Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slightly too smokey but darn good

Options
victor1
victor1 Posts: 225
I did my first BB Ribs today and they were pretty darned good.  Moist, tender but slightly too smokey.  Neither my rub nor sauce had any smoke in it so am not sure what to look for.  Did them for about four hours, Two hours indirect, another two the same with foil and apple juice.  Then removed the PS and went  direct for a short blast to caramelize the sauce etc.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Did you wait for the smoke to burn clear before you put them on?
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Depending on the lump used, low and slows can get quite smokey. Mesquite is very strong when used for a low temp cook. Make sure the VOCs are gone before you throw the meat on. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    What kind of wood did you use?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    If you weren't burping and farting mesquite for 3 days, then they weren't as smoky as the first time I had smoked ribs from a Kamodo style smoker.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Like jhl192 said, don't put 'em on until the white smoke goes away.  Also, take a whiff of the smoke when you think you're ready to throw meat on, if it smells good, meat will taste good.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    As above-what lump did you use and did you add any smoke wood and if so, what type?  Different brands of lump (produced from hardwoods) will impart different smoke flavors across the spectrum-from neutral to quite heavy.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.