Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook advice

Options
I'm trying to adapt this recipe to cook on the egg and I have a couple questions.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Shoulder-with-Salsa-Verde-241343

For pork shoulder:
Position rack in lowest third of oven; preheat to 450°F. Mix garlic, sage, rosemary, coarse kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper in small bowl. Brush oil all over pork, then rub spice mixture all over. Place pork on rack set in roasting pan. Roast 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 300°F and continue to roast until instant read thermometer inserted into center registers 185°F, about 6 1/2 hours. Remove pork from oven; tent with foil to keep warm. Let rest 15 minutes. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces and serve with salsa verde alongside.

A few questions:
-indirect grill is my thought. Correct?

- this calls to be cooked in a roasting pan. Should i find something that will fit on my egg, or can I put it right on the grate?

- it calls for getting the temp up to 450* and then back down to 300*. Is that realistic on the egg? Always takes me a while to cool the fire like that.

- After getting being at 450* will I have enough lump to go 6.5hours at 300*?

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    there are much better cooks than I on this forum, but if I was trying to do this, I would go direct/raised direct as a bit of a sear at 450.  Then close the vents by half of what they are and drop the platesetter in and quickly setup for indirect.  ambient temp platesetter into 450 egg shouldn't be a problem and will help soak up some of that heat to get you on your way back toward 300.  it will just take a while to get the temp restabilized

also, when you light you fire, I would just light in one spot and work it up to 450 rather than several spots like you normally would if you're going to do a hot cook.  this will help manage the fire back down.

gotta have some gloves and do this quickly, but should work.  I wouldn't cook the roast in a pan, just use a drip pan when you get to indirect
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with the 450º/300º thing.  I'd bring my egg up to 350º and hold it steady there.  I did (2) 9 pounders a few weeks ago at 350º and they reached 195º internal meat temp in 5.5 hours, perfect for pulling.  If you only go to 185º internal for slicing as the recipe calls for, you're probably only talking 5 hours total @ 350º.

pictures of the cook:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I agree with @ChokeOnSmoke about keeping 350F for the whole cook. I would use a drip pan so can either place it on the platesetter or place the meat in the pan on the grate. I would go indirect.

Options
    Think your recipe uses what I call an oven sear, 450º-500º to start the cook. A hot pan sear can burn your seasoning, while an oven sear allows your herbs to work some flavour magic. Most butt cooks don't bother with a sear and always produce good bark. 
    Cook indirect, with a trip pan to catch the drippings. In an oven, you need a pan as drippings make a big mess on the bottom. 
    I'm thinking 300º for the whole cook is fine as well, 350º is kinda like a turbo butt.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If you you are pulling at 185° you will be slicing the pork not pulling it. Is that correct. I would go with 300° to 350° and just monitor your temp so you don't miss 185. It could be done in 4 to 5 hours at that temp. You could also just sear it in a skillet on your range to lock in flavor, but I prefer to just let it go in the egg all the way. I've done one at 300° to 350° in about 5 hours to 185° and it had great bark and tasted awesome. I did it for Mothers Day.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Just my $0.02:

1) you are correct sir, I'd go indirect all the way for this type of cook

2) if you decide to cook indirect then I would put the butt directly on the grate and put a drip pan on the plate setter to catch the dripping. Be sure there is some space between the drip pan and the plate setter so the drippings won't scorch and impart a bitter flavor to the meat

3 and 4) like the other have said id just go 300 for the duration of the cook. If you really want a sear you can always pull the plate setter at the end if the cook and quickly do a reverse sear over direct heat