Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza question

Options
Do you all use cornmeal on your stone?  If the stone is hot enough you shouldn't need it right?
Blue Ridge, GA

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Yes, a light dusting. Just enough so not to stick.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I usually use fresh crust that I've rolled myself, so I usually cook pizzas on a parchment. Cornmeal probably not necessary in that event,  but even so, I always throw a little cornmeal on the stone.

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    I always do,don't know if nessacary but i do.
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    Put the cornmeal on your peel, then lay the pizza dough on top of the cornmeal on the peel, and dress out your pizza.  Be careful not to press the dough down onto the peel anymore than necessary when building the pizza.  Also, don't build it and let it sit on the peel for a long time either.  The dough will pick up enough cornmeal off of the peel to prevent it from sticking on the stone.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You do not need anything on the stone.  Cornmeal, semolina, parchment etc is used to slide the pizza off the peel. The dough will stick when first hitting the stone, so aim carefully. Once the dough cooks it will release from the stone.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    No cornmeal for me. I either use flour or parchment paper. Most of the time it is parchment paper.

Options
    NOTHING on the stone, ever. Semolina, cornmeal or even flour on the peel only. Build the pie on the peel and shake the peel after adding each topping to prevent sticking.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Many ways to skin a cat. I do what works best for my particular workflow, which has evolved over 8 years to the point where I can make a perfect pizza on the Egg every time...at least one that satisfies me and (so far) everyone I've ever cooked for.
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited August 2014
    Options
    No cornmeal, ever.  Makes a heck of a mess (ask me how I know..it took us years to quit using it and find a better way..)

We always parbake the dough - 2 min at 450 in the oven, THEN put toppings on.

I use a combo of GP Flour and Semolina to help "spin" / stretch out the dough on a baking mat that I have..once it's in (roughly) a circle shape the size I want, I transfer to parchament paper and onto a peel..paper and dough both go onto the pre-heated pizza stone in the oven for 2 min..remove, and put on sauce, cheese and toppings.

Parchament and prepared pizza then go onto the KJ (errr.."Black LBGE") :) which has been heating a Old Stone Oven pizza stone for 30+ min at 500 or so.  Remove parchament at ~5 min in..last 5 min directly on stone.

Makes for awesome pies.  Of course, it REALLY helps if you can make your own dough (I do with 00 flour and 25% freshly ground whole wheat..)

We just did this last night and the pizza was amazing..I think after 20+ years of trying, I've finally figured out a recipe and a way that works - at least for us.  It takes me two hours to make, but I'd rather do that than spend < 60 seconds calling the local pizza joint.  (As I tell my wife.."you can't buy pizza this good - anywhere").
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Why use a stone?
    Sweet!

But, I think a stone helps pull moisture from the dough (if I'm not mistaken).

Still, that pie looks awesome!
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Never cornmeal. Parchment paper works fantastic.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    If you put your crust on parchment before cooking, slide it (pizza on parchment) onto the stone and off when done, there's no need for corn meal anywhere.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No. Parchment then pull after a minute or so.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    what NPHuskerFL said - pull the parchment after the bottom of the pie sets
  • THEBuckeye
    Options

To clarify, I use a bit of cornmeal on the wooden pizza peel when I roll out the dough and dress the pie. Then, simply transfer to a hot stone. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I put cornmeal on my parchment, then I pull the parchment after a couple of minutes on the stone.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• THEBuckeye
    Options

But I posted the wrong pic from an early pizza...

with PARCHMENT
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    +1 on parchment paper and pull it after a couple minutes
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
    I use corn meal on the peel and the stone.   Doesnt make a mess for me and guarantees that it won't stick.  Don't see why this should be a problem for anyone.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Corn meal yes.
    Seattle, WA
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Pizza screen for me, I just build the pie on the screen then take and place the screen on a 500 degree stone for 5 minutes than remove the screen finishing the pizza right on the stone until finished.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE