Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Wildlife Issues, Advice?

So I know I'm from Dirty Jersey and all, but I do live in the woods. We have lots of wildlife like bears and whatnot. Last time I cooked overnight I walked out to a fox hanging around. He was as surprised as I was. Don't blame him, I'm never up, let alone outside that early.

Has anyone ever had wildlife screw with their cook?

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Calling @nolaegghed - master of dealing with racoons. 

The only wild life I contend with is the 175# St Bernard lying beside the egg...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Ha. I came here to make the same comment.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Yeah, the pack tends to sit and stare at the egg while it does it's job, lol.
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    I'm so far back in the woods. I'll often have as many as 10 deer hanging around while I cook outside. Then, after I go in for the night, I'll have a whole band of coons come investigate what's left after the cook. I live with it and be glad I don't live in a damn city.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    No advice with the wildlife and related critters and a cook in action, although I did have a possum (or a side kick) chew a sizable hunk out of a fire brick this past winter as foraging was not yielding much.  And another (species tbd) feasted on rubber gloves. Desperate times and desperate measures.  Reinforces the basic fundamental to survive.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I usually egg like this
    If that doesn't work I have my guard dog...image
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    We've had bears, raccoons, opossums, gators, snakes, armadillo, cougars, fox, wolves, deer, etc. None have disturbed us or our egging. I have removed some armadillos and raccoons only because they were destroying our yard. Other than that I leave em alone. Poisonous snakes if seen are neutralized.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hey, guess what doesn't matter anymore…

Went to the state fair today. On my way home I stopped and bought a boston butt.  Carried my daughter into the house and set the bag down on the kitchen counter.  Went upstairs to put my daughter down for a nap.  When I came down stairs my wife was cleaning, groceries put away…so I thought.

Just went into the fridge to season the pork…Hey hon, where'd you put the roast?  What roast……?

Found it in the garage, where my wife threw out the kitchen trash bag, after she cleared off the counter.  I wonder what she thought I was gonna cook?

Well at least I have my egg ready for my next cook.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Too funny-and sadly I can relate!  Maybe you get some points...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I would have points...but she blamed me for leaving it out.

If she didn't buy me the egg, after I told he not to( only because I didn't want to take responsibility for the purchase), if be upset.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    What did the fox say?
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Some critter must have been darned hungry to eat a small section of my BGE cover.  I think it was a raccoon as we do live near a creek and get some footprints on the deck from time to time.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • I've had the unfortunate experience of a bed of red ants /fire ants setting up near my egg. After several hours on a long smoke, and several beverages, I managed to disturb them and they DESTROYED my legs!

Easier to get rid of them than all y'all's animals, but still a PITA!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited August 2014
    DaveRichardson
    What, no weed burner?
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I've had the unfortunate experience of a bed of red ants /fire ants setting up near my egg. After several hours on a long smoke, and several beverages, I managed to disturb them and they DESTROYED my legs! Easier to get rid of them than all y'all's animals, but still a PITA!
    Ouch!!!
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• DaveRichardson
    What, no weed burner?
    No weed burner here.  I use my grandfather's Zippo from WW2 and EVOO'd paper towels to light.

The ants did meet with a death that involved fire and plenty of lighter fluid..... Now, what to put down on the ground where the grass WAS!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!