Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEED HELP - smoke from the egg

Options
I am trying to get my egg to temperature (350), am almost there, but there is still smoke coming out of the top and it smells pretty strong.  if I keep letting it burn (before putting food on), should this just naturally go away?  Anything in particular cause this?  Thanks.

Comments

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    It should go away after a while. Let us know what lump you are using as it could be one that puts out more smoke.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    There are several things that can cause white acrid smoke. Here are a few. Grease build up, lack of oxygen, suffocation, excessive moisture in the fuel supply, poor quality lump. These are just a few of many. At any rate wait until you egg is burning clean and your results will be much better. White smoke is not your friend. Especially on a air tight cooker like the egg.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Absent any scientific proofs..."The nose knows!"  When it smells good it is good-and you can get to  temperature much quicker than you will get "clean smoke".  Wait for the right smoke or your food will be less than desirable.  Patience is the watchword :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    It is Frontier Brand lump charcoal.  Got it at BJ's Wholesale Club, no idea if it is good or not... Could it be a sign I need to clean out the ash at the bottom?  The smoke is now gone but still a faint smell of it when i put my hand above the top vent -- will let it keep burning for now... Thanks for your help, this is only my 4th time using my BGE.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Once you hit 350 lock the egg in and hold it there. It should clear up in 10 or so minutes.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @GreenWave36-welcome aboard and you will sort this out quickly.  Enjoy the journey regardless.  BTW-here's about the best ceramics cook site going and he does a lump charcoal review as well:
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    The Naked Whiz gives this product and Average rating. Check it out at there site.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. You're egg is defective! I'll be by to pick it up. PM me the address to pick up said defective BGE. >:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    i let it burn for two hours... the white smoke disappeared but there was still a pretty funky smell coming from the grill... so i aborted tonight's cook.  I am going to try again tomorrow, but what do you all recommend I do?  Replace all the charcoal and clean the grill?  Anything else?

One more question -- when using the platesetter for indirect cooking, when is the best time to put that on?  One the fire is lit?
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    New lump sounds like a god call.  I put on my indirect rig once fire is established and bad smoke is gone.  I'll toss in my smoking woods and put the rig on and add the proteins!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• iPaddler
    iPaddler Posts: 14
    Options
    I too struggled with this issue and resolved it by leaving the DW off and the vent wide open until the Egg is at 600 or more. At that point I clean the grill and close up the vents, add the DW (wide open) until the temp DROPS to 350 or 400 or whatever. No VOC taste and perfect protein every time. This process is much more effective with liberal application of appropriate libation.
    Ontario, Canada. XL BGE, Napoleon Gasser
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    +1 on trying a different brand of lump.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    I'm with the try a different lump crowd! What method are you using to lite your lump?
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin