Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on using Egg inside screened in patio

I'm considering moving my egg inside my screened in patio. I saw a friend use his this way. What are your thoughts? I face ceramic tile flooring so no fire risk.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I'd be really afraid of embers going up into the ceiling--is it solid or soffit?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    I would be concerned with the smoke not dissipating.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Getting the smoke vented from the structure would be my concern.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    +1 on the smoke concern
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    I bought a small Weber that sits on a table on my screened in porch for rainy days - the only problem is, as noted, the smoke accumulation - but I have a ceiling fan on my porch and with it going, it's really not a problem - might want to use some sort of fan to dissipate the smoke while you're using it - otherwise, I don't see a problem
  • GaDadx3
    GaDadx3 Posts: 41
    We are in the process of adding a screened in porch and I intend to have my LGBE on it. I will have a flame resistant matt it will be on and we will have a ceiling fan I can reverse direction to pull any smoke out.
    LBGE, Suwanee, Ga
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Meh, do mine every time in the screened porch.  Have soot marks over the Eggs, but wear that as a badge of honor.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Mines covered, not screened it. I have fans on the ceiling. Don't get massive amounts of breeze through there, so I use a stand up fan that pushes air towards, and over the egg out of the patio area.

Works well!

If you have some air moving, I'd say you should be fine.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • If you are going to build the porch, just add in a bathroom vent fan for exhausting the smoke..... Easy fix!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    +1 everyone above. Ventilate well (and have a fire extinguisher within arms reach just in case).

I darn near caught the house on fire several years ago, I had a gasser on a screened in porch - was cooking burgers but the grill needed cleaning bad. A Grease fire took off down near the burner, and even after i turned gas off it kept growing. The fire extinguisher literally prevented a catastrophic mess. It still gives me chills.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I would install a vent fan through the the roof.. like an oven fan but, a fan will work also.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    I wouldn't.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • The majority of folks seem to be agree that ventilation is very important. One, or two, fire extinguishers would be a good idea. I just got some new ones recently for the kitchen and garage, will get another pair for outside.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    If you have issues ventilating the smoke, I'd be more concerned that you are not ventilating the Carbon Monoxide. Smoke won't hurt you, but CO can kill you. In addition to a fire extinguisher, you need a good CO alarm.
  • I have mine on the screened patio (or lanai as it's called in Florida) and haven't had any problems. Lanai is screened on three sides, concrete floor and metal ceiling and the slightest breeze clears the smoke.  Main thing is to keep the door to the house closed till the VOCs burn off.
    LBGE  Sanibel, FL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

I have mine on the screened patio (or lanai as it's called in Florida) and haven't had any problems. Lanai is screened on three sides, concrete floor and metal ceiling and the slightest breeze clears the smoke.  Main thing is to keep the door to the house closed till the VOCs burn off.

In Florida do they normally speak Hawaiin?

LOL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Not for me. The black marks on the ceiling would drive me nuts.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    edited August 2014
    I would be really worried about the ventilation.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited August 2014
    I'd only use my egg in a screen in patio if it has an exhaust system, whether it's a fan, or hood, something to dissipate the carbon monoxide.

I use my egg on a patio about 10' from my house, and I make sure the closest window is never open as I'm starting it up.

The discoloration mentioned isn't likely imo.. I think the wind would dissipate the heat, which causes the discoloration - which is actually charring, not just from the smoke.
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    I am a firefighter and have been to many BBQ fires both inside and outside of porches. Fires inside a porch cooker need to be watched a little better and with some extra horizontal ventilation (auxiliary fan) you shouldn't have any issues with smoke buildup around your ceiling. A little common sense and a fire extinguisher go along way...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Very good point, @Sixpack1.  I do cook on a covered, but not screened, deck.  I think the screen could create some real smoke ventilation problems.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I'm with @tarponfisher‌. I have a patio that is adjacent to the pool birdcage. There's plenty of ventilation and I egg under the house overhang all the time. On really hot cooks I wheel the egg out from under the overhang just in case. image
    Dunedin, FL
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    @yzzi my set up is similar to yours. I cook inside my pool enclosure and have never had any ventilation issues. Also like you being in Fla. when it rains I have to roll my table close to the lania where I can stand and cook out of the rain.
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    @KyleEgg‌ I have a 900+ sqft lanai and have the capability of installing a ventilation system. However, I would still advise leaving it outdoors. A popup does wonders. But, that's just my opinion.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    i was able to successfully grill on my screen porch for several months during the winter. No issues with CO that I can reca zzzzzzzzzz, oops sorry, dozed off.  I was worried about leaving the daisy wheel off and bottom vent open and having a flame thrower coming out of the top vent blasting my wood ceiling.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have had my Large and mini on my screened porch for years. The porch has a ceiling fan and I also have a built in charcoal grill that has a vent over it. I run the fan and vent and have had no issues to date other than some minor discoloring on the ceiling. Once my patio is done, the dual table will be built and eggs will relocate outside. Until then, smoking on the porch.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    JethroVA said:
    i was able to successfully grill on my screen porch for several months during the winter. No issues with CO that I can reca zzzzzzzzzz, oops sorry, dozed off.  I was worried about leaving the daisy wheel off and bottom vent open and having a flame thrower coming out of the top vent blasting my wood ceiling.  
    I see what you did there :D.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• boboegg
    boboegg Posts: 46
    I too have a new screen porch and I worried and strategized about smoke dispersal. I investigated hoods and vents.  I have ceiling fans, but a peaked roof. The smoke did accumulate. Then I found a small box fan in the closet and put it cover high, and it works perfectly. I just blow the smoke right out of the smokestack and out the screen.  I have not seen any residue on the screen either. The KISS method worked again.
    LBGE, Lawrenceville, GA
  • I'm in the process of getting quotes for an outdoor kitchen and was advised that a hood would solve my smoky stained wall issue.  My only concern is how long would the blower stay on during long or over night smokes.  My wall and ceiling are fairly stained and my wife is asking for me to clean it on a regular basis and I was hoping that the hood would be a real solution.