, a big foil pack of squash and one of zucchini. All at 350 for a hour.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Beefer said:
    I just bought the XL, thanks everyone.  I love my cast iron grate for the large, but the XL looks like a beast.  Think I should skip it and just get grill grates?
    I have a cast iron 18" grid I use with my Woo for searing steaks.  If your CI for the large is full size, you can use it in the XL if you get a spider for the XL. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Beefer said:
    I just bought the XL, thanks everyone.  I love my cast iron grate for the large, but the XL looks like a beast.  Think I should skip it and just get grill grates?

Congrats on a fine choice with the XL! I have an XL half moon CI grid that I've used maybe twice in 4+ years. I prefer to use the CI from my large on my triangle hanger (predecessor to the spider for the XL) to get even closer to the lump. Like @Ragtop99‌ mentioned, use your CI from your large on that Woo2 you bought. See you're sharing accessories! :)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    @badinfluence‌ Do you have stock in the XXL??? ;)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌ nope just want someone else on here to buy one other then just me

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Some times things are more of a want and not a need. That being said if you don't really need one any more than the other then pick the one that you want. Only then will you be happy. I have lots of things that I don't really need but I want them nonetheless so I can relate to your dilemma. Or you could bite the bullet and buy both. Never ending dilemma my friend. Good luck and I'm sure that you will be happy with either one. It's a win win in my estimate.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    I have 2 large eggs and have been very satisfied. image
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @midwestsmoker‌ You look like you were so excited you flipped. :D

Nice setup BTW!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @midwestsmoker‌ are those the new reverse flow model eggs.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Love my XL... 

Go big or go home...
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Yes to the XL.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    @midwestsmoker‌ You look like you were so excited you flipped. :D Nice setup BTW!

IKR
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    texaswig said:
    @midwestsmoker‌ are those the new reverse flow model eggs.

You guys are killing me
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I'd say an XL because you have large already....wish I had the cash and need myself.
  • Beefer
    Options

I think I subconsciously cooked too much egg food on Saturday.  Had 4 racks of ribs and 30 ABTs going at once, and I don't have an AR.  Also did 2 loaves of garlic bread.  Kept on saying to my brother this would be a lot easier with another egg!  Maybe I'm justifying my purchase.

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    Go big or go home!
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Now get u a mini.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    I might have gone for an XL if I were buying all at once, but my incremental approach made it more practical to go with first the medium a few years ago, then another large more recently. It's just my wife and me mostly, but occasional family dinners or friends over on the weekends. I love the flexibility of having the three Eggs. Great opportunity to optimize the timing of the vegetables and other side dishes.

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

@Maccool

Very nice looking table

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Congrats on the XL... you will love it.
    I have a smaller CI grate that I sit on the woo2 when I sear. Its small enough to fit down in the egg and grill steaks but not so big that it is difficult to move. However, I do use the heavy duty grate lifter from BGE. Works like a charm for me.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Maybe I am OCD, but I like stuff to match... Personally, I would get a large.  
    I agree with @tarheelmatt. I just added a second large mainly because I wanted two of the same. 

If I had purchased an XL to begin with I would have bought another XL just so it would match. I think I may have OCD, but I want a matching pair. 

I keep hoping if I put them close enough that one day I will go out there and find a mini! 
    @beefer you have a great looking cooking spot. Two thumbs up!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • namealreadytaken
    Options

Gave my daughter & son-in-law our large and replaced w/the xl. I don't see that it uses more charcoal or that the start up time is any different. Wife & I wish we had of bought the XL to be with. To us there is just more flexibility.

• Beefer
    Options

Gave my daughter & son-in-law our large and replaced w/the xl. I don't see that it uses more charcoal or that the start up time is any different. Wife & I wish we had of bought the XL to be with. To us there is just more flexibility.

you're a nice dad.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I keep hoping if I put them close enough that one day I will go out there and find a mini

@johnkitchens‌ - I only have one XL but I am always hoping she can procreate by herself. Lol
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD