Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting Peppers Help!!

Options
Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any experience roasting/smoking jalapeno peppers to make chipotles???I saw one set of instructions which called for smoking the peppers to up to 48 hours!! Any help with dome temp, length of time, wood type, etc. would be appreciated. Chipotles are roasted/smoked jalapenos.

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Doug,[p]I do these from time to time and it's easy. First of all, you really won't be able to make true authentic chipotle (if that matters) which calls for red jalapenos smoked for 24+ hours in a pit using pimento wood.[p]Pick up the biggest plumpest peppers you can find, if green, that's cool. I do them at 225* using clean lump and some applewood chips for flavor. After 5 or 6 hours, simply shut your Egg down and leave the peppers in until morning. You should find them shriveled, brownish black and fully dried.
    They will also be magnitudes hotter than the raw peppers you started with if you left the seed in.[p]Try a small test batch next time you've got your Egg going. Store them in a zip loc bag or a 50/50 mix of catsup and cider vinegar (KennyGs poor mans adobo sauce). Authentic - No but see what you think.[p]K~G
    The real experts will chime in now

• Doug, I just did some (first time) and they turned out nice. I kept the temp. down around 150 - 175 as much as I could and used apple smoke. I'm not sure how long I left them on, about 4 hrs. I think. I cut them in half lenghtwise and seeded them first. I minced 4 halves and added them to a bottle of Heinz ketchup, and I'll be doing it again- nice.
    Gord

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Doug,[p]I did this last year. In fact doing this was what helped me find the forum![p]What I did was to smoke them at about 200* until they were brittle. Then I ground them into a powder. As I remember, this took close to 12 hours.[p]Fritz
  • I've been buying powdered chipotle and ancho from Wild Oats store because growing peppers is not productive for me (I do a great job growing tomatoes). See the link below for the company that supplies to Wild Oats......very good products.

[ul][li]Los Chileros de Nuevo Mexico[/ul]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    KennyG,
    I was given some pimento (allspice) wood for Christmas! I'm not sure what I'm saving it for. EGGtoberfest? JCA