Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for the Bread Bakers

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do I add bran to the dough recipes that don't have it?
Thanks.

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    kk,[p]It isn't too difficult to do. The most important thing is to pay attention to dough hydration. The following are rules of thumb, not gospel.[p]When you add a whole grain, consider soaking overnight - equal amount of grain and water. The grain will soak up the water overnight. If you don't have time, or forgot to plan ahead, you can use equal amounts of grain and water and bring to a boil. You will want the water to cool down to about 90F; and remember that you'll end up with about 1/2 the amount of water that you started with and you have to take into account the impact on the overall dough hydration. So for example, if you started with 1/2 cup of grain and 1/2 cup water, you'll end up with about 1/4 cup of water after boiling and cooling to 90F. You'll want to subtract 1/4 cup of liquid from the original forumla as you make the dough.[p]Remember, these are rules of thumb. Have fun![p]Puj
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    kk,
    I have not used bran in my bread but I believe you can subsitute 20% bread flour for bran, flax seed, or rye flour and have good results with yeasted breads. I kneed by hand and add bread flour a little at a time untill a good, smooth dough is achieved with proper moistness. Addition of sweetner such as brown sugar, molasses or honey to the bread recipe can accommodate the slightly bitter, nut taste of bran.
    Post a picture if you can.
    Good luck!
    Clay

• Thanks!
    I didn't know to consider the hydration and had no idea what was reasonable to add. Will let you know...

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    kk,
    You have gotten solid advice fromt he guys below.[p]Let us know how your results turn out.

• kk,
    You may also consider grinding your own flour using Hard White wheat. The bran is the shell coating of the wheat kernel. Grinding fresh will provide the best nutrition (enriched means nutrients have been stripped away then only a few are added back).[p]Grinding your own will solve all of your constipation issues, too![p]Banker John