Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Dinner

Bobby-Q
Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ChristmasPrimeRib.jpg
<p />What a night.[p]We had plenty of fogged up Nog, wine, homemade mead and some Grand Marnier drinks of various types.[p]Had about 3 pounds of boiled shrimp, pulled pork, ribs, mushrooms, mashed baked potatoes, onion casserole and of course the main course, the prime rib.[p]Did it as a reverse sear even though I had decided not to do it that way because it requires a lot more focus to do it that way, but I was so unfocused when I started I just started it low and slow and went with it.[p]It eded up awesome and everyone seemed to have a blast and enjoyed the food so all in all it was a very Merry Christmas.[p]I hope all of y'all had as good of a time or better and that all of your food was delicous and special!![p]

Comments

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Bobby-Q,[p]Whew! Does that look good![p]Glad a good time was had by all![p]DD
  • Bobby-Q,
    Looks Awesome!

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Bobby-Q,[p]Looks good, did my second end sear on a prime rib on Christmas Eve (posted below). Wanted to ask, did you have the same problem with the major fire and flashback during the sear.[p]My BOL makes some serious mead and apple wine. I swear he must have a still somewhere in the mountains... good stuff.[p]Scott

• WVU-Egg
    WVU-Egg Posts: 101
    eggor,
    I had some SERIOUS flashback during the sear. The smell of freshly burned arm hair. Nothing like it.[p]The Prime Rib roast that I fixed came out PERFECT. One 8 lb one and another 5 lb one. Couldn't have asked for it to come out better for my first time fixing Prime Rib.

• Bobby-Q
    eggor,
    I didn't have any flashback issues but I have a way of opening the Egg during high temp cooks that has never gotten me a flashback. I crack it an inch or 2 then shut it back real quick and then open it again at regualr pace. I was actually worried about flashback on this one because I didn't have the chance to clean out that Egg and the cook before when I added some lump it turned out to be about 2 cups of dust that got dumped onto fairly small chunks of lump.[p]I had plenty of flare ups when I was turning that monster though, but that was fun.[p]:)

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Bobby-Q,
    That looks great Bobby...Hope Santa was good to you.
    Larry

• Bobby-Q,[p]"Now that's what I'm talking about!"

• Bobby-Q
    YB,
    Thanks Larry. Santa was good as usual, he brought my friends over for dinner...lol.[p]Did you break in that XL yet?

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Bobby-Q,
    Yes I cooked for 12 people at lunch yesterday...I love the XL.Thanks for all of your help Bobby.
    Larry

• eggor
    Bobby-Q,[p]yep, same here, three MAJOR flareups. I ended up using this fork that I made several years ago to flip it, almost wish I had a pitchfork. My BOL just sat there and watched as I was trying to figure out a reasonably safe way to reach in there and flip it. On the final sear I closed the bottom vent and daisey wheel waited 2 minutes. Then proceeded to open the egg, nobody was watching when I actually lifted the dome to retrieve the roast. But they all new it, as the smell of burnt hair began to overide the smell of the Prime rib.LOL[p]Scott

• eggor
    IMG_1469_1.jpg
    <p />oops, for got the pic

• Bobby-Q
    eggor,
    I actually used my pigtail turner. I had to grab it about 1/2 up the rod to keep it from bending,b utit worked like a charm slinging that meat around.

• Bobby-Q,
    THAT is my type of dinner. Promised my wife I wouldn't intervene to much. We had a big ole pot of navy beans, corn bread.
    I lied to her, now I'm in the dog house, I went and cooked a spiral ham on the egg, perfect of course.
    Just trying to catch up with all the great dinners.[p]Mike