Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket 911

Options
I put on a brisket last night and settled into the ritual of enjoying a cold beverage and a cigar while letting the Egg and the Guru do its thing. All was seemingly well when I turned in just after midnight.

This morning a little after 0700 I wander outside and I'm greeted by the sound of the alarm on the Guru. Pit temp down to 120. Food temp in the 130 range... lower than when I left it last night. Upon investigation I see that while placing the Guru inside a the plastic bag I used to keep it from the night moisture I must've pulled the blower loose.

I pulled everything off, added some new hot coals and am now just hoping for the best, but also wondering if it might be a lost cause. Any suggestions??

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Just get it back to temp and let it roll. This has happened several times and nobody has died yet. ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Food safety police say- - -> "Start with a new piece of meat. "
    Seven hours with maybe four or more of those hours in the danger zone is not good.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 with what @cazzy said. Just don't tell the guest.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I'd keep going, you're going to take it back up to 190-200F. It will be above 165F for quite some time.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    There's always one. ;)

He went to bed at midnight with the egg at his target temp. With the egg being efficient, it likely held that for a few hours before it started dropping. I've seen this scenario countless times. I only recall 1 or 2 tossing and none of the others reported any problems. Some of them don't post anymore, so I just figured they found a new forum. :))
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options

Food safety police say- - -> "Start with a new piece of meat. "
    Seven hours with maybe four or more of those hours in the danger zone is not good.

Food safety police :-q @Dan in StL‌ don't waste a good piece of meat. It's all good.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    If it were me, I'd keep going.  It's a brisket.  If it were ground beef then the potential risk of a high bacterial load would be a concern.  If you were cooking something with a lower target temp that could also be a concern.  But the meat will spend A LOT of time over 140 which will kill anything. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I'd roll with it. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options

Thanks all.  I'm forging ahead - hopefully to an outcome that includes neither dysentery nor shoe leather.