Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit Controllers...

I'm in the market for one now.. I've got a big cook coming up in a few weeks for my kids birthday and will end up having to do an overnight cook. I'm not really interested in waking up periodically like I have in the past to check, or have to tweak it around and dial it in all night before I go down.

I have a large, and I do a fair bit of L&S cooks, but usually do some smaller butts and briskets that I don't have to do overnight, just early morning and done mid evenings.

With that said- I'm not sure how extreme I need to go, but willing to spend the money if it's worthwhile.

I like the idea of the cyberQ. Would be nice to control/check on it via my phone or ipad. Would be nice on the weekends to check on it while playing golf, or out running errands if need be. However, the price is probably at the top end of what I want to spend at the moment.

Then theres the regular DigiQ DX.. same thing minus the ability to check it via phone/tablet, right?

PartyQ is pretty interesting. No food probes, which isn't a huge, huge deal. I have a thermapen, and would normally be around when I assume the meat is close to finished, so I can check that if need be. I like that it's battery operated so I don't have to plug anything in, which isn't a huge deal regardless..

Each is about $100 inbetween them... which ones is probably the best buy? I'm mainly looking for something to just keep the BGE at a temp I set it at, and control the fire.
-FATC1TY
Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
LBGE
MiniMax

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    edited August 2014
    I have the CyberQ and no regrets. Holds temperature perfectly and monitors everything and controlled from my Ipad. I want the food probes and convenience of not having to go to the egg to see whats going on.
    The Stoker is another quality controller also and @NPHuskerFL can give you the dope on it.

Buy once cry once, buy cheap and keep buying or wanting.
    Jacksonville FL
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

I have the DigiQ DX and love it, but if I had to do it over again, I'd get the CyberQ for sure.  I'm a big computer geek and would love to control it remotely and check out all the other stuff it keeps track of.  No way would I'd consider the partyQ, if I remember correctly, that one only runs on batteries.  To me the batteries running out is a disaster waiting to happen.  And really, when are you ever not near an outlet?
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    I'm looking for an upgrade over the Auber, but it sounds like the CyberQ isn't quite up to speed in terms of technology with it's user interface and some folks reporting network problems.  Once they get it a little more spiffed up, I'll probably buy one.

Right now, the Auber works great and it also has the interface issues, but it was also something like $130.

If these folks could sell millions of them, the price point would be a whole lot cheaper.  The technology isn't that complicated, but the target audience is relatively small.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    See, with a little research, I've seen people complaining about some interface issues with the wifi version.

I'm just trying to justify the $100+ for the ability to look at it remotely.. Not a huge deal the more I think about it this afternoon, was just curious if it had more options or better function than the DX2.

-FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I have the PartyQ and rigged an AC adapter for it. If I was going to spend more $$ on one it would be the Stoker from Rocks BBQ.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Do you want to be able to check the progress from your nightstand by glancing at your pad or phone? I use my CyberQ in Ad Hock mode and its been good. I haven't had it long but my experience has been good.
    Jacksonville FL
  • FATC1TY
    Why the Stoker? It looks like a rather large unit to me. Only a few bucks cheaper than the CyberQ as well?

Do you like your PartyQ? I've not tossed that off the table. I don't mind batteries, would enable me to move the egg to the other end of the patio without worrying about a cord.

I DO kind of like the idea of knowing where the food is temp wise, so I can look and plan accordingly, but it's not a must. I've been smokin' for a while now, and have a good idea on how long things take.

I just want a consistent pit temp, at low temps like 225-250, without worry of it going out, creeping up, or doing something stupid while I'm not out there drinking beer and checking on it periodically.

I'm already chasing twins around the house on the weekends alone, being able to cook at night, and let it ride low and slow during the day when they are up is ideal!
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yes, I like the PartyQ. I already had a Maverick to monitor temps. The Stoker has more options for multiple pits, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • FATC1TY
    I won't have the need for multiple pits, so thats not something for me to consider...

How long are people seeing on battery usage for the PartyQ?
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Don't forget the Pitmaster 110, 120, plus the FlameBoss.  BBQ Guru makes some good stuff, but they're not the only game in town anymore.

