Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kentucky Bourbon Tour

Options
We do a yearly trip to missouri duck hunting. We are stopping in Lexington for the Kentucky bourbon tour this year. Has anyone ever done this? If so any suggestions?

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    That sounds awesome. Look forward to some pics.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Living in  the area for around 16 years but have not done the "tour".  Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve  and Maker's Mark are all good times.  Heard that Wild Turkey and Four Roses are worth the visit, as well.  No pearls of wisdom but any bourbon visit has to be entertaining.  Now in this part of the world Sundays may crimp your style-please check ahead and enjoy the adventure.  Sorry I can't offer more.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looking forward to your continued post. Sounds like something we would really enjoy as well. Pace yourself for sure.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Did the Maker's Mark tour years ago.  We were late for the official tour, so the head distiller gave a private tour.  Got to dip our own bottle in the red wax.... pretty cool thing to do, especially since I was underage; but still got to keep the bottle.

Not sure if they do tours or not, but I have family (don't talk to them much) that run Old Forester Bourbon in Louisville.  My grandmother was a Forester.....  I still drink it!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @DaveRichardson-Old Forester is one of the originals-and it is the  bourbon that was the business model behind Woodford Reserve.  May have to get a bit closer to the relatives.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Oh we see them from time to time....  Brought home a barrel a few years back.  That was an experience!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• w_ky
    w_ky Posts: 9
    Options
    Born and raised just outside bardstown ky (bourbon capital of the world) I recommend the makers mark tour. That is about 25 minutes from where I grew up. Id recommend a drive from Versailles to midway ky. One of prettiest drives there is. Too bad it's not fall as that's when it's prettiest
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Wow Bardstown!
    Also the home of JTS Brown (remember Paul Newman's The Hustler?) Bourbon.
    Good stuff.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm visiting Woodford as we speak
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    I was there last week. I've made it pretty much an annual trip. Makers is fun, but it'd be a healthy distance to drive from Lexington. I'd go to buffalo trace ( hard hat tour) for sure. Four roses is my favorite bourbon so I never miss it. It isn't too far. From there you can head to wild turkey on your way to woodford reserve. If you want to head west to bardstown there are some great spots, but as long as you're in Lexington I'd plan on the closer distilleries. Have fun!