Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My 1st Butt Cook (Pic Heavy)

Options
Well I finally got around to cooking a pork butt. I have 2 large eggs, and I had never cooked a butt before. I know it is crazy, but I have now. 

I selected an 8.01 pound bone in boston butt. 

I bought my second large egg a couple of weeks ago, and I had never used it. I decided to go ahead and break it in right. 

I decided for my rub that I would used Bad Byron's Butt Rub. I also used mustard as a bonding agent. So I applied salt, pepper, rub, mustard, and then more rub. For my smoke I decided to use hickory and apple chunks. 

I put my plate setter in and then my drip pan. I did however make a rookie mistake. I forgot to put a spacer between my pan and plate setter! Oh well.

Next time I will use a shorter pan. Even without the spacer the pan was holding the grate up a little bit before I put the butt on. If I had remembered the spacers it would have been even taller. 

I decided for this first one to do a turbo. I didn't want to take the time it would take to do a low and slow. I cooked it at 350 for right at 5 hours. I pulled it off when it was at 203 degrees internal. 

I cooked it fat cap down because I was concerned with it sticking when I took it off. I am glad I did because I could hardly get it up. A lot of the fat cap stayed on the grid. When I was finally able to pick it up it was starting to come apart and the bone was about to fall out. I took that as a good sign. 

I FTC'd for about an hour and a half and then pulled it.

It was very good. It was tender and moist, and it had a great flavor. We made pulled pork sandwiches and applied Blues Hog sauce. My kids loved it!  

The wife and I also enjoyed it. Living in Georgia the only pulled pork any of us had ever had was the kind that we get from all of the local BBQ restaurants in the area. Of course they are pre sauced with a vinegar based sauce. 

It was a lot different than what we are used to, but it was very good. I will be trying it again. I may inject it next time. 

This was the first cook with my new Maverick, and wow what a game changer. Without it I would have been in and out checking to make sure that the temp hadn't gotten away from me. I know it would have been fine once I had it locked in, but I still would have checked. 

With the Maverick I was able to enjoy my day. My son wanted me to watch a movie with him, and I was able to do it without worry! That made the entire cook that much more enjoyable. 

I would like to thank all of you that helped me in my previous post concerning the best way to do this, but I would like to say a big Thank You to @Mickey who has been such a great friend and adviser to me here. He told me this cook would be only slightly harder than cooking hot dogs. I hate to do it, but I am going to disagree with him. I didn't have to flip the butt so I think it was easier! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Great job, John! =D>
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Way to break-in the egg. Excellent job. =D> I like the play by play sequence of pics.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Nice job, thanks for posting.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Way to go John! Looks delicious.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That looks great John, Good job.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! I don't know why I waited so long. I will definitely be doing a lot more of these. My kids loved it. Come to think of it they like everything I cook on the egg! 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Great job!  One hint for next time, put the shoulder in a v-rack, and set that on your grate.  You will see less of the bark sticking to the rack, and it makes it much easier to get off the egg when it is falling apart.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Knock em out John. Nice. And I told you so.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @Acn, and yes @Mickey you did and as usual you were right! 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Congrats on a fantastic looking cook and new egg!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Was it the best meat in town?
  • boboegg
    boboegg Posts: 46
    Options
    Wow!  Your Egg looks mighty clean. You put mine to shame!
    LBGE, Lawrenceville, GA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @saluki2007. @Eggcelsior in my tiny little town we have two grocery stores. I mainly shop at Ingles and they have a big sign above the meat department that says "Best Meat In Town". 

I never noticed that it also said it on the labels as well. 

One day I went in and the "M" was out so the sign then read "Best eat In Town". I thought it was funny. 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    @boboegg. That was my first cook on a new egg. 

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

Looks good for Ga fan. LOL

Go Vols!

:))

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice job! I'll bet that won't be your last butt cook.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    oooOOOooo  look how pretty and white that interior is!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Which goes to show ya...even a DAWG can cook a butt.  :)>-  Looks delish!

Opelika, Alabama
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    About freakin time!!!   :D

Butt is an amazingly easy cook and easily impresses guests.  I use the same setup but place 3 large foil balls (one on top of each plate setter leg) to raise the grid up to felt level.  That allows a bit more space for the drip pan.  Thanks for the post and pics!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    gamason said:

Looks good for Ga fan. LOL

Go Vols!

:))

Which goes to show ya...even a DAWG can cook a butt.  :)>-  Looks delish!
    You guys better watch out! 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What a excellent cook my friend. Solid all around. You did a outstanding job documenting the cook as well. The pics are fantastic. Phenomenal job across the board. I am fond of the blues hog as well. You nailed it my friend . =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options

Nice looking job, and good pics

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Thank you so much guys. I can't wait for my next one. Any ideas on an injection?

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Beautiful. Even if you are a Dawg fan
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌
    Here is a great pork injection that is both simple and very effective.
    2 cups apple juice.
    2 cups apple cider.
    1 cup distilled white vinegar.
    3/4 cup white sugar.
    1/4 cup of salt.
    What it does for the jowl meat should be illegal. It is par excellent to say the least. Hope you enjoy it my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.