Sending you my phone number through PM.......gimmie a call.  I'll walk you through all the pros and cons.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    IMHO cyber is overkill for your stated use. If you have a two probe thermo currently, I would add the party q, if not the DX is plenty of control for your cooks.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited August 2014
    I think knowing IT is paramount.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    If you're a person that has to have the latest, hottest whiz giz, wow factor look into the Stoker or the CyberQ.  But be aware that depending on the rest of your computer system and your computer WIFI skills they might be a bit** to get running properly, and will very likely to be superseded by something newer and better in a short while.  Many connection issues seem to be talked about on this and other forums.  If you want to control the temp on your Egg while sleeping or away from the house but don't plan on making remote adjustments get a DigiQ, Flame Boss or other standard controller and rest assured your cooks will work just fine.  In many cases simpler is better.
    I have a Flame Boss and it does what I want, but I admit when I am doing multiple prep jobs for other dishes in the house I use a Maverick to let me know when the meat is close to done and may need some attention.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    edited August 2014

Don't forget the Pitmaster 110, 120, plus the FlameBoss.  BBQ Guru makes some good stuff, but they're not the only game in town anymore.

Sending you my phone number through PM.......gimmie a call.  I'll walk you through all the pros and cons.

Need to put something like this on a document for the group.

And @stlcharcoal‌, got my first bag of Rockwood this past week. It'll go down on a butt really soon!!! I can't wait!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I would get it from @stlcharcoal.  He is a pleasure to deal with and you aren't going to find better prices.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    If you're a person that has to have the latest, hottest whiz giz, wow factor look into the Stoker or the CyberQ.  But be aware that depending on the rest of your computer system and your computer WIFI skills they might be a bit** to get running properly, and will very likely to be superseded by something newer and better in a short while.  Many connection issues seem to be talked about on this and other forums.  If you want to control the temp on your Egg while sleeping or away from the house but don't plan on making remote adjustments get a DigiQ, Flame Boss or other standard controller and rest assured your cooks will work just fine.  In many cases simpler is better.
    I have a Flame Boss and it does what I want, but I admit when I am doing multiple prep jobs for other dishes in the house I use a Maverick to let me know when the meat is close to done and may need some attention.

that is precisely why I mentioned the party q with the remote thermo option. I don't use that set up, but I think it is a good one.
  • Jherrod
    Jherrod Posts: 9
    I have the stoker did take a bit to set up but worth it if you need any help I'm here
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited August 2014
    I have only used the Stoker and I love it. I have had it for a few years and when I bought the Stoker, I was not even thinking about viewing and setting the temp remotely.......it did not take me long to figure out that other than controlling the temp, the remote feature for me is very useful......the Egg is a long term investment and I feel the same about my Stoker......my suggestion is to get what you think is the best and don't look back.......for me, that would be the Stoker.......the Stoker has it all
  • I have the partyq and the battery life is pretty good. I'd guess that I get >20 hours on each set of batteries. But it depends on how you use it. At first I was wasting batteries by hooking it up right at the beginning and then it runs and runs. Now I wait till the egg gets close to where I want it before putting it on. I have a maverick and use that to monitor food.
  • TomRaz
    TomRaz Posts: 22
    I bought a Stoker a couple of months ago, it was very easy to setup and works great. you can plug any probe or blower into any of the 6 standard inputs.

The blower also has a damper door that closes when the blower is off. The application selection is far better on the Stoker and work for Android and iOS.

I looked at many of the same units your looking at, called many of the companies and Stoker was my decision.

Also with the Stoker you can expand the ports if needed and also purchase an K-Series Thermal Couple adapter from then and then purchase any standard K-series Thermal Couple capable probe.

Good luck on your decision
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I looked at them all. I love gadgets and techie stuff, but I settled on the pitmaster iq110. I have an outlet nearby and a roof over the egg. It is so easy and works great. Set it, forget it. Only thing I occasionally need to tweak is the damper. There is no need to check it on your iGizmo, it just works.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Stoker. Simple set-up, expandable for multiple eggs and/or probes, reliable. The investment is this unit was worth the money.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I have the DigiQ DX2. It maintains the temp and displays the meat temp which is all I need now.