Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking?

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
If you're looking, you're not cooking. I always hear from that early in egging but, not so much lately. I look all the time. Doesn't seem to hinder anything.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Same thing here. Look, take pic and it's still cookin. Always wondered about that saying.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If your looking your not drinking your PBR.
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    It seems the more I look the more I cook. I already have a cook "wish list" that's gonna take a long time to get through
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yeah, I think that especially on the egg once the ceramics are heat soaked, taking a peek doesn't change much. And if you are looking for a certain color to set, not much option, unless you can peek in via the top vent.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    :-B
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Yeah I peep through the top. I'll take the daisy wheel off any burn my eyes with smoke.
    Dunedin, FL
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    Sorry everyone I didn't read the original post! Too many shock tops , sorry for the confusion
    -Todd
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    Sorry everyone I didn't read the original post! Too many shock tops , sorry for the confusion
    -Todd
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The saying come into origin on massive off sets that took considerable time to re cooperate from a temp drop. It still holds true to some degree on this type of cooker. On the egg that will recover in less than a minute the saying has very little practical value except on some delicate bread cooks. On meat look all you want and no harm will be incurred at all. Just my thoughts.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I'm a looker, but have improved on just letting things cook. It's not that I'm worried about temp drops by opening the egg, but it's that I've improved greatly on guesstimating time. Outdoor cooking is less stressful with a predictable cooker like the egg. Most things just don't need to be babysat when I already know what's going on. Some foods get looked at a lot and others like pork butts not so much. I do like it when I'm cooking with the DFMT off and get to peek down the hole to see what's going on. It's pretty cool watching pizza bake or cobblers rise.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming