Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Must be doing something wrong

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I either have higher standards than most or was a spectacular Weber grillist, but nothing I've cooked in my first 8 attempts has been as good. I have $1200 of equipment out there and am sick at the thought that I don't like this.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,
    While we sympathize with your feelings of inadequacy, we'd need to know details about what you cooked, how you cooked it, and why you liked it better when you did it on a Weber. Give us details and we'll try to help you....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]1. First did steaks, did it the way they say with 1-2 minutes on each side and close vents. It was not seared nor done in the middle.[p]2. Then did a chicken on a can of pop with wine in it. Didn't even get brown, no taske and was not done 1 1/2 hours later.[p]3. Then did a pizza - got it up to 640 degrees, after I put it in, dropped to 450 and got mediocre results. One of the reasons I was so excited is that this got so much hotter then a normal oven, so I could do pizza like a real pizza oven (as hot as humanly possible).[p]4. Pork roast in the rack. 1 1/2 hours later - no taste and not done again. (When I do things inside, I use a meat thermometer that beeps when it gets to temperature - out of batteries)[p]5. Steaks again. 3 minutes on each side, close vents - raw in the middle again, but better on the outside.[p]So disappointed by the taste, went back to store where he said that the weber grill taste was from the charcoal. That I needed to add wood chips.[p]6. Pork roast again with garlic and onions, olive oil and pepper on outside. Threw on handfull of apple wood chips just before putting meat on. Took almost two hours - not done WAAAYYYYYY too smokey.[p]I am famous for my Weber meals - I am not happy with the EGG
  • Carla Ramsey,
    When you do steaks, you get the grill to where you have nice hot flames coming over the grate, make sure the coals are good and hot also. You sear on each side, then let them sit for a bit. You bring the grill down to 400 or so then put the steaks back on and cook till your desired liking. It sounds like from the other attempts you are not cooking long enough.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,[p]I have one suggestion that may help. How much charcoal are you putting in the egg to start? It needs to be filled up to the top of the firebox. All this underdone food has me thinking that your fire is falling off as you go. [p]How are you judging when the food is ready? Time is not the best way. You need a thermometer.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,
    Like Ray mentioned, it sounds as if you need more fuel. Based on your descriptions of everything being underdone, it sounds like you need more heat all around. If you are not getting enough color, try cooking hotter. Sounds like you could use more heat with every single cook you described.[p]Another thing you could try is to post here before you are about to cook something, and you will get some great ideas from folks here about how to complete that particular cook. You should be able to cook least up to par with what you were cooking on your Weber. Sounds like you are still getting a "feel" for the egg.[p]With the way too smokey pork, try waiting until the smoke thins out to a thin blue stream before putting your meat on. If tan colored smoke bellows out when you open the lid, it is not time yet. [p]Hope it gets better from here!
    Happy New Year
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • drbbq,
    I'm heaping my charcoal chimney, lighting and then pouring it into the EGG. It goes up quickly to 600 degrees or more, I adjust to 350-400, put the meat on and then let it sit. With steaks, the book and video said 1 minute on each side and then close the vents and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. I don't want you to get the idea that I like well done food. My most tried and true meal on the Weber is pork tenderloin - 9 minutes on each side, take off and wrap in tin foil for 15 minutes and it is pink and juicy. I'm really worried that I'm supposed to like smoked meat - I don't. I like grilled meat.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,
    It sounds almost as if you have learned some techniques on the Weber which produced results that you like, but without out understanding what's behind the technique. You are trying to use these same techniques on a new cooker and some of them aren't working for you.[p]1. First did steaks, did it the way they say with 1-2 minutes on each side and close vents. It was not seared nor done in the middle.[p]<font color=blue>How hot was the egg when you seared the steaks? Were flames licking the steaks? How much charcoal did you have? What kind of charcoal did you have? How long did you roast the steaks after the sear? At what temperature?</font>[p]2. Then did a chicken on a can of pop with wine in it. Didn't even get brown, no taske and was not done 1 1/2 hours later.[p]<font color=blue>What temperature were you cooking at? Was that dome temperature or grid temperature? Have you calibrated your dome thermometer? How did you measure "done-ness"? Did you measure the internal temperature of the thighs and breasts? Putting the bird on a can of wine will make it take longer to cook. Did you preheat the cooker or just put the bird in when it got up to some temperature?</font>[p]3. Then did a pizza - got it up to 640 degrees, after I put it in, dropped to 450 and got mediocre results. One of the reasons I was so excited is that this got so much hotter then a normal oven, so I could do pizza like a real pizza oven (as hot as humanly possible).[p]<font color=blue>What type of set up did you use? Plate setter and pizza stone? How long did you let the set up preheat? How much charcoal were you using? </font>[p]4. Pork roast in the rack. 1 1/2 hours later - no taste and not done again. (When I do things inside, I use a meat thermometer that beeps when it gets to temperature - out of batteries)[p]<font color=blue>Again, what temp was the coooker? Dome or grid? How big was the roast? Are you expecting it to be done based on mintues/pound? You need to measure the internal meat temperature.</font>[p]5. Steaks again. 3 minutes on each side, close vents - raw in the middle again, but better on the outside.[p]<font color=blue>Same questions as before. How thick are the steaks? How hot was the roasting portion? How long?</font>[p]So disappointed by the taste, went back to store where he said that the weber grill taste was from the charcoal. That I needed to add wood chips.[p]6. Pork roast again with garlic and onions, olive oil and pepper on outside. Threw on handfull of apple wood chips just before putting meat on. Took almost two hours - not done WAAAYYYYYY too smokey.[p]<font color=blue>If you aren't a big fan of smoke, I wouldn't toss chips on a hot fire just before you put the meat in. I'd mix the chips up in the lump so that they don't all burn at once, or I'd use a chunk and let it smolder on the fire until the thick gray smoke at the beginning turns to a thinner smoke.[p]Again, how big was the roast? What temp? Grid or dome? Calibrated thermometer? How did you determine 2 hours was enough? You need to measure the internal temperature of the meat.</font>[p]Perhaps it would help to take one particular item and look at it in detail to determine what is going wrong, rather than try to solve six different results. Oh, and one other comment, if you are relying on information from the instruction manual, you probably would be better off asking here as the manual is notorious for some pretty bad information. I hope this helps and that we are making progress![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,[p]A Weber Kettle is a fine grill. If you can cook on one you should have no problems with an Egg. Not only is the Egg a grill but can be used as a barbecue, a smoker and as an oven, but each method requires a different set-up. That being said, there are a few differences from a Weber like venting and fire building and control, and some other options to get used to like a raised grate, platesetter etc. [p]First off, were you using lump charcoal? And how full was the fire box?[p]Did you check your dome thermometer for calibration? It seems that you are cooking too cold.[p]How big and what cut of pork roast did you try?[p]With the good advice and support around here, you will be on the right track in no time.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,
    I see your problem. You're not using enough charcoal, and I'm worried that you are using briquettes and not lump. One ch9imney full of lump charcoal is not near enough to fill the firebox unless you have a small.[p]Get some lump charcoal if you're not using it already. If you are using lump then fill your firebox up and light the lump in the Egg using a parafin starter, electric starter or a torch of some variety.[p]If you're going for a solid sear on a steak then let the coals get glowing red across the surface and try to stabilize the temperature around 650° to 700°. Once you reach this point you can then sear and let it dwell or pull it off and let it rest while the Egg cools and then go back on for a roast as was described below.[p]Don't give up just yet, if you get the hang of things you will be amazed at how good the food is.[p]

• Bobby-Q,
    I have a large one (EGG and am using the EGG charcoal. What do you mean fill the firebox? How close is your charcoal below the grill itself?

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,
    The inside of your egg has 4 pieces, the firebox, the grate, the fire ring and your cooking grid/grate. the firebox it the bowl shaped thing in the bottom of the egg with the grate in the bottom of it. The fire ring is the 4" ring that sits on top of the firebox and your cooking grid sits on top of that. When you fill the egg for cooking fill the firebox to the top, about 4 inches below the cooking surface. there is a great expanded view of the egg here:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#bgebuilt[p]In fact I would suggest you browse around that site it is loaded with helpfull info and tips[p]Drivr

[ul][li]the Whiz's site[/ul]
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Carla, the firebox is the rounded ceramic piece in the bottom of your egg. It has a ceramic fire ring sitting on top of it that supports your cooking grate. Fill your egg with lump charcoal up to the fire ring and light it in several places. Ignore the useless video and use your Weber grilling skills and experience. Build upon them and you will come to love your BGE. You might consider getting yourself a Thermapen to measure doneness. The cooking times in the video are way off. http://www.thermoworks.com/
  • drbbq
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,[p]It sounds like you're running out of charcoal.
    The concept is to fill the firebox(lower bowl) and light it. I use the little squares made of parafin and sawdust. Then control the growth of the fire by how much oxygen you allow through the top and bottom vent. The more air you give it, the hotter it will get. [p]Shut all the vents when you're done and whatever charcoal you didn't use will be there for next time. It's just different than what you're used to, you won't need the chimney with the egg. [p]Be careful when cooking at 6-700, that is a very hot fire and can create a flashback if you open the grill lid too fast, or at the very least melt a little arm hair. I'd try something a little mellower first.
    Pork tenderloin is a great choice and you should be able to get similar times as those on your weber. Level off at about 400 and put them on.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,
    It's almost impossible to put too much lump in an Egg. I mean you could get crazy and fill it up to the cooking grid, it would still work but it would be extreme. [p]Just fill it up to where the firebox and ring meet and you'll be fine. You can also spend a little time just adjusting the temperatures and see how small changes to the draft door and damper top effect the temperature changes. I'm guessing you had a lot of years of experience on your metal cooker so give the Egg a couple of hours of your time to get to know it and I'm sure it will reward you.[p]Let us know how your next cook turns out.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,
    TIP #1[p]throw out the manual. you are better off without it.[p]TIP #2
    ask here or snoop the archives for the different tips on the cooks you have been doing.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,
    When experienced eggers hear of someone who is having trouble with the egg, they are really disappointd, just as the one having trouble must be. Most would not trade their eggs for any regular grill.[p]It does take a little practice though.[p]I think most of the advice you have received here is very good and I will not repeat that.[p]If you are taking meat up and find most of it raw in the center, I would suggest a thermometer for measuring the internal temperature of the meat.[p]I have been using a "Maveric" remote thermometer which allows you to monitor the internal temperature from some distance from the egg.[p]I find that an internal temperature of steaks at 140 degrees are medium rare and that is the way I like them.[p]Desired internal temperature varies with the type of cook you are doing. A low and slow cook at around 225 to 250 degrees for pulled pork or beef to my liking is finished at about 190 degrees internal. Then allow to rest and pull (shred) it. - Great sandwiches.[p]Best wishes. I hope you get to like your egg and I feel certain you will, if you spend a little time thinking about how you are going to do each cook.[p]Kyle

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,
    You've jumped in and bless your heart for being aggressive on something new but, (knew that was coming didn't you?) the advice below is some of the best you can get. There's one thing I recommend every time for newbies and that is take a few minutes here on the forum and also take a few minutes and go throught the FAQ's. Next build a fire filling the Egg ti at least the bottom of the fire ring. Plave a small square of the firestarter in the center and on top of the lump. Light it open the lower vent and leave the daisy wheel off. As the temp on your dome thermometer begins to climb pick a target temp like 400º and start closing the bottom vent in small increments, Whith each increment you close it WAIT! You'll see the dial slow a little. You want to try to "meet" the 400º target if you over shoot it's hard to get it back down in the beginning but as you prefect your fire control technique you'll get really good and meeting the target temp. ONce you have mastered temp control life gets very easy. Take your time. Come back to the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions. While you may have been a great Weber cook this does take a little bit of a learning curve. Stick with it and in a few months you'll be in here giving advice to the newbies too. Welcome to the Cult . . . hehehehe

• Carla Ramsey, Pizza, Lump Charcoal. As the others have said it sounds like you are not using enough lump. The video I watched made it look like you just started the fire a presto your egg was hot enough too cook with in no time flat. What I have found is it takes some time to get the egg to a constant temp. Yes you can bring it up to 650 fairly quickly, but if you feel the bottom half of the egg it is still cool to the touch. So when you open the lid the tempurature reacts to the cooler air and the fact that the body of the egg is still not hot. [p]When I do pizza I use lots of charcoal almost up to the top of the fire ring (the ceramic dough nut that sits on top of the fire box) Then I make my pizza dough. which has to rise for about an hour. While the dough is rising I keep an eye on the temp When it gets to 500 I cut the draft down a little and close the daisy wheel on top a little. This is usually about a half hour after I have made my dough. If the temp starts to drop I open things up again. After about 45 minutes the bottom of the egg should be hot to the touch. I then get the egg to be stable at 500. [p]I then work my pizza dough into two balls of dough and let them sit for 15 minutes. During this 15 minutes I open the draft wide and take the daisy wheel of the top. The egg will get to about 600-625 by the time I have my first pizza made. [p]I then put the first pizza on the pizza stone. Put the daisy wheel back on with the vents open. The egg temp will drop to about 475-500, but the stone will be hot and the body of the egg will be hot and the pizza will cook. About 10 minutes. [p]When I take the pizza off I open the daisy wheel, by the time I have eaten some pizza and made my second one the egg temp will be back up. [p]Pizza does eat up charcoal. You will probably crack your fire box-that is no problem look at the Naked Whiz's web sight about cracked fire boxes. It took me about 8 trys to get the pizza to the point where I like it, but I am there now and there is nothing like it. I even cook them in the winter in vermont 5 below zero.[p]Bottom line give the egg some time. Read the forum the peopole on it are very helpful. I suppose you do not need smoke for pulled pork. Even further down the bottom line, if you still don't like the egg one of us will buy it from you. [p]Good luck FF

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Carla Ramsey, what area do you live in. I'm sure there are some of us can share the process live in front of you. Its a strange learning curve, not like anything else. Get rid of the tape and book, they are a distraction.

• Banker John
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,
    I really feel for you Carla. I have experienced some of the dissapointments and frustrations you may be feeling. Some of the things I learned to help me are:[p]1) Learn the corresponding vent openings to their temperatures. [p]2) Let the egg stabilize at temperature before placing your item on the grill. First, this allows the ceramics to 'come to temperature' which makes for a more brick oven effect. Second, I too do not like too much smoke and this temperature stabilization allows for the V.O.C.'s to burn off and limit the amount of smoke flavor in the food.[p]3) How to build a fire. See The Naked Whiz's site... link on onother post.[p]4) Read up on flash back. This is SERIOUS and can be EXTREMELY Dangerous! This too can be found on TNW's site.[p]5) I, too, used to cook based on time. I had mediocre success at best with this method. Then, I was introduced to a Thermapen Instant Read Thermometer. Now, my internal meat temperatures are deadly accurate and since the purchase and subsequent use, I have NOT had a dissapointing meal.[p]Be patient and stick with it. You have a family here to help. I would strongly suggest attending an Eggfest near you; there are several across the country. An eggfest will allow you to see in person some of the techniques discussed here and meet many of the fine folks that are here to help.[p]Banker John

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Carla Ramsey, One more thing, for reference, when the fire has started and the temp starts to rise as it reaches 350 witout a top and the bottom vent wide open, you can put the daisy wheel on the top with just the small vents open, at this point it should maintain 350 dome temp with the bottom vent still wide open. Close the bottom vent to a 1/4 inch and this would be the setting for 250 dome temp as it reaches 250.

• tach18k,
    I live in Rockford, Illinois[p]I'll keep trying. One person told me that I should not be starting the fire in the chimney - wasting charcoal - that I should be controlling the temperature on the way up.[p]I am still confused if all of you use woodchips and this stuff about backflash freaks me a little...

• drbbq
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,[p]Rockford huh?
    One of my many old stomping grounds.
    I assume you bought your Egg at Benson Stone. Go there and talk to Paul in the cafe. He's a good BGE cook and will lead you in the right direction. Tell him that Dr. BBQ has offered his help to you. Try to go in the afternoon when he has a little time and he will get you on track. You might try the pot roast sandwich too. It's really good.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Carla Ramsey,
    use chips when you want to add smoke. there's some smoke from the lump, but chips add more.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • drbbq,
    My God - do any of you have any hair left on your hands?[p]Did what you guys said - filling the firebox and letting it "warm" up for 20 minutes. It was off the charts hot - literally past the hottest mark as far as the thermometer went. I cracked open and then opened with flames shooting out. Put the steaks on. Three minutes of searing on each side, then took it off and just a slit open on both top and bottom, hoping it would go down in temp to 400 - impatient, it went down to 600 and I put them back on for 5 minutes. Tasted good, but still raw in the middle. How is that possible - it was an inferno!!!